LA Hunter Takes 226" Buck that Escaped From Deer Farm

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

Re: LA Hunter Takes 226" Buck that Escaped From Deer Farm

Unread postby muddy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:06 pm

First article stated that they had trail cam pictures of it and knew it was there. I found it amusing that she had it at 10 yards but couldn't get a shot... with a 7mm magnum. I'd have shot thru the tree with that cannon. If given the opportunity I'd grease a big old pen raised deer if he got loose and get him mounted with the ear tag in it still. I have a buddy around Des Moines who has been after an escapee buck for a few years now, deer has gone nocturnal like any other older buck and in the trail cam pics he has of it you can still see the ear tag or else the hole where the tag got ripped out during a fight, I can't remember.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:35 pm

[quote="Brandon"]http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/big-buck-zone/2011/12/louisiana-hunter-takes-226-inch-buck-escaped-deer-enclosure

How lucky would they be if that monster breed a dozen does on that property?

I would cease shooting does now and all little bucks and button bucks starting next season.

quote]

You got that right. I wouldn't hunt my land for a few years now that I think of it. I don't know when their rut gets going but I wonder if Nov 26 is late enough for their temperature. If I was a land owner and I KNEW it was an escapee.... I would have had to think aweful long and hard and try to convince myself not to kill it the first year and hope it breeds. There is no way in the stand I would have been able to make that descision. That is a once in a lifetime opportunity 2 times. Kill a deer that big or have a $50k 226"whatever 3 1/2 year old monster breeding does. The smart move is to let it go. AWWWW , I don't think I could though. Their 480 acres could become a gold mine, literally. ANd the deer that could come of it in the future.... WHOA.

Genetic altering has always taken place over time and has only recently been done in a Lab. That is if you take a time line. Through selective breeding(and culling) look at what they have done in the just past 50 years just with chickens, turkeys, hogs, any livestock really. Pork is as lean as chicken now and that happened in ten yeas it seems.

It is focusing on small mutations from offspring to offspring. Fruit and vegetables even. Heirloom veggies are making a heck of a comeback. Our tomatoes have a completely different flavor, texture and color then what we bought in a store.

IF you job is to grow large bucks, farm or outfitters, I am betting you can make some pretty massive changes in 15 generations of breeding. Which is only 15 years.... figure what 25 years of selective breeding could do espeically if you started out with a top dollar monster. See what they have done in Texas just with supplemental food and culling. Those deer are half the size of the monsters of the midwest but have as larger, crazier racks. And that is in high fences and massive ranches, not even a stable barn where you have MORE control. I am sure that there are some places that have and will adjust things with hormones because they can, I just don't know to what degree I will believe. But I do have a hard time believing that deer got that size by taking a run of the mill deer, and pumping it full like barry bonds. That doesn't seem cost efficent but then again, I am not in that business so I don't have their books. Maybe I am way off. Maybe they parlor up like holsteins and get the shots everyday. Just doesn't seem that likely.

Gene pool, food, and many years of human decided selection.

Check this. Look at their home page after you read the articles. This business is so indepth. They are auctioning bucks to different farms to breed, even does that have been bred and are pregnant. Buck after Buck after buck over 200", 300" and 400". Selling semen for $2k. Just crazy. Way different than what gets it done up here, but that's what they do for a business. Kind of funny how completely different the mentality is. Doesn't seem like hunting.

http://www.texasdeerassociation.com/art ... les_id=185
http://www.texasdeerassociation.com/art ... les_id=277
http://www.texasdeerassociation.com/art ... les_id=227

If you like these articles on deer managent/farming there is more reading I found. On their home page go to Members Benefits and scroll down to Past Issue. They are all there for free.
Last edited by Kodiakman on Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:37 pm

muddy wrote: I found it amusing that she had it at 10 yards but couldn't get a shot... with a 7mm magnum. I'd have shot thru the tree with that cannon.

+1 Muddy
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:17 am

muddy wrote:First article stated that they had trail cam pictures of it and knew it was there. I found it amusing that she had it at 10 yards but couldn't get a shot... with a 7mm magnum. I'd have shot thru the tree with that cannon. If given the opportunity I'd grease a big old pen raised deer if he got loose and get him mounted with the ear tag in it still. I have a buddy around Des Moines who has been after an escapee buck for a few years now, deer has gone nocturnal like any other older buck and in the trail cam pics he has of it you can still see the ear tag or else the hole where the tag got ripped out during a fight, I can't remember.

