another management question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

admiral04

another management question

Unread postby admiral04 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:40 am

How large of a plot do you guys figure you need to effectively manage your herd. I recently was given permission to do what I wanted(food plots, management, etc) with a 500 acre piece. However, is this too small a piece to bother? Am I going to spend all that time and money only to find out the neighbors are shooting all my hard work? All the land around this plot is public so would I just be shooting myself in the foot?

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: another management question

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:50 am

admiral04 wrote:How large of a plot do you guys figure you need to effectively manage your herd. I recently was given permission to do what I wanted(food plots, management, etc) with a 500 acre piece. However, is this too small a piece to bother? Am I going to spend all that time and money only to find out the neighbors are shooting all my hard work? All the land around this plot is public so would I just be shooting myself in the foot?

As far as food plots it mostly depends on the number of deer and amount of wooded area, but 500 acres is plenty and can be turned into a big buck paradise if done right. VERY much worth investing in if you know you will have control of it long term. If there are other hunters involved then it would depend a lot on them.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:11 am

With a piece that big you could do a lot of small plots and really make the bucks work their tails off checking them all for does.

Plus you could likely pull deer in from the public. I am not qualified to outline a plan but think some on here could
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:44 am

If the surrounding habitat is better than yours you wont be able to just pull big bucks away with foodplots.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:03 pm

I agree 100% with deerslayer. First you gotta make sure you can lock this in long term then you gotta get anyone else on the property involved. If not then I wouldn't waste my time.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:21 am

It is long term and it is only me and a hunting buddy that are allowed to hunt it and we can do whatever we want with it. thnx for the help guys..
BCam

Unread postby BCam » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:14 pm

is there good bedding on this piece? I am no expert by any means but i think if u dont have that than it may not be worth it unless the areas around this piece aren't hit very hard.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:17 pm

Good bedding area's can be created.

You might want to post a good aerial and a topo with the property lines marked. It might not get much attention right now, but it could always be brought back up after deer season and a plan could be made. It wouldn't hurt to mention what type of cover is there and where it is wet or dry.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”