How much detriment do coyotes do on the herd?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cornfedkiller
500 Club

How much detriment do coyotes do on the herd?

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:40 pm

This year at my family's land, I have seen far less activity compared to previous years, and even the usual trails, scrapes, etc show much less activity. Trails used be be beat down to bare dirt, and this year they are hardly distinguishable.. The other night I was sitting on stand, and i heard some rustling in some thick brush about 100 yards north of me, then heard what sounded like a coyote growl, and then caught a glimpse of a healthy looking deer running through the woods with what I assume was a coyote chasing it, and making the strangest growl/bark I have ever heard - sounded kinda like a laughing hyena. (Dad said it was a Chupacabra, but I doubt it because they are really rare around my area :mrgreen: ) There was a deer following behind, which makes me wonder if it was a doe and a fawn, and the fawn was being chased, and the doe was following..but nonetheless, fawns are pretty good sized this time of year as well. Then a minute later I saw a deer double back and head back from where it came, and then heard a buck grunting from where the deer and coyote ran to, so maybe it was a doe getting chased, and a buck following..I have no idea....I know they will go after fawns and stuff, but I have never seen or heard of one going after a [almost] fully grown deer...

Also, I have heard alot more coyotes howling at dusk this year and have gotten alot more pictures of coyotes on my camera than I have in years past (healthy looking ones too!). I know it was a hard winter, and that probably took care of alot of the weak deer, but how much of an affect do you think coyotes have on a deer population? Do you think the coyotes could be part of the reason that activity seems so low this year?

UntouchableNess
500 Club

Re: How much detriment do coyotes do on the herd?

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:46 pm

Opinions will most likely vary widely, but I don't think coyotes can make a serious dent in a deer herd. I live in coyote central!!! Step outside as it gets dark and you can hear numerous packs howl up and down the river bottom, yet we still have a good deer herd in the area. Sure, some fawns will fall victim to coyotes, but I think it is a small percentage in my area.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:59 am

On Daves farm we would see dozens of coyotes and hear multiple packs light up every night. I lost two deer to coyotes before I got to them tracking... We have not seen a fawn on that farm in over 5 years... Last couple years I went out there in winter and shot a few, but it did little good. But most of the coyotes dissapeared last winter... We think a disease took out most of them. This year we have fawns running all over the place for the 1st time in many years.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:36 am

dan wrote:On Daves farm we would see dozens of coyotes and hear multiple packs light up every night. I lost two deer to coyotes before I got to them tracking... We have not seen a fawn on that farm in over 5 years... Last couple years I went out there in winter and shot a few, but it did little good. But most of the coyotes dissapeared last winter... We think a disease took out most of them. This year we have fawns running all over the place for the 1st time in many years.
wow thats perty cool i hope it last for you down there ....what disease do you think they got ????
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:14 am

what disease do you think they got ????

Parvo
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:17 am

dan wrote:
what disease do you think they got ????

Parvo

:think: hmm i was just talking to carol about this how do they get it i forget to ask her that
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:56 am

Alot more damage than most think they do.....
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:43 am

I'm with dan. I think they damage the herd and run the deer. I wish theyd go extinct, theyre useless other than target practice
:x
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:51 am

Aboiut 8-miles from my camp I stop at the last store in the area and grab ice or whatever is needed before heading up the Mtn.
The lady at the store used to raise Bison...

She started with 35 head of Bison 3-years back.
After the second year she asked if we wanted to buy the remaining 7 Bison!
She said the coyotes pack-up and corner one Bison and nip away at the achilles heal until it's immobilized & then kill it.

That's not a misprint - 28 Bison in one year!!! I've had them pack up around me in the deep woods and it's eerie :o
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:33 pm

I hate coyotes with a passion! I don't know for sure how much damage they do but if they can catch a full grown tom turkey in the middle of the summer, you can be sure they are killing most fawns they come across as well! I am willing to bet coyotes in Wi kill more deer than deer hunters do with all seasons combined! I was driving home one night around late may early june, and saw a deer acting really funny, almost dancing in a hayfield. I watched for a minute and then I saw the coyote trying to get at her fawn, and she was trying to run it off before it killed her fawn, and she was panting and running out of strength and the coyote was getting closer to the fawn, So i honked and yelled to try and scare the coyote off, and that didn't work so I took off running off towards it hooting and hollering and it did run off, and I think that doe had a smile and a thank you on her face! I hope it bought the doe enough time to get her fawn to safety, and I hope that coyote steps in a foot trap or gets shot this winter.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:33 am

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/jiofd ... id=3483926

Yotes kill buck........ trail cam pics
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:30 am

dan wrote:On Daves farm we would see dozens of coyotes and hear multiple packs light up every night. I lost two deer to coyotes before I got to them tracking... We have not seen a fawn on that farm in over 5 years... Last couple years I went out there in winter and shot a few, but it did little good. But most of the coyotes dissapeared last winter... We think a disease took out most of them. This year we have fawns running all over the place for the 1st time in many years.

That holds true here too. I only spotted 1 fawn this summer. But i see coyotes everywhere.
I know they are taking a good chunk of the fawns.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:40 am

In Fargo, where i work we had a coyote take down a fawn right on the golf course, while guys were playing. Is was on the local news. This ain't that video but just a random take-down.
http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/big-bu ... tes-summer

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”