Had a Booner at 25, no shot opportunity

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckfever
500 Club

Had a Booner at 25, no shot opportunity

Unread postby Buckfever » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:02 am

I screwed up on the lane.

It was there in September, I missed it:

The yellow is one of the main buck trails out of the bedding. This set is supposed to cover it. The limb of a dead tree had fallen down into the lane and I didn't catch it in september. The Booner today was nose down back and forth on the yellow cross trail trying to pick up doe scent.

Joe put it too me. "What we do is a matter of minutes and inches."

Anyway he was all over my old set, which didn't work, because back then I was 4 sticks high. I think now with 6 sticks and 26-27 feet off the ground, might be a different deal. I'll make that set also, seasons end which will let me cover the south edge of the bedding.

I saw the Booner last year as a 10 pointer on the 17th, I figured him for 150 then, he's just exploded. And he's young, he's only 4.5. He took over the bed of the buck I took couple years ago, I got his bed. Man I love that hunt.

Same genetics of the bone white ten I was hunting 5-6 years ago.

On any other day the 125 class 8 that offered a shot would have impressed.

Not today.:D

Brandon
500 Club

Re: Had a Booner at 25, no shot opportunity

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:08 am

I believe the saying goes... "seconds and inches".

wow 6 sticks high? :shock:

Good Luck on the big boy, sounds like your still in it. :L:
You can't kill em on the couch
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:17 am

Brandon wrote:I believe the saying goes... "seconds and inches".

Good Luck on the big boy, sounds like your still in it. :L:

I only hunt heavily pressured public land and I need to get up above the understory and I cut lanes down into the runs.
When I switched to the public over here, it was a rude awakening. I actually just ordered new rope, because my 25 foot bow ropes are too short.

Yes you're right "seconds and inches".

I've had 8 sits 15 shot opportunities and the only thing that was impacting was the close call with the Booner.

Exhilarating!!!

3 more sits.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:06 am

Brandon wrote:I believe the saying goes... "seconds and inches".

i sit 5 some times its not to bad
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:25 am

Never gets old dealing with the big ones. I remember every encounter I have ever had with the big boys.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:07 pm

I hunt public where no trimming is allowed... I can usually find a shooting lane big enough to squeeze an arrow... Kill or not, close encounters are cool!
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:28 pm

dan wrote:I hunt public where no trimming is allowed... I can usually find a shooting lane big enough to squeeze an arrow... Kill or not, close encounters are cool!

I do the same as Dan, I am not allowed to trim on the public, and I have found for the most part I wouldn't have needed to anyways. I always take the first decent shot opportunity unless I am sure a better shot is coming, but most of the time I hunt above the medium sized trees (18-22 feet) and am shooting down through the tree branches more so than past them. I am sure sooner or later it will happen where I cant get a shot due to brush etc, but for me it is worth it not to scatter my scent all over trying to trim lanes.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:43 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:
dan wrote:I hunt public where no trimming is allowed... I can usually find a shooting lane big enough to squeeze an arrow... Kill or not, close encounters are cool!

I do the same as Dan, I am not allowed to trim on the public, and I have found for the most part I wouldn't have needed to anyways. I always take the first decent shot opportunity unless I am sure a better shot is coming, but most of the time I hunt above the medium sized trees (18-22 feet) and am shooting down through the tree branches more so than past them. I am sure sooner or later it will happen where I cant get a shot due to brush etc, but for me it is worth it not to scatter my scent all over trying to trim lanes.

This is an excellent point, about the trimming, on this property the limit is 1.5" diameter. I do 99% of the trimming at seasons end, when they let us onto the property in September I go in quiet right before or during a rain and make the set and get out, except I do try to catch changes like this, I just missed it. It would have been nothing to throw a rope over that dead limb and pull it down. Thing is I've seen multiple mature deer come out of that bedding on that trail, over the years, so I knew better. That lane you see there there was no lane there, I made that 6-7 years ago and maintained it. And I agree there are a lot of sets over the years, where I've preffered to not disturb anything and find a hole, but on the closer public properties, there's so much pressure that you got to get into the thick stuff if you want to carve out areas that have no pressure on the public. It took me 5 days of scouting initially to find it and the first time in I had to crawl good stretches. Heck the trail out I had to cut and lightly maintain over the years.

And yeah I think the whole idea of eliminating the scent footprint, until you're ready to kill, that's the big point. This spot holds mature bucks year after year, because the total scent footptint consists of 4-5 rut hunts, a day of cleaning the lanes in January and a day of making the set early september. 6-7 total intrusions in a year. 2 years ago I connected on the first sit so that year it was 3 total intrusions.

Do your homework, find the sets, but then minimize scent foot print on the core bedding.

Don't get me wrong I like both hunts, I like in and up, but I also like this hunt where you got the core and over time you manipulate it till you perfect it.

I should of cleared that lane. :mrgreen:

And I will. At seasons end.

2 more sits he wasn't back today, was a 3.5 finger track coming back I don't think it was him.
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:43 am

I can too but in the rut and they are running around or crusing fast its tough. Early season is nice when they are browsing and taking their time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”