Looking for a new hunting trip.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Scot
500 Club

Looking for a new hunting trip.

Unread postby Scot » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:29 am

I have hunted unguided in Idaho for whitetails for the last consecutive 15 years. Between the quality of hunting in the units I hunt having dramatically deteriorated because of their wolf situation out there and the challenge in dealing with a couple of ungracious chronically moody hunting companions I am looking for a new situation.
I live in New York State. So I travel quite far to hunt out there. There are a couple of possibilities of me continuing to hunt in Idaho because of relationships that I have established over the years. I am open to all possibilities though. I want to hunt unguided and I can devote $1500 to $2000 annually toward the total cost of the trip. I know there are excellent whitetail hunting opportunities that exist within driving distance of my NYS home. States like Ohio,Kentucky,Indiana,Maryland etc.
I would appreciate some of you weighing in on what your thoughts are as to the possibilities that exist. I am a very respectful person and a person that gets along with everyone. I really want to find a situation where I have access to excellent hunting, is reasonably affordable and am around decent people.

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: Looking for a new hunting trip.

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:49 am

I don't know of anyone specific, but I would look into Maryland first. It's close to you and it's a real sleeper. If that dosen't pan out or if your looking for a big woods public land setting then it's hard to beat Ohio. You could shoot a true giant in any region of Ohio and there large area's of public land where you can get away from people.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:48 am

There is great hunting all over in the midwest on public... Its more a matter of you finding hunting partners with the same wants as you... Are you talking gun hunting? or bow?
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:29 am

My preference would be a firearm. Especially when looking to get to know a new area. I would be open to archery hunts if they presented very good opportunities.
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:39 am

I agree with Dan....there is so many opportunities to hunt whitetails on public land all across the country. Finding a good group or hunting partner is probably the most difficult part. Time, conviction, homework, and a little boot leather and you can enjoy some very good hunts. Have alot of my buddies that just say to me " I liked to do that hunt someday", the thing I've always found that someday never comes, it just becomes tomorrow.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:57 am

Tadmdad wrote:I agree with Dan....there is so many opportunities to hunt whitetails on public land all across the country. Finding a good group or hunting partner is probably the most difficult part. Time, conviction, homework, and a little boot leather and you can enjoy some very good hunts. Have alot of my buddies that just say to me " I liked to do that hunt someday", the thing I've always found that someday never comes, it just becomes tomorrow.

That is by far the hardest part IMO. Sometimes it seems pretty much impossible.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:58 am

I am not afraid to work to make it happen. I would just like to be pointed in the right direction with how to do the research.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:34 am

Scot wrote:I am not afraid to work to make it happen. I would just like to be pointed in the right direction with how to do the research.

Scot...many of us on this forum are traveling hunters and have been doing it for years. If you do a little searching around this has been discussed quite a few times here in the past. I think if you look at some of the past posts, you can probably answer many of the questions you have at this point.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:55 am

I've always kinda thought Idaho would be a great place to hunt whiteys, kinda a "sleeper" place, and I've always wanted to try it. That or Washington. What is it that you don't want to go there anymore? Is it a lack of deer? Bad companions? Too far to drive?

Are you looking for a new whitetail spot, or new companions?

Whitetail hunting is a funny thing. Best friends can even get cranky with each other if things aren't going well....

Where in NY are you?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:29 pm

Electronic help, cyber scouting:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7247
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:13 am

Tadmdad wrote:
Scot wrote:I am not afraid to work to make it happen. I would just like to be pointed in the right direction with how to do the research.

Scot...many of us on this forum are traveling hunters and have been doing it for years. If you do a little searching around this has been discussed quite a few times here in the past. I think if you look at some of the past posts, you can probably answer many of the questions you have at this point.

Thank you, I have done some of this and will continue to.
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:38 am

Spysar wrote:I've always kinda thought Idaho would be a great place to hunt whiteys, kinda a "sleeper" place, and I've always wanted to try it. That or Washington. What is it that you don't want to go there anymore? Is it a lack of deer? Bad companions? Too far to drive?

Are you looking for a new whitetail spot, or new companions?

Whitetail hunting is a funny thing. Best friends can even get cranky with each other if things aren't going well....

Where in NY are you?

We have shot some nice deer in Idaho over the last 15 years. The units we hunt out there have been hit hard by the abundant wolf population. Units 8a and 10a. Rut timing is also critical out there, more so than many other areas. Later in the month of November is always better. This year there were three factors that led to the hunting and the trip itself being poor. Deer densities are down because of the wolves,we were there to early and left to early to catch the best activity and there were two of he five of us who made camp life miserable.
The challenge with hunting very often is tradition versus the quality of your hunting. We have rented the same small house out there for 13 years,the person we rent from has become a friend,but the hunting really has dropped off over the last few years. If we continue to hunt out there we have to drop down lower and get in or on the fringe of area's that are more agricultural.
Because of the possibility of moving out there and the sour experience with a couple of the guy's in camp. (one of which I will never be in camp with again) I thought I would explore other possibilities. The expense of flying out there is about $700 and the Hunting license and whitetail tag combined is about $500. I am sure I can reduce travel expenses and likely tag costs in other states. I just want to see what is possible.
I definitely understand the cranky part. Almost a decade ago,my closest friend and I (he is one of my Idaho companions) got in to the dumbest argument ever while out there. Completely my fault,fueled by my frustration with hunting my tail off and not having any thing come together. After that stupidity on my part I really changed my outlook. I give it all I got while constantly trying to improve and take the results in stride.
I live in Woodstock NY 2 1/2 hours north of New York city and an hour south of Albany.
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:40 am

jack_4mn wrote:Electronic help, cyber scouting:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7247

Thank you very much!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”