10 yards and she couldn't get a shot. i would've just threw my gun at him. If they did have trail cam pics I want to see them, otherwise I'll be reserved with their claims.
straitnarrow

Unread postby straitnarrow » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:23 am

there is video on youtube of a deer called "sudden impact" he is 400+ inches and some of the other deer on the video are 200+ as yearlings......I'd say it has gone to far....when a deer struggles to hold his head up when he is walking or even sitting is disgusting.
Bobby G
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:28 pm

I would cease shooting does now and all little bucks and button bucks starting next season.

Any fawns that those does would have, would disperse miles away. Its not even a question in my mind, shoot it!
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:15 pm

So did it walk up and lick her in the face before she shot it??? LOL!!!
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:18 am

VA5326 wrote:So did it walk up and lick her in the face before she shot it??? LOL!!!

Yeah, after she gave him a carrot and petted him on the head! :lol:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:38 am

kenn1320 wrote:

Any fawns that those does would have, would disperse miles away. Its not even a question in my mind, shoot it!

Actually, from what I understand, if you believed he may have bred some of the does, you could indeed get the fawn bucks to stay on the property by shooting there mother after there birth and before the doe kicks the fawns out to leave the area... I remember a study that showed that fawn bucks whose mother was killed prior to rut did not disperse. Fawn does I believe don't disperse, but rather stay in the family group and area.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:25 pm

Brandon wrote:
BigHunt wrote:
addisonlee wrote:It's amazing how deer farms can just grow these monsters.

not realy you would be suprized man ......

genteics

:roll: protein, steriods, hormones.... the best feed, and then after that long list is the genetic part....

You hit the nail on the head Brandon (plus antibiotics to keep them in peak health). Genetics are usually not as limiting as people think. I know of a 9.5 year old buck that was 105" when acquired by Mississippi State University. They fed him a high quality diet (vs the corn based diet he had been on) and at 10.5 years old he jumped to 210". A year older, but double the rack. I used to get into arguments regularly with a local deer farmer about the overstated importance of genetics and told him if our little Michigan spikes and forky's got the same high quality feed, care and age as the high dollar bucks he bought that he would be very surprised. He said "the whole deer industry can't be wrong!" I only stated personal observations and numerous studies that suggested genetics were important, but not nearly much as the industry makes it sound and that few wild bucks ever reach their genetic potential due to lack of age and nutrition as well as environmental & overall health conditions. Long story short, he and his brother in law got so mad at me they went out and darted a wild spike just to prove me wrong. Lets just say they were not happy campers the following year when that little "genetically inferior" spike netted P&Y as a seven point. :lol: :lol:

I have seen the same scenario played out at least three other times that I can remember off hand, plus studies dating back to the late 60's. I wish I had saved all those studies, but I just assumed they would always be there. I was talking to a friend of mine that has a deer farm down in Indiana about how I couldn't find these studies no matter how hard and long I looked and he said it was because deer farmers (the industry?) bought up the publishing rights because they didn't want the public to have this information. What a surprise!

Now that QDM is catching on and people are managing their habitat, places like Louisiana that used to be thought of as having poor genetics are quietly turning out good numbers Giant whitetail bucks. It used to be they would plant "green fields" (cereal grains) to attract deer but these days they are planting much higher quality food sources and making sure it is available all year as well as managing the native habitat in many cases.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:11 am

Good post deerslayer... and I agree.

I have a buddy with a great farm genetic wise... I have seen 1.5 7 and 8 pointers... very small basket racks, but still a nice rack for a very small bodied young deer. This ALWAYS happens when all the fields are soybeans. They rotate and when they plant all corn the yearlings and 2.5s racks usually are horrible. He swears that its because the corn has basically zero nutrional value and that soybeans are very high in protein and the bucks always have larger racks on soybean years.
You can't kill em on the couch
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:22 am

2 years ago a guy that works in one of the local body shops smacked a giant buck that was a deer farm escapee. I cant remember if it was 180 or 200 in but either way it was a giant. He didnt know at the time that it was but word got out and the deer farmer came by and checked it out. He congratulated him on the buck and bought him a beer. The guy was pretty disappointed that it was a farmed buck.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”