Hunting on very windy days.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Hunting on very windy days.

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:04 am

Had 4 friends stop over on the morning of the 13th of November. It was a hard wind out of the South West 25-30 gusts to 40. They all asked if I liked hunting in the wind. I told them I love windy days. They were all hesitant going out when it was that windy. I hunted and killed a buck that afternoon. [glow=red]What are your thoughts on hunting very windy days[/glow]?

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hunting on very windy days.

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:13 am

Outside of the rut I have had little success during heavy wind... But during the period between the last week of October and 1st couple weeks in November windy days are fine... Matter of fact, I like the wind to cover my noise sneaking in to certain spots that are very close to beds.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:05 am

during the rut I always see deer moving but like last sunday I got busted from a wind gust.

I wouldnt hunt deer any other time in the wind except the rut, usually im hunting ducks. windy days are the best for ducks.
You can't kill em on the couch
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:09 am

Before this year, I'd taken my best buck in an AM wind/rain event. Honestly, it started raining and got windy while I was already on stand (and, mere moments before I took him). I'm not sure I'd have gone out there if it had been that way before I climbed up.

I also saw a great buck on a windy PM, once (remember, I don't usually like hunting in the wind) 3 seasons ago. I had a friend visiting from out of state, and I took him into a ravine where I thought a buck might travel to stay out of the noise. No shot. But, I should've probably taken note. If he wasn't here, I likely wouldn't have gone out, either.

Now, with no buck tag in my pocket.......the wind will certainly keep me inside. I can't stand not hearing well on stand. That's what'll keep me inside. I likely won't hunt this evening, due to the wind. It's supposed to be fun. I just don't have fun in the wind.
Lateral Bowhunter
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:21 am

Dan beat me to the same post as I was busy feeding kids. High wind during the rut is awesome in my opinion so long as temps are cold. Covers up my noise and if you can find those little out of the way dips where the wind is still steady, yet less nasty, you can find a perfect ambush location.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:21 am

Last Sunday morning I went hunting and we had 20-30 mph winds with gusts to 40. I've had a head cold for the last 5 days. I took a couple dayquil and a shot or two of cough medicene once I got in the stand. It wasn't fun a couple hours later. Swayin in the tree and the meds got me pretty dizzy. But windy days are ok with me. Cuts down on your noise and I think the deer have a harder time catchin scent on those really windy days. I do think it makes the bucks really nervous because everything is moving and the scenting is harder to catch. They seem to spook easier but that could be a good thing if it forces them to move.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:30 am

Was searching topics on windy conditions and we have forecasted conditions that sounds exactly the same as what Stanley originally posted, almost the same day too! Stanley, if you see this, I'd be interested to hear how you hunted that day. Tomorrow and Friday will be the first days I can get out this week and trying to take advantage of the wind and maybe push the envelope a little bit.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:40 am

We r supposed to have high winds tomorrow up to 40 mph..good topic

[ Post made via Android ] Image
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:09 am

Don't know if it would work, but if i had a tag in my pocket i have a buck bedding spot that i would hit today with these super high winds. It would be hard to approach otherwise and i am confident there are some bucks using it. At least i would be confident i got there undetected.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Hauntedwaters

Unread postby Hauntedwaters » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:31 am

Do bucks "stay low" in the higher wind conditions of the upcoming weekend? I hunt in hill country and I have heard that mentioned by other hunters in the past. Have never proved it one way or another in my limited time in higher winds. Have only seen deer when the wind calmed real early or late (But I have only been hunting the higher 1/3).
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:52 pm

This topic needed a bump.
If I wasn't tagged out, I would be hunting these winds.
Here in Michigan the bucks are seeking really hard right now. Down wind of doe bedding is where I would be perched.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:56 pm

dirt nap giver wrote:This topic needed a bump.
If I wasn't tagged out, I would be hunting these winds.
Here in Michigan the bucks are seeking really hard right now. Down wind of doe bedding is where I would be perched.

tagged out???? I would love to see some pics with story in the kill zone.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:59 pm

Saw my largest buck this year in the strongest winds (30 mph+)

whitetail4ever

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:28 pm

So...hit em high or hit em low? I have a spot that is a pinch point on top of a ridge where I killed a 140 class buck a few years back. He was chasing hard. With windy conditions, do u think deer will stay lower? Or will they still stay top third?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
The woods has so much to offer to the human soul...
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:27 am

I agree with using high winds during rut, but have used high winds on regualar hunts but it was walk & stalk not on stand.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”