B&C 3.5 year old bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hunter74

Re: B&C 3.5 year old bucks

Unread postby Hunter74 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:20 pm

It's true that size is misleading, you hav to look more at how the deer is built... For the most part (there's always exceptions) as a buck reaches maturity its chest and shoulders will become broad, dense and sorta massive looking compared to the rest of the body. It's back will start to sway as well as get a kinda pot belly or barrel look... Another thing to look at is the head, a lot of times as a buck ages his head will get fatter (for lack of a better way to describe it) giving it a look that makes it seem it has a short broad nose. Kind of a "roman nose" look...

I would agree that there has been a lot of big and even booner class bucks shot that are only 3 year olds...

I have shot several bucks that I'm very confident were all 3 year olds and they ranged from 126" to 150" in antler size... I also shot one buck (kind of an oops) that was a 2 year old with a rack just shy of pope and young... I kinda kick myself for that one, now I look twice shoot once lol

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:33 pm

I agree Dan that Booners can be spit out even on farms with high densities.... I believe low social stress, ample food and browse makes for bigger bodies and possibly bigger racks? That and age in my opinion is why certain areas of the WI CWD zone are spitting out more gigantic bucks than ever before... Age probably is the bigger factor.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:47 pm

I also read that Milo Hansons World Record was aged at 3 1/2 year old.

Back in 2002 I shot a 9 point that I assumed was 2 1/2 years old but when I walked up to him I was shocked that he was actually a 1 1/2 and scored just under 100". This bucks age was verified by a taxidermist. I was kinda bummed thinking what that buck could have been at 3 1/2 years old! :(
After that buck I vowed that when in doubt pass up on the shot and since then have raised my standards for what I want to shoot.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:51 pm

Dewey wrote:I also read that Milo Hansons World Record was aged at 3 1/2 year old.

Back in 2002 I shot a 9 point that I assumed was 2 1/2 years old but when I walked up to him I was shocked that he was actually a 1 1/2 and scored just under 100". This bucks age was verified by a taxidermist. I was kinda bummed thinking what that buck could have been at 3 1/2 years old! :(
After that buck I vowed that when in doubt pass up on the shot and since then have raised my standards for what I want to shoot.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I tracked and found a buck for a guy who called asking for help last week... He discribed it as a big buck. It was about a 80 class 1 1/2 year old... He was very happy and said it was the biggest buck he ever shot. I am sure he was unaware of the age, and I did not tell him.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:13 pm

While there definatly are genetic superior B&C 3.5 y/o's, there's no way that "most" are that young.I'd say Wis and Ia are two places where young deer can be big, but thats not the norm. I'd venture to say most 170+ bucks are at least 4.5. Most deer need age to get that big.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:43 am

Spysar wrote:While there definatly are genetic superior B&C 3.5 y/o's, there's no way that "most" are that young.I'd say Wis and Ia are two places where young deer can be big, but thats not the norm. I'd venture to say most 170+ bucks are at least 4.5. Most deer need age to get that big.

X2 ! Sure, you will get your great genetic bucks that get to a 170" at 3 1/2, but like Spy said, I think they need age on their side to get that kind of score normally.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:04 am

Stanley wrote:If you go to any of the deer classics there are lots of 170 inch class bucks taken during that year.

Its obvious that you've never been to a deer classic in VA, NC, SC, TN, GA, AL.....and the list goes on and on!!!

With that said... I think Stanley and Dan know there bucks and I would agree with them. But theres a whole world outside of there little world's and its not the wounder land of big buck hunting.

I spend a lot of time in IL and live in KY and this is what I see. In IL the 140-150" bucks will out number the 140-150" bucks in KY 20 to 1.....BUT the occasional giant 180+ bucks will only out number ours by around 2 to 1.... the difference is age structure. Our bucks tend to get big when they get old, there bucks just get big period, lol!!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:15 am

I agree with you guys that 3 1/2 y/o booners are more prevalant in the upper midwest, but thats also where most of the booners come from.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:44 am

ive been following this post and i think its a great post. all i can say is i feel blessed to live/hunt in wisconsin where a 3.5 year old does have the potential to be a 170 inch deer as the genetics are here.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:04 am

Autumn Ninja wrote:[glow=red]I think Stanley and Dan know there bucks and I would agree with them. But theres a whole world outside of there little world's[/glow] and its not the wounder land of big buck hunting.
Bingo Josh! My point exactly. Dan, Stanley, yourself, myself, anyone with deer knowledge, knows THEIR area and what It can produce. I sit here and watch what some give on the age of a buck they shot or have trail cam pics of and say there's no way that's the norm for my little spot I hunt.

I spend a lot of time in IL and live in KY and this is what I see. In IL the 140-150" bucks will out number the 140-150" bucks in KY 20 to 1.....BUT the occasional giant 180+ bucks will only out number ours by around 2 to 1.... the difference is age structure. Our bucks tend to get big when they get old, there bucks just get big period, lol!!!!
For the most part Josh It takes good age for our bucks here where I hunt also to get good Inches. There's always that exception but for the most part I can't even come close to compare to some of the area's here on this forum.

While there definatly are genetic superior B&C 3.5 y/o's, there's no way that "most" are that young.I'd say Wis and Ia are two places where young deer can be big, but thats not the norm. I'd venture to say most 170+ bucks are at least 4.5. Most deer need age to get that big.
100 THOUSAND percent agree!! :mrgreen:
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:25 am

pretty sure the Decker Buck (also known as the Field and Stream Buck) that was video taped in Buffalo County 3 years ago and featured on the cover of Field and Stream, then shot by Bob (I think) Decker was aged at 3.5

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”