Hunting the Moon

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JakeJD
500 Club

Hunting the Moon

Unread postby JakeJD » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:52 am

I have read different (seemingly contradictory) theories about deer movement and how it is related to the moon. On the one hand, I have heard guys talking about an increase in deer activity with a setting moon in the late afternoon and a rising moon in the early morning hours. I know that the intensity of the rut and the weather play major roles in this theory. On the other hand, I have heard guys say that you have a better chance of catching a deer returning to their bed during daylight if the moon is overhead or underfoot.

Don't these theories seem to contradict eachother? Maybe some of the gurus on here can straighten me out.

Thanks, Jake

"In the deed, the glory"
dreaming bucks

Re: Hunting the Moon

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:50 am

Well, I know the experts say overhead is what gets the deer on their feet... & by " overhead ", that means overhead of the north pole, not overhead of your head hunting.... so, a lot of the times when you hear its overhead @ a hour before sunset, the moon will just be over the horizon, not straight up over your head...

This thread was talked about not too long ago, I will see if I can find it... it was explained really well by someone here...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:18 am

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8826&hilit=north+pole

Here ya go, explains it better than I did.....
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:29 am

Thanks for the info. That clears up what overhead and underfoot mean. I assume by the picuture example that underfoot is when the moon lie directly below the south pole?

Does anyone notice any increased movement on the moon rising/setting days?
"In the deed, the glory"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”