WI gun season reports....how did you do?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

WI gun season reports....how did you do?

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:37 am

In my stand dark to dark today. Thought I would get this thread started before everybody is done here on opening day.

I am up in the Northwoods of Vilas county. Pretty quiet around here and not much shooting so far. Especially considering they went from zero antlerless tags the last few years to over 8000 this year in my unit!!!

All I saw so far today was 2 Bald Eagles and a Pileated Woodpecker. Maybe I should take up birdwatching instead!! :lol:

The good thing is that the snow is just starting. 3-5 inches by tomorrow. :)

This was my view for the day......

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Pullintoobs
500 Club

Re: WI gun season reports....how did you do?

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:28 pm

I too was out there from darn near dark to dark. Short break when I had to get my daughter back. All I saw was 4 turkeys. Had some dude come in about 3 o'clock and get up in a tree 40 yards from me...Really??? Come on man! Well he is there 15 minutes and all of a sudden boom boom boom! I could not even believe it! The dude dumped one. I did not even bother to see what it was I was so frustrated! Not a wole lot of shooting around us today. Back at it in the morning.
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
BGHUNTER
Facebook: bgrangerhunter@live.com

Unread postby BGHUNTER » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:45 pm

Sat dark to dark. Saw a spike at 700am a shooter on neighbors property at 1120 and a small 8pter came right to my tree at 230. Very few shots heard.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:51 pm

I ended up not seeing a deer all day. Pretty heavy snow with about 3" on the ground by dark. Tomorrow is a new day and looking forward to the fresh snow. :)
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:11 pm

didnt even get up for opener this morning...slept in...thats how excited about gun season i am.. :roll: ..i drove to a spot i wanted to scout for next year. 5 square miles of swamp cut in half by a road running east to west for about 2 miles....saw 11 trucks on the road on the way to my spot....and 11 trucks parked right next to eachother where i wanted to go in....didnt even slow down. went over to another swamp that has more access points and got away from the crowds..only 4 trucks parked where i was. went out and did some scouting for next year with the 308 on my shoulder just in case..well i finally found my first buck bed!!! it was off a point i hunted in october...the point has some trees on it but its mostly brush.. i thought the point would be a staging area for bucks bedding in the swamp. i was wrong..the point funnels bucks in like crazy..its just beat down with big tracks and rubs and droppings. but the buck beds i found were 350 yards off the point....and there is one tree thats 100 yards from there beds...which by the way are exactly like what dan laid out in the video...they are out in the swamp but there on some high ground..both the buck beds i found were right next to a couple lone 5 inch birch trees...just like in the movie...so its awesome to see my scouting turn up results...but the one tree is a small birch that if i could get in there, i could maybe go 2 sticks high and even then i dont know if im close enough,,,these animals are well aware that tall trees mean danger..and its starting to hit me just how difficult it would be to kill them.
but the entrance to the point would be a great place for a camera...just beat down like nothing ive seen...and by the way there is a rub on that point that is unreal...its huge...im 5'7 and the top of the rub is at the top of my neck!!! heres an ariel overview and pics.
the red x is the one tree in the place i could get into

here is the huge rub on the point that comes up to my neck

here is one of the beds i found

h
"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:43 pm

Sat dark to dark as well. The day started off slow didn't see a deer til 9. I ended up seeing 16 deer. Out of the 16 one was a buck. It was a little 5 pointer :(

Dewey love the pic with snow!!
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:21 pm

shot 2 does in the morning at 8:25. then had 3 more come over the hill while i was gutting 1 of them at 10:30, the rest of the day consisted of dragging deer up monster size bluffs and getting them to the locker plant 2.5 hrs away. tomorrow im hoping for a buck
rochester coops

Unread postby rochester coops » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:00 pm

good stuff swamp. is that a road or ditch or something to the right of your point and beds?
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:42 pm

First time hunting a new piece of public. Saw two does in the morning. Missed one with the gun, so I lowered it down and put the bow in my lap. Then had a coyote come walking past at 5 yards and drilled it with the bow. A while later got down to go to the gun range. As I was packing up a little 8 pointer walked right up behind me at 15 yards before seeing me and wheeling around.

Went back out and set the stand in the snow, so my gloves got wet, and MAN were my hands cold the rest of the night. Nothing seen in the afternoon. No shots fired in the afternoon, though there were a few in the morning, only one pretty close. On the way in in the afternoon I spot checked a spot to hunt tomorrow, and found a few fresh rubs, a couple of which were about 4" in diameter in a little pine funnel between a secluded overgrown field and a bluff that drops off into a river.
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:01 pm

rochester coops wrote:good stuff swamp. is that a road or ditch or something to the right of your point and beds?

its a ditch with a road running parelell..they run throughout the swamp which gives people alot access...but nobody really dives into the nasty stuff unless their doing drives..and somehow bucks evade them and grow to be the size that made the rub as tall as me! :lol:
"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image
wibowhntr

Unread postby wibowhntr » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:45 pm

Hunted with my 11yr old son. We sat from open til about 9:30 when he got cold, so we did a little walk to warm up and then went back to the blind. Started raining hard around 12:30 and by 1 he decided that he wanted to go home so we did. Didn't see a deer for the day. Will be back out in the blind this morning with fresh snow on the ground.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:09 am

It is suuuper quiet this morning. Wow. No wind at all. Have yet to hear the 1st shot this morning.

Austin said he is afraid to fart it will make to much noise. Ha ha. :)

[ Post made via BlackBerry Curve ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:32 am

Hodag Hunter, you ain't kidding it's quiet. Just started snowing lightly again. Getting in to my stand was an adventure with all of the snow hanging on the pines. Good thing I brought dry clothes in my pack. Only heard about 5 shots way in the distance the first 10 minutes but nothing since.
We have about 3-4 inches of snow up here in Eagle River. Saw a few deer tracks on the way to my stand this morning and way too many coyote tracks!! :(
I'm sure the deer movement will pick up after the weekend warrior traffic heads home later today.

James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:58 am

After a year of not shooting does, now I think we have to. I saw 4 bucks, 1 shooter and probably 20 antlerless, I'm sure some were repeats.

So far nothing this morning and no shooting from the neighbors either. They sure are holding tight.

James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:12 am

Just like that the action starts... 2yo buck with a doe and fawn came jogging by.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”