Pretty cool hunt yesterday--need some thoughts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

virginiashadow
500 Club

Pretty cool hunt yesterday--need some thoughts

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:01 am

I hunted my public land spot yesterday. I had a SW wind. I found two lone beds on the way in and one of them was not 100 yards from the road and actually faced the road. I stood by the bed and looked toward the road and sure enough whatever deer was using that bed could see everyone coming and going in their trucks. Really cool.

I jumped a lone deer as I approached the spot I wanted to set up in. After I jumped it I found its bed(marked in orange). Not well used but used nonetheless on a S/SW wind. About 20 minutes before dark I hear a splash in the creek and see a serious wake in the water yet I don't see the deer. I know it is a deer and sounds like a lone one to me. It entered from the other side of the creek. It looked like it was moving away from me so I went for broke. I hardly ever rattle or call but I had nothing to lose at this point. So I rattled hard for about 10 seconds and stopped. About 5 minutes later I hear a light snort right down the hill in the spot I marked with the black circle. The deer bounded out of there and ran back up from where it came. The day had cooled rapidly after being 65 degrees and I am sure all the thermals were pushing downward and he caught my scent. In fact it seems pretty smart of him to cross right there and scent check everything up top with all the thermals coming down in that cut.

I have a south wind again today and am contemplating setting up somewhere else to try and cut him off. Not sure if I am going to hunt the area again as he was spooked a bit.

Any thoughts? Thanks guys.

Brett

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Pretty cool hunt yesterday--need some thoughts

Unread postby dan » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:17 am

The calling might of done you in... Looks like the buck circled and used the wind (thermal) to see what was making the call and busted you...

I hardly ever rattle or call but I had nothing to lose at this point.

I dissagree... I don't think this was the same deer you jumped from its bed and sitting back and letting the deer pass by, and then making a move the next hunt to right where you heard/saw him going thru catching him by surprise would of worked better... I did the same thing on a shooter buck a couple weeks ago and wish I could take that grunt call I made back.
With that said, He might not abandon his trail cause you were not right on it... I would still try to make a move, but chances are he may have relocated.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:05 pm

dan wrote:The calling might of done you in... Looks like the buck circled and used the wind (thermal) to see what was making the call and busted you...

I hardly ever rattle or call but I had nothing to lose at this point.

I dissagree... I don't think this was the same deer you jumped from its bed and sitting back and letting the deer pass by, and then making a move the next hunt to right where you heard/saw him going thru catching him by surprise would of worked better... I did the same thing on a shooter buck a couple weeks ago and wish I could take that grunt call I made back.
With that said, He might not abandon his trail cause you were not right on it... I would still try to make a move, but chances are he may have relocated.

I hear you Dan, however I have very very limited hunting time this year. I am hunting once a week at this point and at the military base I hunt one never knows when they willclose down a hunting area for a day or week at a time. Things change so rapidly that a lot of the times I have to go for broke each hunt or risk not being able to hunt that spot again for 7-14 days. A lot changes in 1-2 weeks.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:12 am

In that case, I agree with your effort to call...
Its a huge advantage for me to be able to hunt daily. A lot of my good hunts happen because the day before I seen something and then made an adjustment the next day...
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:25 am

Same here Dan. I really enjoy hunting and don't mind the grind at all. Next year I will actually be able to take a vacation and hunt for a couple of weeks during the first two weeks of November, plus increase my non-rut hunting to about 2-3 days a week in the afternoon. I am working hard at finding buck beds and my vision/mindset seems to be getting better. Now I just need the time in the woods to make it happen. I will be ready and will scout my tail off this off-season. Until then I am a 2.5 year old buck slaying public land killing machine. hahahaha. I swear I think I have arrowed 7-8, 2.5 year old bucks on public land the last 8-9 years. I can't seem to get over the hump and knock on the doors of the big boys. :(

Thanks for all of your help.

Brett

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”