Let's talk about prevailing wind?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Let's talk about prevailing wind?

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:41 am

Autumn Ninja wrote:
Stanley wrote:I think some hunters misinterpret prevailing wind as the wind that is currently blowing. Prevailing wind is the wind that is most common for an area. Example; the prevailing wind for my area is West so, I can plan on more hunts with a westerly wind than other wind directions. You can't hunt a prevailing wind, you can hunt the current wind direction. What are your thoughts/differences on this?

You are absolutely correct Stanley....

I've never gave this much thought :think: ....I cant imagine anyone not knowing the difference between prevailing and current winds. I bet there out there somewhere though, LOL!!! :lol:

I have noticed quite a few hunters not knowing the difference. Kind of why I touched on the subject.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:05 am

Stanley wrote:
BigHunt wrote:pervaling wind is what the weather man perdics

The weather man predicts what the wind should be (current) for that day. I always watch the weather predictions to get somewhat of an idea of what the current wind should be for that day.

good deal me too ...but its not always the same as they say ...when you get up to the top or off to the side the wind isnt always what the weather man says so i work around it and set up accordingly......
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:42 am

I hunt the winds daily, whatever they may be. I do believe the deer feels more comfortable traveling on a prevailing wind though..In other words, the deer are more comfortable when the wind is, as it normally blows. Make any sense?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:45 am

Spysar wrote:I hunt the winds daily, whatever they may be. I do believe the deer feels more comfortable traveling on a prevailing wind though..In other words, the deer are more comfortable when the wind is, as it normally blows. Make any sense?

:think: kind of ..can you explain better
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:52 am

I do not like it when there is no wind...
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:53 am

Zap wrote:I do not like it when there is no wind...

zap just because theres no wind dosent mean theres no wind .........AIR is allways moving wind or not
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:55 am

yup, the air is moving everywhere....very hard to hunt, hard to move, easy to be busted.

Give me a good steady breeze and I am happy..

Prevailing, daily..whatever....

Actually I preffer when it changes direction dramaticly around two hours before sunset.
Last edited by Zap on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:58 am

Zap wrote:yup, the air is moving everywhere....very hard to hunt, hard to move, easy to be busted.

Give me a good steady breeze and I am happy..

agreed 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:07 pm

BigHunt wrote:
Spysar wrote:I hunt the winds daily, whatever they may be. I do believe the deer feels more comfortable traveling on a prevailing wind though..In other words, the deer are more comfortable when the wind is, as it normally blows. Make any sense?

In other words... If your prevailing wind is west- and you get a west wind that day, the deer will feel comfortable moving because that is what they are used to.

If your prevailing wind is west, and you get an east wind that day, the deer will feel less comfortable because it isn't the "normal" wind.

Of coarse the deer adapt to any wind, they are just more apt to move when the wind is blowing like it nomally does.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:09 pm

Zap wrote:I do not like it when there is no wind...

I like a steady 5-10 mph wind. No wind is too quiet. I don't even think deer like hearing themselves in the leaves when it's still...
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:10 pm

Spysar wrote:
BigHunt wrote:

In other words... If your prevailing wind is west- and you get a west wind that day, the deer will feel comfortable moving because that is what they are used to.

If your prevailing wind is west, and you get an east wind that day, the deer will feel less comfortable because it isn't the "normal" wind.

Of coarse the deer adapt to any wind, they are just more apt to move when the wind is blowing like it nomally does.

ahh got ya spy thanks for the repliy ...i understand now thanks 8-)

yes it make sense
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:23 pm

Of coarse Stanleys definition is correct... My prevailing wind in my home area is West.
Its the winds we get that are not prevailing that interest me the most... You can only hunt so many places on a West wind, I find myself patiently waiting for the wind direction, weather conditions, and timing to all work out for certain spots that are not huntable on a prevailing wind.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”