Anybody use Treehopper steps?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JV NC
500 Club

Anybody use Treehopper steps?

Unread postby JV NC » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:40 am

I'm thinking of using these in conjunction with a LW Alpha lock-on in 2012 (maybe the end of this year, also). I figure I can leave the straps up in a few select trees and have multiple setups for one stand.

I'm interested in the treehoppers - because they're "kind of" theft resistant. My only concern with the steps is the fact they don't actually screw into the tree. I'm wondering how secure they are for my +/-200# self.

The above does make them easy to remove the bottom "several" on the descent....to hinder theft (of the rest of the steps and the LW strap.......yeah....I have to worry about that). Hence my interest.

Anyone use these or something similar? Another (better?) option?

Thanks.

Lateral Bowhunter
Scot
500 Club

Re: Anybody use Treehopper steps?

Unread postby Scot » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:08 pm

I have just begun to use them from time to time. Screw in's go in faster IMO. The Tree Hopper Bolts are short so you wont have as much of your foot on them. I will pre drill trees in the pre season and use them more often that way.
It will make getting up the tree that much faster.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:52 pm

Use em, they are safe.

Drill in at a small angle down.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:22 pm

Drill in at a small angle down.

I thought about that a while after I posted. Makes perfect sense.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the info..
Lateral Bowhunter
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:26 pm

If you pull the bolts and want to set up again, keep in mind that in the early am dark the holes will be hard to find.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:07 pm

I got a little "tip" from the Treehopper folks. They said to put Q-tips in the open holes to aid in finding them in the dark.

Makes sense.
Lateral Bowhunter
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:29 pm

ive used em a couple times. less work than screw in steps plus you can prep multiple trees easily. they seem less safe though
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:56 pm

I have a set but never used them much. Now their linesman belt on the other hand gets used a lot......one of the best you can buy!
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:45 am

I have two sets of these but have never used them. For those who have, how long do the holes take before they grow back in and you can no longer insert the bolt? What if I predrill holes in the spring? Will I still be able to put the pegs in come fall? What about consecutive years? Do the holes need to be redrilled each year?
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:36 pm

I've done a little more research on these. Looks like if you drill in the spring, the holes grow back in by fall. Redrill every year. To keep the cost down guys go out a buy a bunch of heavy duty bolts to slide into the holes instead of the 10 pegs that come with the kit. Some guys use pieces of rebar.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:53 am

bowhunter15 wrote:I've done a little more research on these. Looks like if you drill in the spring, the holes grow back in by fall. Redrill every year. To keep the cost down guys go out a buy a bunch of heavy duty bolts to slide into the holes instead of the 10 pegs that come with the kit. Some guys use pieces of rebar.

That's what I do. I bought a 5/8 wood drill bit for my Milwaukee cordless drill. I drill the holes at a slight downward angle. I cut the rebar at 8 inches and drill in about 3" deep. Of course I only use this set up on private land where I have permission to do this. works pretty well. The rebar can be screw out, too if need be. I suppose if they were left in for more than a couple years, they may not be able to be removed.
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Unread postby rudy78 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:08 pm

JV NC wrote:I got a little "tip" from the Treehopper folks. They said to put Q-tips in the open holes to aid in finding them in the dark.

Makes sense.

I take branches & do the same thing if I pull pegs out I put branches in the holes so I can find them back. More natural looking & easier to find in the woods if you forget/run out of q-tips

[ Post made via Palm ] Image
Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”