How is hunting in late November?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

xpauliber
500 Club

How is hunting in late November?

Unread postby xpauliber » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:11 am

In Pennsylvania, archery season ends the second week of November. I started hunting Ohio this year and so far I haven't scored yet. My last opportunity to archery hunt in Ohio before gun season will be the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving. Since I've never been able to hunt this time of year before, I'm looking to hear from other people's experience on how the hunting is this late in November. Is it worth my time to drive out for a last chance hunt?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

muddy

Re: How is hunting in late November?

Unread postby muddy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:13 am

I think the last 2 weeks of November can be the very best time to shoot a mature buck. Estrous has been in the air for a few weeks and every buck and his brother are out crusing 24/7 to get the last remaining does as they come into season. It can be a very slow time to hunt, but you gotta find the does, that's what the bucks are going to be trying to do.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:52 pm

I know the forum gets crazy busy this time of year, but I'm going to bump this to try and get some more input. Thanks in advance!

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:57 pm

I can't speak for Ohio... But here in Wisconsin its pretty slow cause its right after our gun season and all the bucks are scared to move...
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Unread postby rudy78 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:05 pm

It can be a great time to kill a mature buck in states that have later gun seasons. You won't see all kinds of bucks cruising like early nov, but the old boys will be moving looking for the last few does.

[ Post made via Palm ] Image
Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:09 pm

The Ohio gun season starts Nov. 28th. This hunt will be a few days before the gun season comes in. I'm thinking I will make the drive out and give it one more shot. Can't get em at home eating turkey!

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:05 pm

The best time of year to kill a big buck in the Midwestern corn belt states. Crops are all out for the most part, vegetation is way less than early season, bucks are not sequestered with does for the most part, visibility is great in the woods, weather is colder which always helps deer movement, bed to feed patterns work very well late November. I'd go for sure if I were you.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:29 pm

For us too here in IL the first gun season starts this friday and they go pretty much nocturnal. I've had only one opportunity on the day after Thanksgiving, but I was tagged out that year. Next year as is the case every 4th year with the way the calendar falls the second gun season is early and we actually have a bit of a second rut in december but it's still pretty light. I've had a couple opportunities in the December 11-13 time period, on one I blew the draw on the other I was tagged out that year as well. Now in the case where there is no gun season, like is the case in lake and dupage county, late November is outstanding, but I haven't had a place to hunt in those counties for over a decade. I would think if the gun season hasn't occured, it should be plenty good.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:44 am

our 2 week gun season is always saturday after thanksgving and giants get shot... every year.

this year it seems things are running a little later this year so it should be even better?

last year most big bucks got shot last week october and 1st week of november in my county and by all my buddies... this year they just started going down late last week and still chasing.

I would go.
You can't kill em on the couch
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:45 am

Stanley wrote:The best time of year to kill a big buck in the Midwestern corn belt states. Crops are all out for the most part, vegetation is way less than early season, bucks are not sequestered with does for the most part, visibility is great in the woods, weather is colder which always helps deer movement, bed to feed patterns work very well late November. I'd go for sure if I were you.

Except in MN, WI, MI, IN, or any other state that has a messed up gun opener.

Can be good in IA and KS.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:51 am

Dor wrote:
Stanley wrote:The best time of year to kill a big buck in the Midwestern corn belt states. Crops are all out for the most part, vegetation is way less than early season, bucks are not sequestered with does for the most part, visibility is great in the woods, weather is colder which always helps deer movement, bed to feed patterns work very well late November. I'd go for sure if I were you.

Good point. I think the OP was talking about Ohio where the gunners take over after Thanksgiving, if I read his post correctly. I would not hesitate to bow hunt Ohio late November before the gun season if I were him.
If bowhunting; that is true in any state, you gotta beat the gun hunters to the punch or your goose is cooked.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:18 am

dan wrote:I can't speak for Ohio... But here in Wisconsin its pretty slow cause its right after our gun season and all the bucks are scared to move...

Im going to have to disagree. were i live in wisconsin I see better movement during the muzzle loader season than I do during the shotgun season. Seems like the deer stop hearing gunshots and all off the scent being tracked everywhere stops. Seems like the deer notice this. I should also add that it has been freekin cold the past few years in late november
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:53 am

Stanley wrote:
Dor wrote:

Good point. I think the OP was talking about Ohio where the gunners take over after Thanksgiving, if I read his post correctly. I would not hesitate to bow hunt Ohio late November before the gun season if I were him.
If bowhunting; that is true in any state, you gotta beat the gun hunters to the punch or your goose is cooked.
Yep!

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”