Coyotes Take Down A Good Buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Edcyclopedia

Re: Coyotes Take Down A Good Buck

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:53 pm

Schultzy wrote:
dan wrote:Anybody who thinks coyotes don't effect deer populations should look at that.
I'll be honest here. I didn't think coyotes could take a buck of this size that time of year. I know they can do It during the winter months. Mother Nature Is a mean one.

Thanks Spy, pretty eye opening for sure...
Good point Schultzy - however he is still in velvet, so how much would the buck use his antlers if defense? I realize survival would trump damaging their headgear, but...???

I wrote this a few weeks ago on another post...
Up at my camp coyote are plentiful - the local lady who works at the closest store from my camp asked me one day if we wanted to buy the remainder of her 35 Bison she was rasing to sell the meat.
In one year she lost 28 to coyote, the same way the buck died, by packing up around the animal and biting the achilles heal / hams until rendered helpless... - Truly a predator to be wreckened with

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
BCam

Unread postby BCam » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:05 pm

I don't think the deer was sick... i think it was probably just chased unit it got too exhausted to do anything but "give up"........coyotes are a pain!
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:15 pm

I wonder if it was trying to use the flash of the camera for a defense? Why was it staying near the camera flash?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:30 pm

Spysar wrote:I wonder if it was trying to use the flash of the camera for a defense? Why was it staying near the camera flash?

X2 - I thought the same thing.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:42 pm

Spysar wrote:I wonder if it was trying to use the flash of the camera for a defense? Why was it staying near the camera flash?

I wondered the same thing as well. Maybe he knew this was it for him, and he wanted proof that he was murdered! Call CSI! :lol:
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:14 am

Got a call from my buddy a few days agao while we were hunting the same woods. He had a couple of does and a few little bucks milling around. A Coyote comes in nose to the ground and gets close to this little 100" 8pnt. The little 8bucks reared up and started beating the H E L L out of thistles thing. O couple of tramples and the yote took of yelping! Haha, sucess.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Reflex011

Unread postby Reflex011 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:21 am

Makes a guy sick to his stomach to watch that. That is exactly why everyone of those B@$T3RD$ should be shot. Just imagine what a "larger" predator could do as well.
[glow=red]Aim Small. Miss Small.[/glow]
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:42 am

Reflex011 wrote:Makes a guy sick to his stomach to watch that. That is exactly why everyone of those B@$T3RD$ should be shot. Just imagine what a "larger" predator could do as well.

X2
Hope the buck landed a few good kicks on them before they killed him.
This would be the perfect thing to send to P.E.T.A. An arrow or bullet is much more humane than this. Not that it would matter to them! :roll:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:26 am

When Dan Jr was 12 years old and I took him out hunting for his 1st gun hunt he shot a button buck while I filmed. We drove up to it with the truck and brought it back to Grandmas house and drove it to the back and field dressed it where we always field dressed everybodys deer a couple hundred yards from the house. The coyotes kept the guts cleaned up and they never lasted long.
I dragged the small deer up to the house porch and we went in to wash the blood off our hands. By this time it was a couple hours after dark. We washed up and I went out side to toss the deer into the back of the truck with Danny, but the deer was gone... I was shocked we were not even in the house for 10 minutes. I figured someone stole it at 1st thought. But who, the light was on on the porch and there was a lot of noise going on in the house...
Then I looked down the driveway and 50 yards from the porch was a very large coyote dragging the deer down towards the woods with its teeth walking backwards... I hollered "a coyote is dragging your deer" and ran after it. Dan Jr screamed and ran back in the house! LOL.
As soon as I got near the coyote it dropped the deer and ran... Carol and my Mom wanted that thing to be killed. It was way to braisin. I tried but never did get it, despite it being seen several more times hanging arounde the porch.
A couple weeks ago when I shot the big buck Dan Jr ( now a 24 y/o man ) and I were dragging it out of the swamp and could hear coyotes following us and could see the green eyes occasionally with our lights. Dan seemed pysically scared of the coyotes. :lol: I don't think he ever got over that situation when he was 12...
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:11 am

Not saying the series of pictures are fake, how would you even get something like that set up, but like a few have stated why would that deer choose to stand there in front of the camera? Incredible odds if those pictures are the real deal.

What I'm not getting is how come there is absolutely no antler left when the guy is standing there? The coyotes made zero attempt to chew on them right off the bat, granted there was meat to be had.

How come he didn't show a picture of him walking up to the camera or at the crime scene?

I wasn't aware Oklahoma had mature stands of pines like what were in the pictures?

I believe that coyotes can kill a deer for sure and I would bet that the pictures are probably legit, but I've seen too many crazy pictures on the internet to not question a few things just for the sake of discussion. Thoughts?
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:14 am

What I'm not getting is how come there is absolutely no antler left when the guy is standing there? The coyotes made zero attempt to chew on them right off the bat, granted there was meat to be had.

A couple years ago I shot a nice buck in Illinois and lost it... A week or two later the farmer found it while cutting corn. I was surprised to see that the coyotes chewed off a tine and chewed on the rack quite a bit.
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:21 pm

dan wrote:

A couple years ago I shot a nice buck in Illinois and lost it... A week or two later the farmer found it while cutting corn. I was surprised to see that the coyotes chewed off a tine and chewed on the rack quite a bit.

Wild Boar use to do it for get minerals they need.
So it is certainly for the same need.
:idea:
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:35 am

:shock: wow
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:53 am

Loads of yotes out here in the north east. I saw an article a few years ago which stated the yotes and Algonquin wolves are breeding, that is why the yotes are getting so large. A couple of weeks ago after dark I had just packed up my LW hand climber and was getting ready to head back to the truck. I hear a bunch of yotes yipping and howling and running fast in my direction. Then at what sounded like 100 yards away they took down what I think by the sound of it was a deer. Freaked me out for a few seconds :shhh: ;)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”