Deer sight in the Dark

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

Deer sight in the Dark

Unread postby PredatorTC » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:50 pm

How well do you think a deer can see in the dark. My buddy told me where I should set up the other day in a woods on a morning hunt. I told him that the deer are feeding in the field 300 yards away and will see me walking through the open woods. He laughed and told me that they cant see that far in the dark.

I would think they can see just fine.... Maybe im wrong?

RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Re: Deer sight in the Dark

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:51 pm

great question, always wondered this myself while I'm walking in on morning hunts
When better is possible, good is never good enough
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:52 pm

PredatorTC wrote:How well do you think a deer can see in the dark. My buddy told me where I should set up the other day in a woods on a morning hunt. I told him that the deer are feeding in the field 300 yards away and will see me walking through the open woods. He laughed and told me that they cant see that far in the dark.

I would think they can see just fine.... Maybe im wrong?

i think they see farly good . one mouring i did what you said and started walking across this 300 acre feild and they were on the other end and they blew at me and ran off :doh: :roll:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:06 pm

I actually think they see better in the dark than daytime. Don't know for a fact but they run through the woods at night and don't run into any trees.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:09 pm

I read an article awhile back that said deer can see as well at night as we can during the day. Something with rods and cones in their eyes are really different. Wish I could find that article.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:14 pm

Not the one I was talking about but this one might have the info you are looking for....... http://home.comcast.net/~gefferts/deervis.htm

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:33 pm

Even if they can see better in the dark, it's almost as if they know that we can't see well in the dark. I've walked past deer very close by on the way in or out at dark, and they just watch me go past. As soon as I stop, they get nervous and run off. This could even be in an open field.
NightwishMike
500 Club

Unread postby NightwishMike » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:38 pm

bowhunter15 wrote:Even if they can see better in the dark, it's almost as if they know that we can't see well in the dark. I've walked past deer very close by on the way in or out at dark, and they just watch me go past. As soon as I stop, they get nervous and run off. This could even be in an open field.

I've had that happen to me as well.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:15 pm

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:08 pm

I'd be interested to see how their rods and cones are positioned in their eyes.

In humans, the cones are centered on the fovea (the very back of your eyes) and the rods are positioned around the fovea. This explains why your eyes can see color images (cones) when you're directly focused on something, but have a hard time depicting exact images that are in your periphery. However, you can pick out movement in the periphery quite well because of the location of the rods.

Try this sometime. When it's low light, and you're trying really hard to focus on something, try flicking your focus a little off of the object. You can usually see it better when you do this, because its the rods that are picking up the light. Wonder if deer's receptors are similar.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:26 pm

I actually think they see better in the dark than daytime.

I think they see better in the dark than we do (obviously).....and not as well in the daytime as many think. I think they see REALLY good in low-light conditions (dusk/dawn).

I'm way more worried about my scent going out in the PM's or to stand in the AM's than I am a deer seeing me. I don't think that's an issue. Even if they see "me"....they don't (IMO) have a clue what "me" is (in the darkness). Deer blow and run off for many reasons.

I try not to underestimate their senses. But, I don't give them the 'supreme being' visual powers I once did. Anything that can look up into a tree in broad daylight @ me (6'1" / 200#).....and 20sec's later swish it's tail and move on......can't be doing THAT great.

If you move.....they'll probably bust you. Conceded. But, their lack of depth perception gets a lot of them killed.
Lateral Bowhunter
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:21 pm

I bet the moon phase plays into how far they see. To see, there has to be some light. The more the moon provides, the further they can see.

Just don't cross the woods upwind of them, I know they'll be gone if you do that. ;)
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:28 pm

Dewey wrote:Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky_7I3iF ... ata_player

dude nice vid that was awsome i like wacthing deer and deerhunting tv
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:34 pm

Interesting video, thanks

I agree with JRM6868, deer can run full speed through a thick woods at night, I'm convinced they can see very well at night.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:31 am

Cool video! Thanks

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”