Choosing the bow over the gun During gun season.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampthing
500 Club

Choosing the bow over the gun During gun season.

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:41 am

Many times during bowhunting, i' ll have encounters just outta bow range. And I, ll sit there thinking how many big bucks I would have if I had the same encounter with a gun in my hand.
So then gun season rolls around and I have all I can do just to pickup the gun. I ts just not the same.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Re: Choosing the bow over the gun During gun season.

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:30 am

Me too!!! This year I bought a gun tag and never carried a gun.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:35 am

If I didn't have to worry about the next guy filling the deer full of lead as it runs 150yds with my arrow in it, Id bow hunt during gun. Its not who drew first blood, its who makes the killing shot. Double lung shot or not, if the guy with a gun puts a bullet in it and it goes down there or 10yds from there, its his deer.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:28 am

I really felt guilty this year carrying my rifle knowing that hunting with my bow was legal this year during the WI gun season. Since I bought a new Browning A-Bolt a few years back I couldn't just let it sit in my gun case. Same thing with my muzzleloader which I will use this weekend trying to fill my gun tag. About the time I sell both and hunt just with my bow the DNR will probably reverse the law change again! :roll:

Wonder how many people actually chose to hunt with their bow this year during gun season? I know that I didn't see anybody carrying a bow.
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:05 am

I bowhunt exclusively, I picked up a 20 gauge years ago when I tore out my shoulder at work just be be in the woods. Not me, it just ain't the same. I have nothing against gun hunting, just not my deal. I do hate the city slickers running all over thinking they can do whatever they want, those guys are just dangerous with any kind of weapon in their hand, be it car keys, gun, bow etc.... :twisted: My friends tease me that I'm bringing a knife to a gun fight and I correct them and tell them no I'm bringing a bow on a gun hunt :roll:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:23 pm

Dewey wrote:I really felt guilty this year carrying my rifle knowing that hunting with my bow was legal this year during the WI gun season. Since I bought a new Browning A-Bolt a few years back I couldn't just let it sit in my gun case. Same thing with my muzzleloader which I will use this weekend trying to fill my gun tag. About the time I sell both and hunt just with my bow the DNR will probably reverse the law change again! :roll:

Wonder how many people actually chose to hunt with their bow this year during gun season? I know that I didn't see anybody carrying a bow.

I took my bow during rifle. I always do and will continue to do so. I just can't bring myself to use a rifle, it doesn't do anything for me. The 'mystical flight of the arrow' is the only way to go. I always feel guilty about trying to kill Bambi with a rifle. :lol:
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:13 pm

ive not gun hunted for 3 years now. I hunted gun season in MI for the first time with a bow this year. the last 2 years i was bowhuntin outta state during the majority of gun season here in MI
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:15 pm

BowtechHunting wrote:
Dewey wrote:I really felt guilty this year carrying my rifle knowing that hunting with my bow was legal this year during the WI gun season. Since I bought a new Browning A-Bolt a few years back I couldn't just let it sit in my gun case. Same thing with my muzzleloader which I will use this weekend trying to fill my gun tag. About the time I sell both and hunt just with my bow the DNR will probably reverse the law change again! :roll:

I took my bow during rifle. I always do and will continue to do so. I just can't bring myself to use a rifle, it doesn't do anything for me. The 'mystical flight of the arrow' is the only way to go. I always feel guilty about trying to kill Bambi with a rifle. :lol:

i would be too if i was killing a bambi ......but on the other hand mom or dad is a differnt story :twisted:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:34 pm

Im glad I filled both my buck tags with my bow. Ive shot alot of deer with my gun but its definitely not the same. Not even close to being the same! Ive never understood of what was so special about shooting a deer at 150 yards out. What did you really accomplish? Its just not that exciting imo.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:07 pm

I believe this is my 6th season of only bowhunting. I remember shooting a 2.5 year old buck in 2004 I believe and it just didn't feel the same as a bow. That is the last deer I have shot with a gun. One day I may get back into hunting with a muzzleloader if the right situation presents itself.
Josh

Unread postby Josh » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:27 pm

I Don't gun hunt anymore. I have killed several deer with a gun when i was younger, but carry a bow during our firearms season now. I would feel awful if i shot a huge buck with a rifle, It would seem like such a waste to me!
Troutking

Unread postby Troutking » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:43 pm

I'm pretty green compared to most on this forum but I have never killed a deer with a gun. Kind of embarrassing to say and somewhat backwards since I have killed 6 deer with a bow. Where I hunt most of the time is archery only and just never really gun hunted but a few days in my life. Sometimes I wonder if I will ever shoot a deer with a gun. This year I killed a buck during gun season with my bow.
The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic
wappkid
Facebook: Brian Stucker

Unread postby wappkid » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:51 pm

This year I used my gun during gun season. It's been a few years since I used a rifle. The only reason I did is I switched bows mid bow season. I finally got the bow lined out. Usually I never have that many problems with a bow. I have had a pretty rough season. Trying to hunt with severe bronchitis is not fun.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:59 pm

^^Don't feel like the lone ranger. I took my 1st firearms deer last year (one with rifle and one with ML), after taking 30 or so with the bow. It's just "different". Not better. Not worse. Just different.

I've taken both guns out this season, already. But, I pretty much knew I wouldn't be shooting (hunting with others I hoped scored). I'm sure I'll take them both out, again.

Never much thought about what season it was, before last year. It was always bow season. I think I've taken 11 bucks in 7 seasons hunting whitetails. All but two were killed when firearms season was open. Only one was taken with a firearm.

I'll be bowhunting in the AM.....and most of the time I have left this year.

Good luck to all......whichever weapon you choose.
Lateral Bowhunter
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:49 am

I guess I'm the odd man out but I like hunting with a rifle. My bow is my weapon of choice but I will hunt with a rifle during gun season. Sometimes I will bowhunt during muzzleloader season but I do muzzleloader hunt also. It's a different hunt with a rifle and allows me to hunt areas in a different way than with a bow.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”