WI gun season reports....how did you do?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

addisonlee

Re: WI gun season reports....how did you do?

Unread postby addisonlee » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:15 am

UNIT 69 Public Land - Our group ended up with three bucks and two does opening weekend. Not bad, considering over half of us saw deer in our group of a dozen.

Big body nine point & a nice ten

whitetail4ever

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:09 pm

Just got an update from BigHunt...he is hunting in west central WI and just put down a nice mature 8 pt! Congrats BH! I am sure he will be posting something within the next few days. He is dragging as I type this...get out in the woods this week yall!
The woods has so much to offer to the human soul...
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:30 pm

NightwishMike wrote:Nice pictures Pat, where is your obligatory "pile of deer" picture???

:lol: - here you go, just for you. Our group of 6 guys got 10, 2 of the does on the right are mine.

When better is possible, good is never good enough
BGHUNTER
Facebook: bgrangerhunter@live.com

Unread postby BGHUNTER » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:45 am

Happy Thanksgiving, Sat this morning till 1045am Had a 5pter at 725am 15 yards away, couple shots heard.
forgehunter
500 Club

Unread postby forgehunter » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:20 am

three of us in unit 36, hunted hard Saturday through Wednesday. saw a total of 2, yes I said 2 deer the whole time. ate three tag soup! :x I though last year was the worst I have expeariance. this year topped that! didnt hear the first shot on opening day till almost 9 am! Northern WI is really in bad shape as far as herd size. one of the locals has given up the sport and sold his guns he is so disgusted... hope this gets straighted out...
Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jimmy V.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:55 am

forgehunter wrote:three of us in unit 36, hunted hard Saturday through Wednesday. saw a total of 2, yes I said 2 deer the whole time. ate three tag soup! :x I though last year was the worst I have expeariance. this year topped that! didnt hear the first shot on opening day till almost 9 am! Northern WI is really in bad shape as far as herd size. one of the locals has given up the sport and sold his guns he is so disgusted... hope this gets straighted out...

We hunted up there as well near Eagle River and experienced the same thing on the exact same days you hunted. Unbelievable that they tried to sell almost 8,000 antlerless tags up there After a very disappointing gun season three years in a row up there I am seriously thinking about giving up WI gun hunting in the future. I always told myself when I stop having fun it's time to hang it up. Well that time came about 3 years ago and enough is enough. Like they say "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results". Most of our group broke up and headed to better areas and it's just not much fun anymore and the tradition is gone. Very sad to see. :cry:

Thinking about heading up to Canada or some other state next year during our gun season to get back some of the fun and adventure in my gun hunting again. Time to start some research for next year.
forgehunter
500 Club

Unread postby forgehunter » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:12 am

Dewey wrote:
forgehunter wrote:three of us in unit 36, hunted hard Saturday through Wednesday. saw a total of 2, yes I said 2 deer the whole time. ate three tag soup! :x I though last year was the worst I have expeariance. this year topped that! didnt hear the first shot on opening day till almost 9 am! Northern WI is really in bad shape as far as herd size. one of the locals has given up the sport and sold his guns he is so disgusted... hope this gets straighted out...

We hunted up there as well near Eagle River and experienced the same thing on the exact same days you hunted. Unbelievable that they tried to sell almost 8,000 antlerless tags up there After a very disappointing gun season three years in a row up there I am seriously thinking about giving up WI gun hunting in the future. I always told myself when I stop having fun it's time to hang it up. Well that time came about 3 years ago and enough is enough. Like they say "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results". Most of our group broke up and headed to better areas and it's just not much fun anymore and the tradition is gone. Very sad to see. :cry:

Thinking about heading up to Canada or some other state next year during our gun season to get back some of the fun and adventure in my gun hunting again. Time to start some research for next year.

Dewey, I have hunted up there for over 20 years and have not ever seen it this bad! Even where I stay, I've seen deer all the time at night! I saw 2 Friday night, then I didn't see a single one from then on...

Iam not sure who is deciding on the antlerless tags but they should be fired!
I feel really bad for my boys , my youngest has hunted three years in a row and is still waiting to get a shot at his first deer! My oldes has only gotten 1...
Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul.
Don't give up. Don't ever give up.
Jimmy V.
NightwishMike
500 Club

Unread postby NightwishMike » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:37 pm

RaisedByWolves wrote:
NightwishMike wrote:Nice pictures Pat, where is your obligatory "pile of deer" picture???

:lol: - here you go, just for you. Our group of 6 guys got 10, 2 of the does on the right are mine.

LOL There it is!
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:55 pm

A few family members and I were all out in a field looking for blood this moring when we saw a buck and a doe headed for the swamp. Everyone stood there with their guns on their shoulders and I took off like a bat out of helll across the field. After running about 100 yards I closed the distance pretty good and got within about 85 yards of him. I was able to take two fast shots at him and never touched him. I was pretty bumed out. Back when I was just a little snapper, I never would have missed that shot. But everyone needs excuses and mine are: I was breathing to hard after running to hold the gun steady, and THis is not a gun I normaly shoot and It took me too long to get the sights lined up before I could squeez off. It was like a 110 inch buck but oh well. If im lucky, maybe ill get a third chance yet this year :? :lol:

But, otherwise this year has been super slow. No one Is seeing anything this year. Gotta love those $2 heard control tags the locals are buying. Tons of does fawns and nubbys are dropping this year :(
BGHUNTER

Unread postby BGHUNTER » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:31 pm

Friday sat till 1000am no sightings, no shots.

Last minute my nephew decided he wants to go so took him to range so he could shoot a couple times did good so took him out.

Sat from 150pm till closing no sightings, couple shots in distance.
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:50 am

My season is over! Going to the Badger football game today and forget Sunday hunting. This has been one of my all time lowest deer number while sitting out. I saw two does opening night in the rain and could not get a shoot right at closing time. Last year was not much better. Gun hunting should make it easier to see deer and get one not harder than bow hunting. Another year like this and I might be done with the gun and use those days bow hunting earlier in November. Even when spotlighting not seeing chit. DNR really F this up for a long time. And yes I did go out and hunt hard and made a good effort on my part, just not the deer around like in the past.
BGHUNTER

Unread postby BGHUNTER » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:59 am

saturday Nephew couldn't make it sat till 1030. Shot a nice doe at 730am. Heard a couple shots in distance.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:26 am

i shot a big doe opening day and also shot a nice eight pointer that was on my hit list i we scored him just under 130......127 3/8
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:32 am

BigHunt wrote:i shot a big doe opening day and also shot a nice eight pointer that was on my hit list i we scored him just under 130......127 3/8

Man law violation!
BGHUNTER

Unread postby BGHUNTER » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:02 am

After hearing I shot a doe nephew wanted to go again so took him Sunday mornning. Good choice. We sat in ladder stand with a cold nortwest wind making our eyes water. I decided to move to the leeward side to get out of wind. We snuck over and set up on ground. Seen 2 does go into bedding area around 800am. Around 925 saw a good one coming out of bedding area, he was going to parallel us to head into back field but he was on neighbors so I gave him a couple doe bleats and he turned on a dime and came right to us. I was working the can and whispering to my nephew shoot that deer. I see the gun jerk a little, haha never took safety off. Ok Take safety off shoot that deer hes coming right at us probably would have run us over but he plowed him and he dropped. I think I was more excited than he was. Awesome hunt glad I was part of it.

Can someone explain to me how to post pictures?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”