Is it possible to get on this buck?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

swamp-assassin
500 Club

Is it possible to get on this buck?

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:02 pm

Ok...as many of you know i drilled my first buck on some public today with my rifle...but i still have a bow tag. and on my way to the area we hunted..myself and my buddy saw a buck with a doe in a pine grove that both of us think is the biggest buck either of us will ever see in our lives...my buddy is in his late 30's and been hunting his whole life...we were too much in shock to try and take a picture...all either one of us could say was "holy "...i was in the truck just shaking..we watched it cross the road and dissapear with the doe into the timber..it was private land but a huge tract of public lies to the south..big swamp. is it possible to get on this buck or could his home range be anywhere...this is starting to remind me of dans obsession article...i just will forever be haunted by the memory of a 8 point buck with 12 inch tines and a 2 foot spread..here is the aerial.

"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image
Jay

Re: Is it possible to get on this buck?

Unread postby Jay » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:43 pm

Who owns the private land? Beg for permission if you have to :pray:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:52 am

Looking at that map I think its quite likely that buck beds in that public swamp some of the time. Swamps like that probably get less pressure in some remote spots and over looked spots than all of that private.
The big buck I shot this year lived on private, but being patient and learning all the bedding areas in the swamp and waiting for the right timing gave me a short window to kill him in.
One thing is forsure... You can't kill him if you don't give it a try.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:58 am

I like the looks of the swamp-timberline that is to the east of your buck X...is that public too?

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:05 am

Walking through that public from the road might blow everything out of there, but if you can put a boat or canoe in the water, and paddle over to the west side, that would leave the woods undisturbed for a better setup.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:11 am

One more thing. I have had success asking private landowners if I can cross theirs to get to the public. I have found people that don't want you hunting their land, but gave access to the public.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:52 am

The fact the buck was with a doe makes it hard to pinpoint where he will be the next day. If you can locate the buck and the doe bedded that is a different story. A buck and doe on the move are a very tough get. Reminds me of the time about 25 years ago I spotted a huge buck and doe bedded on public ground from the road. I got the wind in favor and started my sneak. A guy in a Rambler passes by and sees the buck and me. He stops turns around and stops again where the buck is bedded. He yells and throws rocks at the buck to spook him off. End of sneak. Never saw the buck or the tan Rambler again.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:11 am

Stanley wrote:The fact the buck was with a doe makes it hard to pinpoint where he will be the next day. If you can locate the buck and the doe bedded that is a different story. A buck and doe on the move are a very tough get. Reminds me of the time about 25 years ago I spotted a huge buck and doe bedded on public ground from the road. I got the wind in favor and started my sneak. A guy in a Rambler passes by and sees the buck and me. He stops turns around and stops again where the buck is bedded. He yells and throws rocks at the buck to spook him off. End of sneak. Never saw the buck or the tan Rambler again.

Those darn Rambler's - they get me every time too :lol:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:33 am

I take it the rambler was out of range too? :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”