What do you guys think of this?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

What do you guys think of this?

Unread postby Brad » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:06 am

So I hunt a very good chunk of land with a gun and a few times a year with a bow. This is privileged land with a lot of deer that are 2.5 or 3.5 and a few that are older and younger, there is a TON of does, you see probably 5 to 10 does per day on an average hunt. In the past 3 years I have shot 3 very nice deer and one thats good to me but not huge there. My wife and I hunt this along with two brothers in law, my father in law, and my neice and a few other people who workl on the farm. I was hunting opening day and saw a lot of does and 3 different bucks, one spike that I passed up opening morning, and two shooters that were in brush. My brother in law shoots whatever buck he sees every year, and then uses his trade mark "it was in brush and looked bigger, or this year it was he was shooting at a bigger one and hit the dink 6 pointer instead", or it had horns and on a deer drive I dont want anyone to be mad that I passed up horns" Anyways this happens every year, and I am ok with it, to each his own and as long as he is happy, I am happy. We have had earn a buck up until this point, and everyone shot does weather they needed buck tags or not just because we had so many. On sunday morning I shot a big doe out of a group of 4, she was the biggest. My brother in law went to the packer game and couldnt hunt, and when he found out I shot a doe he was mad. I went in for lunch and fell asleep on the couch for a few hours after lunch, and then went back out and shot a nice 3.5 year old 8 point out of the same stand I shot the doe out of that morning. When he found that out he was all the more mad about the doe. He yelled at my wife via text message for better part of 2 hours because she is the reason I got to hunt there after we got married. He told her that "he didnt know we were unnessisarily killing does this year" and that if I want to kill a doe for a buck tag for late season bowhunting or for next year, I should do it somewhere else and get the BLEEP off", and how next year he is going to lease it and kick everyone else out and have a say in what everyone shoots. I was mad because he thinks killing these little scrub bucks is better than letting them go and shooting a doe instead. He cuts the racks off and throws them in a corner, so he doesnt do anything with any of them anyways. I have helped him with his vehichles and questions he has with DOT (where I work), and cut a ton of firewood there (on my vacation during the rut even! :lol: ) AND am doing a lot of taxidermy work for him from a couple of nicer deer he got in the past two years (2.5 year olds). This is why I like public land, because this type of drama does not happen. The best part of this whole story is the next day he shot a nice 2.5 year old 7 pointer, his best yet, and wanted me to come cape it out and mount it for him (at cost). My thoughts are I am done there, it isn't worth the drama, and I don't want to put my mother and father in law in a position like this over hunting, and I don't want to get into it with family because I have to deal with them the rest of the year outside of hunting. What would you guys do and what would you say at thanksgiving today :mrgreen:

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: What do you guys think of this?

Unread postby dan » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:19 am

I would politly decline to hunt there anymore. Its your family and you have to make the decisions. But its only hunting. No matter what you do this guy is going to be jealous your on the farm. Your wife has to put up with him. Your inlaws have to put up with him... Your better off just finding your own ground before it becomes a family fight.
I would thank your father-in-law for the good times and hunting on the farm and say I don't want to intrude, and when he insists you stay just politly explain that I don't hunt where I am not wanted and don't want your wife subjected to having to decide between you and her brother. I would not have that conversation with the brother around.
I would then finish up all his taxidermy and auto work that you have already agreed to and politly decline any work from him in the future...
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:28 am

It amazes me how a fun and relaxing past time event like hunting can turn out like this. It is even worse in areas that produce bigger bucks more often. I don't inderstand how a deer can tear appart friendships or families, but it sometimes does. I hope it works out for you.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:00 am

Life is too short to complicate it with unnecessary stress. I would do whatever it takes to be as stress free as possible.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:17 am

It's just a deer.

Move on.
Lateral Bowhunter
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:45 am

Sounds like your brother in law needs a chill pill. I would completely excommunicate myself from that property, and not hunt it at all after this incident. If he has anything to say or wuestions why you arent hunting there than give it to him straight. IMO he should be ashamed of himself, especially after you have helped him out in so many different ways.

Ditch it and stick to the public.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:59 am

You didn't break any laws, whats his problem? He isn't the owner of the land. Also I'm confused, he is gonna lease it from his dad? Id talk with your inlaws and ask them if they have any problem with you shooting the doe. Id also confront him about the whole situation and tell him if he has a problem with what you shoot, he should take it up with you, not his sister. Id also tell him what he can do with his mount.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:54 am

dan wrote:I would politly decline to hunt there anymore. Its your family and you have to make the decisions. But its only hunting. No matter what you do this guy is going to be jealous your on the farm. Your wife has to put up with him. Your inlaws have to put up with him... Your better off just finding your own ground before it becomes a family fight.
I would thank your father-in-law for the good times and hunting on the farm and say I don't want to intrude, and when he insists you stay just politly explain that I don't hunt where I am not wanted and don't want your wife subjected to having to decide between you and her brother. I would not have that conversation with the brother around.
I would then finish up all his taxidermy and auto work that you have already agreed to and politly decline any work from him in the future...

It's a shame it has to come to this, but I think Dan's answer is probably the perfect answer. Although I would make sure everyone knew exactly what happened so they fully understand why you don't hunt with them anymore.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:36 am

i agree with dans answer...sounds like a messy situation...this is one reason i almost exclusivly hunt alone...and on public..i do a drive with two or three buddies at the end of gun season, but i prefer to play the rest of the game alone...to me, deer hunting, especially figuring out mature bucks, is like chess..if two people are trying to play the same side, they dont always agree on what move to make and it doesnt work as well as it would alone...its not a team sport for a reason
"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:32 am

I would do basically what Dan said, except I would still help him with the taxidermy and the DOT stuff. Be the bigger guy, and you will be rewarded in the end....
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”