Completed East TN Mature Buck/Slob Slam

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Footballer

Completed East TN Mature Buck/Slob Slam

Unread postby Footballer » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:13 am

The Good Lord blessed me with two hit list bucks this past Thanksgiving. Best of all, I was able to share this experience with my entire family. This is the first season that I've been able to harvest 3 mature, hit list bucks. What a season!

On the evening of Nov. 26, I harvested "Bama," a 4 1/2 yr old who I have 3 years of history with. I was sitting on a steep bluff overlooking a large beaver pond surrounded by thickets. After watching 3 different doe groups bed around the pond, I slipped out of there for a quick lunch (the location allows me to enter and leave w/o disturbing the deer). When I returned, I noticed 3 of the does were on their feet and acting a little funny. Almost immediately, Bama steps out of a thicket and starts pushing the does around. After confirming it was Bama, I settled in for the long shot and waited for the wind to stop blowing.

This is where it gets crazy. I missed my first shot (insert excuse here), but luckily the buck didn't know where it came from. As I was trying to get another shot, I heard something behind me running straight for me. I couldn't believe who it was- my dang dog! Somebody let her out and when she heard the shot she ran straight to me!

Although she was loud, our location prevented Bama from hearing or seeing either of us. As I'm calming her down, Bama decides to bed down- facing me. After crawling to 5 different locations, I finally found the angle I was looking for. With my dog right beside me, I squeezed the trigger and fired the fatal shot. What a crazy, but memorable hunt- I killed a mature, hit list buck with my dog by my side!

Around lunch the next day, I harvested "High Rise"- a 5 1/2 yr old buck. As many of you know, last Saturday was a nasty, rainy day. Guess who was out cruising around lunch time? With the help of trail cameras, I developed a pretty good idea of this buck's core area. Although I didn't know exactly where he bedded, I located a bench that I felt he used to travel the steep terrain. As the rain continued to fall, I began to doubt my sanity. But, just as they always do, he appeared out of nowhere like a ghost. I grabbed my gun and waited for his chest to enter one of my shooting lanes.

After stopping on his own, I settled the crosshairs and squeezed the trigger. After recovering from the recoil, I watched the brute tear through the woods and run out of sight. Due to the nasty conditions, I took up the trail a little sooner than I usually do. Despite the rain, I was able to follow a heavy blood trail. As I eased along the trail, I peaked over a little rise and saw a big, saggy, white belly. I couldn't believe it, I harvested back-to-back hit list bucks and my first 5 1/2 yr old. It was certainly easy to give thanks!

As with the majority of mature mountain bucks, these guys won't score very high. However, I consider any buck 4 1/2 and older to be a trophy regardless of antler size!

In addition to both bucks, I was able to harvest a big ol' male bobcat. I didn't weigh him, but I would guess he's around 30lbs.

Here is "Bama." If you look closely, you can see a unique point between his right G2 and G3 that makes him easily identifiable:

"High Rise" is on the left, "Bama" on the right:

Here is my wife holding the bobcat:

This is where I killed Bama. This location is one of those rare spots you can hunt multiple times without messing up the area. I can enter and exit the bluff without alerting any deer below me. In fact, I have slipped out of this area several times without disturbing multiple does bedded around the pond. This is one of the few upsides to hunting the mountains of East Tenn!

As I have previously shared, this was my first hit list buck of the year and my first buck with a bow on our property.

Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Re: Completed East TN Mature Buck/Slob Slam

Unread postby Dor » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:27 am

Excellent Photos! Thanks for sharing. :mrgreen:

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:33 am

That there is a truly Happy Thanksgiving! Congrats to you and your family!! Awesome...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:38 am

Great stuff there.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:26 am

Heck of season you had.
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:37 am

Wow, great season. Congrats.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:38 am

CONGRATS and thanks for sharing!!
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:55 am

Dream Season!!!! awesome job
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:12 am

Magnificent! !!

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:22 am

congrats you are slamming em this year, what a great season,!
DeereGuy

Unread postby DeereGuy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:32 am

Congrats..looks like a great place to hunt!
Be safe and enjoy!
Bob
2011 Parker Enforcer
1976 Bear Kodaik Magum Recurve
Summit Viper SD climber
Ameritech Stackhouse ground blind
Grim Reaper 100gr. Razor Cut SS 3 blade 1.75 broadheads
2 Wildgame D8 trail cams
Bushnell Yardage Pro Sport 450 RF
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:01 am

Congrats on the kills. I love that pic of you on the bluff. I've been to east TN many times, beautiful country there. Congrats again!
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:09 am

Casper wrote:Wow, great season. Congrats.

x2
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:21 am

Awesome! Congrats for a heck of a season! 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”