Shot and missed Target buck!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

Shot and missed Target buck!

Unread postby PredatorTC » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:26 am

As some of you know this is a particular buck that I have had my heart set on for a few years just because of his crazy horns. (named crazy horns). Last night was the first time I put myself in the correct spot and had a crack at this deer.

Pic of him last year. He has been avoiding the cameras well this year.

I had been talking to some people that told me about some trail cam pictures they had of this deer heading into a public swamp. The direction of travel that this buck took gave me the idea that he was using a bedding area where I had shot a buck 2 years ago. I knew how the deer used this bedding area but the whole idea was to get in super quiet. This bedding area consists of a few small trees and cattails 2 feet over my head. So I slipped in last night and got set up. Sitting there, I was wondering my chance of actually seeing this buck. About 20minutes before closing I all of a sudden heard water trickling to my right. This deer was bedded right there and just started moving. As all you swamp hunters know it’s hard to find a deer in cattails and when I did he was at 20 yards coming right at me. One glimpse and I knew it was crazy horns. I had a tough decision to make. Shoot him on the spot or try to get the camera on him and then shoot. He got closer and I decided if he busted me I could get a few shots off as he ran away so I grabbed the camera. I was trying to find him in the viewfinder when he looked up and me…….
Here is what I should have done. I should have stood dead still and he maybe would have slowly turned around instead of running and I could have gotten a great walking shot at less than 20 yards, but here is what I did……
Pulled the gun up to my shoulder as fast as I could and got off 3 shots and he was back in the thick. STUPID MISTAKE!! I never touched him.
I was ticked about it and I still am. I should have never messed with the camera but oh well dwelling on it is not going to put him down. It’s a good feeling to have it all come together like that and all I can do is keeping trying. I’ll be back at him in this same bedding area with the muzzle loader but I need to let this bedding area cool for now. I did see two other bucks in this same exact bedding area last night. Its amazing how the hunting pressure shoves the deer so deep but exciting because I was able to use it to my advantage

I lit up a field last night that he hangs in and he was out there so that was good to see that I did not wound him. IF anyones interested I can post the video up sometime. Its not a very exciting video becase I never got the camera on him. You can hear him run off and then the gunshots. THe way the deer use this bedding area and how its laid out is very creative and Neat. If I ever get the chance Ill post some pictures up of how the deer use it.

Brandon
500 Club

Re: Shot and missed Target buck!

Unread postby Brandon » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:33 am

Keep at him and good luck on your next setup.
You can't kill em on the couch
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:09 am

PredatorTC wrote:...I should have never messed with the camera but oh well dwelling on it is not going to put him down...

It sounds like you need a gun mounted camera. I thought about putting together a system and selling it that would have a small lipstick size high quality camera with manual zoom and focus which would mount on top of your scope (or barrel). It would have a small recorder that uses SD cards and would record for hours so it could be turned on and set to record as soon as you get to your spot. The recorder is small enough to be mounted on the side of the stock, but at $600 I figured it would be a tough sell. Especially since it wasn't quite DVD quality. You could put together a cheaper set up, but I'm not sure if the quality and/or ease of use would be acceptable or not (It probably would be for a lot of people).

PredatorTC wrote:...THe way the deer use this bedding area and how its laid out is very creative and Neat. If I ever get the chance Ill post some pictures up of how the deer use it.

That sounds like it would be interesting.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:15 am

Too bad, but like you said, at least the plan came together. Very satisfying to say the least.
I'd like to see that video, and also your take on the bedding area

[ Post made via Android ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:40 am

To bad you counld get him but hey you had a great encounter and have some killer intel for later this year and years to come.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:50 am

Love it when a plan comes together, too bad for the mis. Hopefully next time
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:13 am

Put the video up when you get a chance....i think everyone would like to see it.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:38 pm

[bbvideo=560,315]425,350http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-tjcEewMxM][/bbvideo]

Here it is.... I think you can see him move on the top of the screen when I pan up for a second. Not much to watch though
Last edited by DEERSLAYER on Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed video
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:08 pm

Bummer.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:31 pm

That stinks. Keep after them and good things wil happen.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”