using frame pack to carry stand and gear

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wmihunter

using frame pack to carry stand and gear

Unread postby wmihunter » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:42 pm

any one ever used a frame pack to haul their lone wolf, sticks, and gear. After some seriously long hikes up hills etc I am strongly considering it...you can pick them up new for $90. it would certainly be more comfortable but...

Zap

Re: using frame pack to carry stand and gear

Unread postby Zap » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:46 pm

Alice pack and frame can be had for $25.00.

Attach stand with hose clamps.......
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:16 pm

I don't think a frame pack is necessary. I invested in the MOLLE system this year. I also invested in the Claw backpack straps. For an average fall hunt, I routinely carry 5 lone wolf sticks, lone wolf alpha, hunting clothes, a small fanny back with essentials, and a thermal top in ziploc bag (to change out of a sweaty one). If the walk is under 2.5 miles, I'm using the claw backpack straps.
The MOLLE system is no doubt more comfortable; however, the claw systems has less straps to make noise during the set and less straps flopping in the wind after the set. The claw straps are very comfortable. A significant improvement over the factory straps.

I hunt a lot of hill country in SW WI, mostly public. The lactic acid in my legs hurts a lot more than my shoulders.
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:25 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:I don't think a frame pack is necessary. I invested in the MOLLE system this year. I also invested in the Claw backpack straps. For an average fall hunt, I routinely carry 5 lone wolf sticks, lone wolf alpha, hunting clothes, a small fanny back with essentials, and a thermal top in ziploc bag (to change out of a sweaty one). If the walk is under 2.5 miles, I'm using the claw backpack straps.
The MOLLE system is no doubt more comfortable; however, the claw systems has less straps to make noise during the set and less straps flopping in the wind after the set. The claw straps are very comfortable. A significant improvement over the factory straps.

I hunt a lot of hill country in SW WI, mostly public. [glow=red]The lactic acid in my legs hurts a lot more than my shoulders.[/glow]

Take you some water with a little bit of baking soda (teaspoon) on your hunts. It should help buffer the blood lactate and aide in increased lactate threshold. :D

You'll feel like a champ!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:41 pm

;)
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:00 pm

If it's just the shoulders that are getting sore I'd just invest in better straps and maybe a hip belt. Probably be a lot cheaper than a whole frame pack. I've used the frame for late season before when I have 10 pounds of extra clothes and gear but mostly just bungee everything onto the stand and carry like that. The stand in and of itself makes a decent frame, not molded to your back contour, but it's sturdy and rigid. With padded straps and hipbelt you should be fine.

I've also learned to consolidate my gear and learned to only take what is absolutely necessary on long hikes which helps cut down on weight.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:57 am

I wouldnt use the frame... thats just more to carry?

I have the alice straps and molle waist belt attached to my stand.

I bungee my pack (small) and clothes over top of my sticks that I lay down flat (pointing vertical, not above like Zaps)

Works like a charm!

You can't kill em on the couch
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:43 am

great ideas guys! thanks for taking the time to post pics. very cool! I will purchase the molle waist belt in desert camo!
monster6

Unread postby monster6 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:14 am

Brandon wrote:I wouldnt use the frame... thats just more to carry?

I bungee my pack (small) and clothes over top of my sticks that I lay down flat (pointing vertical, not above like Zaps)

Works like a charm!

Brandon, where did you buy your belt and straps from? This looks interesting and might consider one.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:55 am

The alice pack frame weighs a pound and a half...

I find it very comfortable, especially late season when packing clothes in addition to stand/sticks/daypack.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
utica19

Unread postby utica19 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:10 pm

monster6 wrote:
Brandon wrote:I wouldnt use the frame... thats just more to carry?

Works like a charm!

Brandon, where did you buy your belt and straps from? This looks interesting and might consider one.

I am planning on pickup up some straps and waist belt for carrying my LW. My question for those of you with the Alice pack frames... if I order the Pack frame with straps and belt, am I stuck keeping the frame in place, or would I easily be able to remove the frame if i didnt want it on there and just use the straps and belt? If not, I may just order the straps and belt separately.

Any input appreciated. Thanks guys
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:33 pm

utica19 wrote:

I am planning on pickup up some straps and waist belt for carrying my LW. My question for those of you with the Alice pack frames... if I order the Pack frame with straps and belt, am I stuck keeping the frame in place, or would I easily be able to remove the frame if i didnt want it on there and just use the straps and belt? If not, I may just order the straps and belt separately.

Any input appreciated. Thanks guys

You can just unhook the shoulder straps and hip pad then reattach to your stand. It is cheaper to buy the pack frame with the pads on it than purchasing the shoulder pads and kidney belt separate. (at least was for me, I bought the pack and pads for 30 shipped from ebay)
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:37 am

Is it me or do the names of the products indicate who might of created them...???

Sounds like girl names ALICE & MOLLE"!

Just asking - Just saying :lol:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
utica19

Unread postby utica19 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:35 am

Thanks Backstraps. I ordered it off ebay this morning
And yes Ed I think you're right. Women probably know more about comfort? :)

[ Post made via BlackBerry Curve ] Image
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:39 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:Is it me or do the names of the products indicate who might of created them...???

Sounds like girl names ALICE & MOLLE"!

Just asking - Just saying :lol:

"all-purpose lightweight individual carrier for equipment"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”