Anybody been having any luck with the muzzleloader?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bucky

Re: Anybody been having any luck with the muzzleloader?

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:21 am

I'd rather they move it back not forward... the later the better. WE NEED SOME COLD COLD WEATHER!

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
browning3

Unread postby browning3 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:43 am

175 yard shot with the smokepole on Friday about 10-15 minutes before closing. Biggest doe I've ever shot. Absolute horse.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:27 am

Bucky wrote:I'd rather they move it back not forward... the later the better. WE NEED SOME COLD COLD WEATHER!

And ruin my late bow season!!! :shock:
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:42 pm

Bucky wrote:I'd rather they move it back not forward... the later the better. WE NEED SOME COLD COLD WEATHER!

But if it gets too late we will have bucks that have shed shot as does.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:57 pm

Rutnstrut wrote:

But if it gets too late we will have bucks that have shed shot as does.

Great point! In past years I know of a few mature bucks that were shot late bow season that were mistaken for "a big doe".

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:31 pm

I got an idea. How bout get rid of muzzle loader season all together. Honestly if you can shoot 200 yards with a ten power scope on your muzzle loader why do you need a special season??? I'm sick of all the extra seasons and trying to make it so everyone has their own special season. How bout a recurve season, then a compound, then a crossbow, then a shotgun, then a muzzle loader, then a rifle, then also have all these seasons first for the youth hunters :roll: I guess you know how I feel now :lol:
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:37 pm

adrenalin wrote:I got an idea. How bout get rid of muzzle loader season all together. Honestly if you can shoot 200 yards with a ten power scope on your muzzle loader why do you need a special season??? I'm sick of all the extra seasons and trying to make it so everyone has their own special season. How bout a recurve season, then a compound, then a crossbow, then a shotgun, then a muzzle loader, then a rifle, then also have all these seasons first for the youth hunters :roll: I guess you know how I feel now :lol:

I agree with you 100%, the ML season was meant to be a primitive weapon season, now it's just an extended rifle season.
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:07 pm

Rutnstrut wrote:
adrenalin wrote:I got an idea. How bout get rid of muzzle loader season all together. Honestly if you can shoot 200 yards with a ten power scope on your muzzle loader why do you need a special season??? I'm sick of all the extra seasons and trying to make it so everyone has their own special season. How bout a recurve season, then a compound, then a crossbow, then a shotgun, then a muzzle loader, then a rifle, then also have all these seasons first for the youth hunters :roll: I guess you know how I feel now :lol:

I agree with you 100%, the ML season was meant to be a primitive weapon season, now it's just an extended rifle season.

Extended season with very little pressure and you actually get some natural deer movement. It actually takes skill, unlike our 9 day season. I don't mind it at all. I agree with Bucky though, I wish it was pushed back a week or two.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
moosehound

Unread postby moosehound » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:19 pm

Sat in the rain Saturday evening didn't see anything. Sunday evening saw 4 doe at about 3:30. :shock: First doe I have seen all season.

I have always hoped they would push the muzzleloader season back one week. Start it the Saturday following the gun season. Then make it completely seperate if you purchase a tag for the muzzleloader season you cannot hunt the gun season. Same if you hunt the gun season you cannot hunt during muzzleloader.

I didn't think they should have allowed high powered scopes on the muzzleloaders either.
I hunt whitetails all year long.
Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:25 pm

I like muzzleloader hunting... At least a bit better than gun season. I think its challenging but I don't use a scope... I did cross the darkside and get an in-line two years back though cause I love hunting in rain and foul weather and I had 2 misfires with the old Hawken... I would like to see ml season pushed back a week, basically have one week of no hunting after gun season for the deer to settle down then a 9 day ml season

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:32 pm

Rutnstrut wrote:

Exactly my thoughts.
Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:56 pm

I like muzzleloader hunting... At least a bit better than gun season. I think its challenging but I don't use a scope... I did cross the darkside and get an in-line two years back though cause I love hunting in rain and foul weather and I had 2 misfires with the old Hawken... I would like to see ml season pushed back a week, basically have one week of no hunting after gun season for the deer to settle down then a 9 day ml season

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:55 pm

I shoot a thompson center percussion cap or cap-lock (whatever you want to call it) muzzleloader. I had it out 6 times and to empty the gun at the end of the hunt you have to fire it. It went off 2 of the 6 times. This is truly a traditional weapon and it was a gift from grandpa. I feel bad retiring it to the gun cabinet forever but I think I will be investing in something more reliable. Part of the problem is not the gun, it is the fact that it is hard to buy true black powder anywhere and I am forced to shoot using pyrodex which attracts moisture. Sorry for venting. I was onto a good buck and I am glad he never stepped out because I would have just given him a scare when the cap snapped and the gun didn't truly fire.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”