size of land/pressure

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

swamp-assassin
500 Club

size of land/pressure

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:06 pm

Just a general question to see what people think....my favorite piece of public land is a black ash swamp that covers about 5 square miles....could a guy just bounce around in 5 square miles for a whole season without putting too much pressure on one spot?

"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image
Bucky

Re: size of land/pressure

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:34 pm

5 square miles... I think you could hunt it hard all season as long as you have different access points... the thing I have found about bedding areas like that is the deer will relocate within it, but often will not leave it, even if disturbed multiple times
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:22 pm

It's very possible to have a big spot keep you busy for a full year, several years, or a lifetime if it was big enough. I am acutally thinking about that for next season. I will still hunt my other prime locations but there is a semi big area that I know holds nice bucks and I am just scratching the surface, maybe 2 square miles so plenty to keep a guy busy.

Access, pressure, potential bedding areas are all things you have to think about. Now if you are talking one big continuous swamp that could be much harder to hunt. Too much similar terrain and unlimited bedding can make it harder to figure out. I have smaller swamps full of beds and I can narrow the buck bedding down to an area but when there are 25 beds in say 10-20 acres it is more guessing where he might bed vs knowing he is in a specific bed. That or I just need to fine tune my scouting.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:54 pm

That is a big chunk of land. I think that's about 3200 acres. You will have multiple areas that hold different bucks. Some bucks will never set foot on some of the places you hunt. It would not be possible for one guy to burn out an area that big.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”