Deer density now vs. 4 years ago.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
JV NC
500 Club

Re: Deer density now vs. 4 years ago.

Unread postby JV NC » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:50 pm

More does always equal more bucks.

This is both true and a fallacy.

It's true in that 50% of fawns are bucks. No denying that.

It's a fallacy to think that you'll see more bucks in areas with a large doe concentration. Just the opposite is what I've found to be true. Outside the rut, bucks don't really care for the lifestyle the doe groups lead. It's too "exposed". I hunt a pretty dense deer concentration. Outside the rut, it is NOT condusive to buck hunting.

Lateral Bowhunter
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:44 am

Our northern MN deer numbers are way down. Take into consideration our rifle season opens early Nov so the deer should be moving. Between us and 3 neighbors we went 7 for 50-55 hunters during a 16 day gun season. Two of the neighbors (20-25 hunters) didn't see a single deer opening weekend. Low deer numbers from too many tags and a pretty bad winter last year did a number on us. I moved to a different area passed on some young bucks, got a flash of a racked buck but hard to say what it was for sure so it has been a rough year.
forgehunter
500 Club

Unread postby forgehunter » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:59 am

Public Land Beast wrote:
forgehunter wrote:3 hunters, 5 days of sitting in treestands... 2 deer seen... northere Wisconsin.... need i say more?? just pathetic! :roll:

That's the same as us in Northern WI!!! Horrible deer numbers!! :shock:

I was hunting in Unit 36, the 2 deer I saw were a small doe and a button buck... I have shot deer over the years, the reason I get so made is because it is my 2 boys who sat for hours and hours and didnt complain. The last day my 14 YO looked at me and said "I didnt think I was going to get one anyway again this year".... He is still trying for his first deer... He blew it 2 years ago on his first hunt by moving way to fast when he had a deer come into his stand and he will admit that... but it would be nice to have him even be a little hopeful of at least seeng a deer. I am going to really think about going up there again next year...
Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jimmy V.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:59 am

headgear wrote:Our northern MN deer numbers are way down. Take into consideration our rifle season opens early Nov so the deer should be moving. Between us and 3 neighbors we went 7 for 50-55 hunters during a 16 day gun season. Two of the neighbors (20-25 hunters) didn't see a single deer opening weekend. Low deer numbers from too many tags and a pretty bad winter last year did a number on us. I moved to a different area passed on some young bucks, got a flash of a racked buck but hard to say what it was for sure so it has been a rough year.

Wow, those numbers are just horrible, I hunted last year near Orr, MN. My uncle hunts Kabetogama Forest. It,s never been big numbers anyways but I never saw a deer in 3 the days I hunted.
The only plus side in all this. I haven't had to worry about hitting any deer along the highway, cause there aren't any.
By home you use to always be driving alert, had close calls with deer all the time. I haven't had a deer run in front of my car for 2 years by home. Pitiful!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:14 am

JV NC wrote:
It's a fallacy to think that you'll see more bucks in areas with a large doe concentration. Just the opposite is what I've found to be true. Outside the rut, bucks don't really care for the lifestyle the doe groups lead. It's too "exposed". I hunt a pretty dense deer concentration. Outside the rut, it is NOT condusive to buck hunting.

I'm a little late, BUT.....welcom to the site JV!!!!

You've always had alot to offer, its good to see you again brother!!!
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:03 am

I am fortunate that the private land I hunt has just about the right numbers now. We are down from 4 years ago, but we had a lot of deer back then.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:10 am

JV NC wrote:
More does always equal more bucks.

This is both true and a fallacy.

It's true in that 50% of fawns are bucks. No denying that.

Then where do all the bucks go outside the rut? I know alot of people try to manage their deer herd as a 2-3 bucks per doe ratio but that doesn't mean their are gonna be more bucks than if you didn't wack all the does. Yes the ratio is higher but not the actual amount of bucks. If an entire management unit limits the number of does taken,would the over abundance of bucks produced mean they leave the county? :? I live in a county you can't hunt and I can tell you this their are more big bucks and a few record breakers walking around each year than you would believe. I see all kinds of bucks and would say it's almost a 50/50 split bucks to does. The only deer shot each year are the ones poached and their almost all big bucks. And yet their are still just as many each year becuase of does having buck fawns.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:17 am

Swampthing wrote: Wow, those numbers are just horrible, I hunted last year near Orr, MN. My uncle hunts Kabetogama Forest. It,s never been big numbers anyways but I never saw a deer in 3 the days I hunted.
The only plus side in all this. I haven't had to worry about hitting any deer along the highway, cause there aren't any.
By home you use to always be driving alert, had close calls with deer all the time. I haven't had a deer run in front of my car for 2 years by home. Pitiful!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

We are just a little east of Orr, maybe 20-30 miles. Dead sea for deer but a wolf mecca. We did find more deer further south but also found a lot more hunters so it was kind of a wash. Might have to formulate a new plan for next year.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:17 am

Then where do all the bucks go outside the rut?

Wherever the does AREN'T.

All I'm saying is....outside the rut...if I'm hunting for a buck and I see does....I know I'm in the wrong spot. The more does I see, the more wrong I know it is.

Your mileage may vary.
Lateral Bowhunter
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:40 am

JV NC wrote:
Then where do all the bucks go outside the rut?

Wherever the does AREN'T.

All I'm saying is....outside the rut...if I'm hunting for a buck and I see does....I know I'm in the wrong spot. The more does I see, the more wrong I know it is.

Your mileage may vary.

Do not agree with that...

There are two other rut times.December and January...
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:45 am

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with. I never stated a time-frame for the "rut".

I happen to be one who thinks it (A phase of it) begins in my area around the last week of Oct.....and runs (Another part of it) through our closer (which is 1/2, this year).

So, "outside the rut", to me, is anytime from our opener (which is always around 9/10) to around 10-20-something.

From the last week of Oct. through our closer, I fully expect to see bucks where I normally see does. The more (does) the merrier.
Lateral Bowhunter
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:48 am

My misunderstanding...
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:57 am

Deer density where I live remains high., same as four years ago or more.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:07 pm

7 solid days in Buff County 3 deer spotted from the stand.
MN sightings were way down as well.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:07 pm

I can't speak for other zones In Minnesota but the zone I hunt In has lots of deer. Some nights I'll see 10 to 12 deer. The deer numbers we have now reminds me of the deer numbers we had back when I was 17 years old. That was 20 years ago.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”