SHot a big one... need help!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

Re: SHot a big one... need help!

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:05 am

Did a lot of walking and no luck. I found exactly where I shot him and no hair. I went to where I last saw him and nothing. I walked the edges of all the plowed fields and no fresh tracks cutting across them. THe fenclines that run into the swamp are super brushy and super thick and wide. I went inside the fenclines where they often bed and gridserched them with no luck. THe one obvious place he headed was down intothe swamp. Its a brushy cattail swamp and I know where all the buck and doe bedding is.

Here is the kicker. My gun is sighted for 80 yards because I almost never hunt fields. I guessed him to be at 100 yards. Turns out it was 120. Im not sure how much my bullet drops at that distance. I put the cross hairs right the middle of his vitals giving myself the most room for error. Maybe I shot below him?

So the plan is to hunt tonight and see if his woman pulls him out. Then Ill head into the swamp tomorrow and start looking.

Very dissapointed once again this year. It was a cake shot

NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:17 am

http://bloodglow.com/store/index.php?ma ... ex&cPath=1
Never tried it. Don't know if it works. But in your situation I would try it.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:26 am

Predator, I know you feel disappointed this year man. But from my perspective, you are out there in the hunting grind, trying to make it happen every single hunt. You have been on some nice bucks and seem to really know your hunting areas. You have my respect and I wish you the best of luck.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:14 am

Here is a crazy twist!!
I was sitting in one of the two places I thought he would come back out. Guess where he came back!!?! CHoice B! He was standing in the exact same spot as this morning. He came back to look for his doe he got seperated from. I once again ran and snuck up to him only this time I was a little rushed. I aimed at the top of his back and squeezed off. this time and he ran the same direction same distance again. If I hit him it wasnt good. Gonna look for blood at the POI and then wait for morning. Im thinkin its a miss tho. I just feel better I did not wound him this morning. We shall see aobut tonihgts bullet tho. Im thinking a miss
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:16 am

PredatorTC wrote:Here is a crazy twist!!
I was sitting in one of the two places I thought he would come back out. Guess where he came back!!?! CHoice B! He was standing in the exact same spot as this morning. He came back to look for his doe he got seperated from. I once again ran and snuck up to him only this time I was a little rushed. I aimed at the top of his back and squeezed off. this time and he ran the same direction same distance again. If I hit him it wasnt good. Gonna look for blood at the POI and then wait for morning. Im thinkin its a miss tho. I just feel better I did not wound him this morning. We shall see aobut tonihgts bullet tho. Im thinking a miss

wow dude i dont realy know what to say :? :? :?
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:18 am

Predator, if it comes down to grid searching, use your gps to aid the search. Start at the last place you saw him and set that as a waypoint. Now set the gps units to yards (not feet), and do a 50 yrd circle (or semi circle) around that way point. Then, next pass do a 100 yrd circle, next 150 yrds. etc. leave your bread crumb trail on to record every step. Doing this you can be sure you have checked every square inch of your search area. You don't even need an extra guy helping to cover a pretty large area fast and efficient. If you do have a guy or two helping make sure they all have a gps and do it this way. This technique has helped me find deer that had no blood trail. Good luck!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:23 pm

I am amazed that he came back to the exact same spot again. :o Wonder if that doe is in heat since it is almost perfect timing for the 2nd rut if there is such a thing. Good luck again and hope it turns out for you this time. If you missed again I guess it just wasn't meant to be. If that's the case nothing you can do but move on to the next and maybe bigger one. ;) Otherwise you could set up in the same spot and maybe get another crack at him. You just never know.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:24 pm

I'd head to the shooting range, and check that gun.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:42 pm

Spysar wrote:I'd head to the shooting range, and check that gun.

X2, I was thinking the same. Not being a A-hole or anything. But I would get to the range with it, you may have smacked it on something and not realized it. Bricking 2 layups is a sinking feeling. Don't let it happen a 3rd time if it is your equipment. Just eliminate that option asap. Confidence in you weaponry is as important as confidence in your stand location. At least it has been that way for me. If I missed twice badly like that inside 100yds with a scope, and I am slightly arrogant about my shooting apptitude, I wouldn't have much confidence in that fire arm. Not now at least.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:38 am

Two things. Good Luck and for your own peace of mind get to a range and make sure your muzzleloader is on.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:52 am

About 5 years ago I was hunting at my friend Dave's farm and shot 4 times with my scoped shotgun at a doe at close range and finnaly she trotted off and then a few minutes later a large buck walked by at 25 yards. I ended up shooting about 15 times and then the buck ran right at me and trotted by the base of the tree and I just aimed the gun at it without useing the sites and shot it. Checking the buck out that was the only shot that touched it. the last one where I did not use the sights. After a long search we found the doe with a hit to the hoof and one in the liver. I skipped the next days hunt and and sighted the gun again ( it was sighted a few days before ) and it was off by about 14 inches at 50 yards :shock:
Not really sure how that happened, but I now check the guns after any bump or miss that should of been a hit. ;)
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:46 pm

HEs ALIVE! Went shinning tonight and there he Stood! Im very happy to see this... he looked real healthy too. Gonna be a good late season bow kill ;)

You guys think he would make 140 class?

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:33 pm

I don't think he will make 140's. Probably more like low 130's from those pics.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:52 pm

I'd say 138- 140 go get him!!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:53 pm

135 sounds about right, good luck with him TC.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”