If it has droptines once, will it always have them?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

If it has droptines once, will it always have them?

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:04 am

I thought the answer to this question was rather obvious, but I was talking to someone who showed a picture of a yearling 6 pointer with double droptines, making it an 8. Probably had a 12" spread. He asked if I would shoot it and I said I would likely pass given the situation, thinking about what he'd look like in another couple years. He said something along the lines of, "You never know. The drops could just be a yearly thing. At least this way I can say I shot a buck with double droptines."

As we all know the trophy is in the eyes of the hunter and he was proud of his deer and I congratulated him on it. But as for his statement about the droptines magically disappearing with his next rack, that can't be right can it? I was under the impression that unique rack features like that always stay with a buck. After all, how could guys who glass and collect trail cam pics follow a particular deer year after year, right?

The only thing that made me wonder a little bit on his side was that I've heard certain trauma's or injuries can cause deformations on a rack. If they healed, I'm not sure that the same deformations would continue to grow as they aren't genetic, only environmental factors that caused them.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: If it has droptines once, will it always have them?

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:26 am

I have noticed bucks that didn't have drop tines get them when older, but most deer that have them one year have them the next.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:29 am

I hope they come back. I passed up a double drop tine this year hoping he gets bigger. I got good footage of him at least.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:33 am

Spysar wrote:I hope they come back. I passed up a double drop tine this year hoping he gets bigger. I got good footage of him at least.

:shock: :shock: :shock: WHAT :naughty:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:58 am

I'd like to think the droptines stay through the life cycle of the deer. I pass up a lot of deer every year thinking they'll be even bigger next year with the same character. Many of the bucks I pass I see the following year with the same character. At that point, I usually give them a name.

I passed up a 2 year old this year with split g2s and small split starting on his g3 on WI public land. I haven't picked a name, but I hope to see him next year. He could explode into a heck of a buck.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:26 pm

Drops come, drops go, sometimes they switch sides, etc. I had a buck that was 4 years old before he developed a drop and has never had one since. I know it's the same deer because he has a notch in his right ear and have a number of years of history with him

Nice work on the pass Spy, a drop doesn't necessarily mean shoot, gunna be a tank next go around.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:27 am

No from my experience...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:50 am

I think the chances are slight he may have them again. Points aren't memory retentive like injuries to racks in velvet are. That said an 8 pointer isn't always an 8 pointer. A 12 pointer isn't always a 12 pointer. So you never know. The chances are better for a buck that has had drop tines to have them again than a buck that never has had them.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:24 am

So obviously drop tine bucks are rare but how rare are they in your area? Depending on genetics I am sure some areas have plenty of them and others extremely rare to none. Several years back a guy I hunt with shot a buck very similar to the one bowhunter15 described, main frame 6 with 2 drop tines, probably a two year old but not a huge rack. I confirmed with elders and neighbors that was the first drop tine buck shot in the area during the 50-55 years they have hunted there. So its nice to know it is possible, however I don't hold much hope for myself actually tagging a mature drop tine buck let alone see one.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:32 am

They are pretty rare by me... I can only recall one 8 frame that had matching "S" shaped drops. I only seem him one season, and never got him in range.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:03 am

I'd agree they are very rare. I've never seen a double drop tine buck. Only a single drop tine that I unsuccessfully hunted in 2007. Like Dan, he disappeared on me.

[ Post made via Palm ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”