Bump n Dump

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

moosehound

Bump n Dump

Unread postby moosehound » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:42 pm

Is it a good time of year to try this tactic? I have a good idea where he is bedding but not positive. Thinking about going in and hopefully busting him out of there and setting up on him for the morning return.

I hunt whitetails all year long.
dreaming bucks

Re: Bump n Dump

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:20 pm

Well, to my understanding on the bump & dump, you really need a good moonphase, such as moon overhead the first hour or after daylight happens. That way the buck tends to get back to his bed late, otherwise he is in his bed way before you get there in the morning.... right now moon overhead is around 11:00 pm, so I'm thinking its not a good time.. but maybe someone else has a better idea of the concept ? Try doing a search on this forum for bump & dump, its been talked about a lot, & some real good info on it...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Jay

Unread postby Jay » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:39 pm

Never tried this tactic but its my understanding that the moon has to be right like dreaming bucks said.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:28 pm

Or the right weather pattern. Say you bump him out late afternoon, & let's say it has been or starts raining.... & if it stops raining an hour or so before the sun comes up, he might just stay out and feed into daylight because the crappy weather quit. This gives you the chance to be waiting for him when he comes back.

BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:40 am

moosehound wrote:Is it a good time of year to try this tactic? I have a good idea where he is bedding but not positive. Thinking about going in and hopefully busting him out of there and setting up on him for the morning return.

Most mature bucks have different, if not several, beds according to wind direction to maximize safety.

I have a similar situation myself. The problem is, it's in the middle of a field. It's difficult to get in without being seen. I'm not sure myself when the best time is to go in after him. There is one pine tree that is large enough to get up in. I've yet to try the bump and dump myself, but I'm anxiously waiting for the right time. I think a E, or N wins would be best, however on those particularly winds he may change to a different bedding area. He has 2 beds that I know of to compensate for winds. So, when is the right time??
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:57 am

I plan to try it myself with a few beds this year. Depending on the age of the deer, he isn't necessarily going to be in his bed an hour before light.

I've seen and read of a lot of mature buckks that were killed in the morning without the right moon phase this year. Nothing is set in stone, just a law of averages.

moosehound

Unread postby moosehound » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:54 pm

found his bed. it is about 50yds off the road. I set up SE of the bed about 150 yards away. Have a good view of the bed from there and should be able to sneak in quietly. Going to sit and wait him out rest of rifle/muzzle loader season.
I hunt whitetails all year long.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”