LATE SEASON BOW REPORTS...FINALLY

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Chasman

LATE SEASON BOW REPORTS...FINALLY

Unread postby Chasman » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:03 pm

It is hard to get used to wearing orange and carrying a bow, but I will do what I am told. My first night out for the late season and I was a little late. There were 2 young ones making there way into the alfalfa field at 2:45 PM. I thought it might be a good night for feeding and I was right. I had to hang stand, hook already up without them seeing me, about 100yds out. Got it done, they moved off and later big doe or small buck came out to feed. Surprised how they are still hitting the alfalfa. Its not yellow yet still green so I guess they don't mind. Hopefully get in earlier tomorrow and see what happens.. Good Luck. Almost hit a couple coming home. Could make out other deer in some fields on drive home.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: LATE SEASON BOW REPORTS...FINALLY

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:07 pm

Been seeing a nice buck hitting the slayerseed plot about an hour after shooting. Went out tonight and tracked it back about 400 yards... Guess that was not far enough cause he did not step out in shooting light.
My daughter seen a big buck on the public land in Jefferson marsh yesterday feeding a 1/2 hour before dark in view of the road :?
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:14 pm

dan wrote:Been seeing a nice buck hitting the slayerseed plot about an hour after shooting. Went out tonight and tracked it back about 400 yards... Guess that was not far enough cause he did not step out in shooting light.
My daughter seen a big buck on the public land in Jefferson marsh yesterday feeding a 1/2 hour before dark in view of the road :?

dan do you think the deer was pushed from other hunters that day
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:16 pm

dan do you think the deer was pushed from other hunters that day

NO
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:04 am

go after him dan.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:32 am

We still have muzzloader in so still need orange but, I have noticed the deer in one of my spots feed in the alfalfa field before heading into the picked corn field.

I am excited for gun to end and the orange to disappear!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:25 pm

Antlerless hunt Thursday until Sunday then I will be very happy to be back in camo again.

Wish we would get some snow on the ground soon!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:30 pm

Dewey wrote:Antlerless hunt Thursday until Sunday then I will be very happy to be back in camo again.

Wish we would get some snow on the ground soon!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

SAME HERE 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:23 pm

I thought the high pressure from yesterday would stick around longer than it did. Wind was supposed to be 9 mph. More like 12-15 mph and gusting higher. Needless to say with all the mild weather I under estimated the wind chill I was bone cold. Hardly made closing. Did not see any deer from stand seen a couple of coming out in alfalfa. More on the way home. I will wait a week or so to hit it again.
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:38 pm

Back at it again tonight. Was not expecting much, had a good long nose doe at last minute come out. She did not work my way. Light fading and closing time was approaching. She was around 50 yds away did not want her to see me get down so I did 4 mouth snorts and she ambled off. Don't know if doing this helps when climbing down. What do you do besides wait them out?

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:11 am

Chasman wrote:Back at it again tonight. Was not expecting much, had a good long nose doe at last minute come out. She did not work my way. Light fading and closing time was approaching. She was around 50 yds away did not want her to see me get down so I did 4 mouth snorts and she ambled off. Don't know if doing this helps when climbing down. What do you do besides wait them out?

[ Post made via iPod ] Image

"What do you do besides wait them out?"

Bark like a dog.
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:32 pm

John wrote.. "Bark like a Dog" are you serious. I don't know, I think my mouth snorts sound a bit better than a dog bark. Went out again tonight, light wind conditions seemed good. Nothing seen in stand or coming out and going home. Going to give it a rest for a couple days maybe go out on Thurs or Friday. The best part was wearing my comfortable camo!!
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:20 pm

Froze tonight! Hunted a blind in Oneida county I set up a couple weeks ago. Ground was frozen so I didn't pull it tight and stake it down. It is just a small pop up blind I can usually draw my bow back in but just barely. With bulkier clothes on, the weight of some snow, and no stakes I was unable to silently draw back. I sat tight figuring I was already there might as well stick it out and see what is around. A doe and fawn stepped out close to the blind at last light and caught wind of me and took off. The neighbors to the south planted corn this year, the first agriculture in the area in years, and its standing the deer are stacked up down there. To the east there is 40 acres of land that was cut off last year. I saw a handful of deer in there feeding at 3pm this afternoon. The snow is CRUNCHY and the woods are really quiet, making getting close very difficult. Not to mention there are few deer left on our private land that I can hunt.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:03 am

Hunted last Friday. Area seems to be drying up some. This is the first year I hunted this property and feel that the winter move may have been made by most of the deer holding on the property. I don't think it happens every where or as much as it did in the past but winter yarding when seen is unreal. We have a woods about 3 miles away that from hunting pressure and the onset of winter holds hundreds of deer. Its amazing how many deer concentrate in this one woodlot. And no I don't have permission to hunt. May not get out till after Christmas... Good luck and Merry Christmas to all "Beasts"
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:05 pm

Hunted hard all weekend I was in pursuit of one of two bucks I would like to shoot that I know survived gun season, or a fawn. I wanted to shoot a fawn because I have had a rough season losing 2 does and wanted redemption, plus if the winter is harsh in this area the fawns are less likely to survive than an adult doe.

Friday evening I hunted close to a bait pile and had a doe and fawn come in at last light but winded me and busted out of there. I noticed lots of coyote tracks.

Saturday morning made 7 stands for coyotes and covered tons of public land scouting/calling. No yotes showed and it was a balmy 2 degrees when I left the house if the weather man was telling the truth. I drove the truck through the woods to break a trail through the crunchy snow so I could sneak into my spots for the afternoon without crunching. Also was a warm way to scout without leaving scent around. Refreshed the bait behind the house.

Saturday afternoon I had my spot picked out and snuck in but running a little late. I heard rustling in the brush when I got there. Ended up being 2 or 3 unidentifiable deer that eventually busted me. Set up anyhow and saw 4 more deer before dark all appeared to be does, no shots. Left the stand hanging.

Sunday morning I went to the same stand and got in there before light. Saw and heard no deer. Slow, cold morning. I recently got a 12volt battery operated heated jacket made by Milwaukee Tool. Talk about SWEET! In 12degree weather I was sweating sitting still on stand! It breaks wind too and isn't bulky, fits perfect under the predator fleece.
Took the truck through the woods more and found where the deer were leaving bedding heading up to our feed pile behind the house.

Sunday evening I snuck in there and battled with a maple tree to get set up. Finally got set and sat til it was good and dark with out seeing a deer. Packed up, headed out calling it a weekend. No success!

This morning went up there to pull a ground blind and trail camera, stock grandpas deer stand with wood for his little wood stove, and put out the last of the bait for the deer. We took a ride through the woods and there stood an 8pointer looking at the truck ten yards off the trail just browsing at 9am. I would have shot him had he walked by my stand once this weekend.

My season is pretty much done. I could bore you with more typing but I have a few interviews, work to take care of, Christmas to celebrate and my tonsils are coming out before the new year so my season is pretty much done which sucks. I thought I had a good season but there were too many low's, I was hoping to end on a high note, guess not.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”