Buck bedding preference ..... Islands?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AB_Vinny

Buck bedding preference ..... Islands?

Unread postby AB_Vinny » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:39 pm

I have been trying to find buck bedding areas at my farm and all of my cameras have shown the bucks only after dark or before sunrise so I haven't gotten close enough to their beds. I was convinced they are bedded in river slopes, but there are two huge islands in the river (that are easy to access) and when I walked through there are major game trails coming off. My question is, do bucks prefer islands? If so how the heck will I find these bad boys?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Buck bedding preference ..... Islands?

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:46 pm

I think you need to do some serious scouting in spring as soon as the snow melts. You will be able to see the fall beds as they will be preserved under the snow...
Also, your comment about not being able to get daylight pictures, well I would expect not to get daylight pictures if the cameras are placed properly. Mature bucks don't move much in daylight, where they do move in daylight is where you should slip in and hunt them every now and then. Excessive scent from putting out and checking cameras will push the bucks to other areas, or to come out even later... Cameras need to be in feeding areas where deer feed at night if you want my opinion.
Edcyclopedia

Re: Buck bedding preference ..... Islands?

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:59 pm

This guy liked islands... Especially when the pressure starts kicking in.
When he was a young buckImage
Two years laterImage
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”