What is your best and worst hunting skill?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

What is your best and worst hunting skill?

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:55 am

Saw this on another site and though it was a great topic for discussion.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Brad

Re: What is your best and worst hunting skill?

Unread postby Brad » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:01 am

My best is I a have a gut instinct that has lead me to a ton of deer, and I usually go with it if possible, its like I can see a spot and it "just feels right" and a lot of times it is. This seems to work throughout the entire season. My worst is I stay up way too late at night and it is next to impossible to wake me up in the morning and get me out (probably why most of my bowkills are in the evening). That and I tend to rely on scent control instead of the wind being in my favor too much, but I am working on that.
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:07 am

My best hunting assets is picking gut instinct spots. Like Lamont said, "it just feels right". My worst, however, is I for some reason or another make entirely too much noise when trying to get to my stand and getting set-up. I might as well send out a flare with my exact location....
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:23 am

It seems my best skill is obtaining permission to hunt. I knock on doors and they seem to open for me.
My worst skill is everything else I guess. I rarely even see a buck I want to shoot, let alone get in bow range of one. Maybe I need my eyes checked? :lol:
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:26 am

Best skill is persistance. I haven't missed a morning or afternoon since September 15th besides when work, weddings or events interfere. This afternoon will be the first afternoon I am chosing not to hunt only because I have to be at a Christmas party by 7. Just would be rushing it. I feel horribly guilty about not going out, and were talking about missing out on one afternoon. Iff im free and don't hunt I will be miserable the whole time, I learned about 5 years ago that hunting wasn't an option, it was athe must LOL.

My worst would be my scouting.......not that I don't scout pre season.....I pretty much live in the woods, just that I see now that all of the time spent scouting was wastefull because I didn't know what I should have been looking for (bedding) or what to do with it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:40 am

See avatar.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:54 am

GRFox wrote:Best skill is persistance. I haven't missed a morning or afternoon since September 15th besides when work, weddings or events interfere. This afternoon will be the first afternoon I am chosing not to hunt only because I have to be at a Christmas party by 7. Just would be rushing it. I feel horribly guilty about not going out, and were talking about missing out on one afternoon. Iff im free and don't hunt I will be miserable the whole time, I learned about 5 years ago that hunting wasn't an option, it was athe must LOL.

My worst would be my scouting.......not that I don't scout pre season.....I pretty much live in the woods, just that I see now that all of the time spent scouting was wastefull because I didn't know what I should have been looking for (bedding) or what to do with it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I can relate to that. I have mellowed over time though and do miss a day or two now and then. I still get the itch when I'm not in a tree during hunting season though. I also get bummed when the season is over.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:56 am

Zap wrote:See avatar.

I believe you, I followed your blizzard hunt a few years ago and last year for that matter.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:31 am

My best skill is dealing with huntings lows and making the best of it... I can take a bad or mediocre spot and produce a solid buck, when most would give up after not seeing a single deer for several weeks.
My worst skill? Probably don't practice shooting enough.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:15 am

My best skill ....is luck. :mrgreen:

And my worst skill is holding out for the really big one (I just like to shoot deer), and getting kills on film.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:04 am

My best skill is determination and a never give up attitude. I learned a long time ago the only way to get to this point is by having plenty of patience and you have to generally love hunting or it's easy to give up when you have a string of bad days. I believe in hunting hard and earning every deer I kill and would find it much more rewarding killing a deer on the last day of the season after hunting very hard all year versus killing a deer on opening day. Of course this only applies to bowhunting and gun hunting is a different story for me. One day and done would be fine with me!! :lol:

My worst skill I would say is paying attention to details. When scouting I zip right through an area and need to spend more time really paying attention to what is going on around me. Another thing is I need to believe in the spots I scout and focus on hunting them more because I tend to keep hunting spots that were good in the past. The problem is that things change from year to year(hunting pressure,food sources, deer population) and I need to adapt better to what is changing around me.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:56 am

My worst(s)- I'm almost embarassed about how much noise I make setting up in a tree that isn't trimmed up ahead of time....at least the trees that have a lot of branches on the way up or a ton of junk around the base of the tree. Also recongnizing the subtle sign, like a buck bed or a buck's tracks. Also putting the peices of the puzzle together. I seem to have the "oh yeah" momment when I see the buck as I'm hunting or after he busts me or when I'm laying in bed that night after he busted me earlier that evening.
My best- I keep trying despite not shooting big deer way more than I do shoot them.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:35 am

My best skill... probably deciphering topos and aerials to find good places to sit going in blind. I used to suck at this but after help from guys like Dan I've gotten pretty good at it. Sometimes I'll mull over a map for hours trying to decide between like 3 locations based on logic rather than gut, but the one I end up picking usually produces. I can't tell you how many times on public or private I've walked in to a new spot, go to put my sticks on the tree and there's already some decade old tree steps in it. Twice this year I've been able to find stands in the dark in a 640 acre woodlot based on taking someone else verbal description and converting it to a GPS location on a topo map.

Worst skill... woodsmanship. Show me 10 different trees and I might be able to name 3 of them. I can't tell you what kind of bird is chirping on that branch. Show me two plants with 3 leaf cluster and I couldn't tell you which one is poison ivy. I'm typically pretty noisy walking through the woods, especially in dark. When I'm putting up or taking a stand down I could have someone walk right up to me and be completely oblivious to their presence. I always seem to pick the most difficult route from A to B and end up sweaty at the base of the tree. If it's not a deer, turkey, or duck, I don't know much about it. But I am working on those things. I already know much more than I did last year, but have a long, long ways to go. It'll be a lifelong journey.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:42 am

Worst-I move to fast through the woods and I just can't be 100% silent when I am setting up. Also, when I set up for an all day sit I tend to get twitchy!

Best- Not a skill BUT a desire to always learn. I never claim, and never will claim, to know it all. I spend a lot of time in the woods year round and whether I am scouting, hunting, or reading books/magazines/the internet I am always on a quest for more knowledge and a better understanding of whatever it is that I am after. I can't think of any actual skills that I am good at, YET.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:12 pm

Best- Not a skill BUT a desire to always learn. I never claim, and never will claim, to know it all. I spend a lot of time in the woods year round and whether I am scouting, hunting, or reading books/magazines/the internet I am always on a quest for more knowledge and a better understanding of whatever it is that I am after. I can't think of any actual skills that I am good at, YET.

The desire to learn, improve and advance is a great asset in hunting. Its also a great trait to analize why you fail or succeed to the point obssesion.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”