Back in the Canoe, swing and a miss

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Back in the Canoe, swing and a miss

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:37 pm

Still hunting, killing not going so well, but keep clicking that safety off.

Jumped in the canoe this morning. Something magical about paddling across in the dark. It's a pretty short stroke across the lake then about a mile walk to the west to where I was going today. Wanted to head back to an area I got busted by a doe a couple weeks back. Now this wasn't the back lake and on the long walk west got some shooting light. Anymore when I am on the ground with the xbow I like to hunt my way in. Clicked the safety off twice on the way to my spot and was a hair away from squeezing one off at the first deer.

So when I get there I sat for a whole half hour. I was pretty proud of myself, finally learning some patience. Then I had to creep my way out. Was going to get home around the time I left on the note at the coffee pot, but I had to pop one up in the bedding area. I slung a bolt and cut some hair off the back and after searching for a couple hours on my hands and knees, decided hair was all I got. Late again.

Gun season is in full swing here and I wanted to find some less pressured hunting so I went to the archery only area across the lake (xbows are legal archery here, but I do have to wear that dang orange hat).

It is supposed to rain tonight, so I will be back canoeing and creeping around in the morning. Here was a couple pics from this am.

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Back in the Canoe, swing and a miss

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:00 pm

Very cool.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:02 pm

I like your spot.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:35 pm

I went to the [glow=red]archery only[/glow] area across the lake

Had no idea there was such a place in MI? Good luck to ya!
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:08 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:...Gun season is in full swing here and I wanted to find some less pressured hunting so I went to the archery only area across the lake...

I didn't know there was any archery only area's over by you. How big an area is it and did you see anybody else back there? Also, was it a buck you grazed or are you just looking to fill a doe permit?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:16 pm

spot llooks good!
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:52 pm

Good luck!!!!
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:57 am

8-)
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:26 am

kenn1320 wrote:
I went to the [glow=red]archery only[/glow] area across the lake

Had no idea there was such a place in MI? Good luck to ya!

And it isnt far from you at all Ken. I am 40 minutes from Howell. Last year the Park went dead during gun season so I hunted it late season. Up until firearms it was crawling with hunters.

DEERSLAYER wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:...Gun season is in full swing here and I wanted to find some less pressured hunting so I went to the archery only area across the lake...

I didn't know there was any archery only area's over by you. How big an area is it and did you see anybody else back there? Also, was it a buck you grazed or are you just looking to fill a doe permit?

It is 623 acres, I did not see anybody else yesterday or this morning (plenty of stands and an arrow today), it was a doe. I have a public land doe tag and a combo regular buck tag left that turns into a any deer tag after firearms.

Had another pretty cool hunt this am. Only clicked the safety off twice, but didn't loose a bolt. Very close though. I'm gonna eat and upload some pics in a bit.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:14 am

So I crept in again this morning in a light rain. Love cold rains. I got above the bedding and was on my knees under an apple tree planning my way down to the bedding area I nicked a doe in yesterday am. All of a sudden 15 yds behind me a huge doe blows, runs a button hook around me and down in the swamp.

That was cool, too bad I didn't have my head on a complete swivel - oh well.

here are a couple pics just after I got busted. I am coming at this bedding from the east yesterday I came through from the west. South wind both days.

Then I sit up there for a while, kind of a scrubby area with some openings. Thought if a buck wanted to cruise by this area downwind of where there is plenty of doe sign I might get lucky. I sat for about 20 minutes (again pretty patient for me). Then I go in. Gonna get a flag or a shot.

Stopped to get a pic of yesterdays cut hair.
Here is a closer look.

Stopped to take a few pictures of all this sign as I creep through this area.

Then I put the camera away and pick up the xbow and on the west side is a 4 point, he blows, runs 10 yds, stops behind some stuff I can't shoot through (yeh, I probably would have cut one loose, if he wasn't protected). He was in that clump of scrub just past the dead tree in front of me. Maybe got to 15-20 yds of him.

He ran to the island over there. Fun watching them run through this stuff. Gives me some ideas on posting a hunter over there next time.

Here is where he was just a bit above the water there.

Another pic. See the green thing. Its an arrow (and not mine). Not a stone unturned around here.

Here is a pic of his exit route. Yes I will be plotting.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:02 pm

Great pic's and story.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”