Steep angle shots...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
BigHunt

Re: Steep angle shots...

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:47 am

cornfedkiller wrote:
BigHunt wrote:well i have to adimt i dont know what that is :oops: :lol:

A squared plus B squared equals C squared man.. :mrgreen: ..

ya got it thanks man i perty much forgot every thing about math .....thats one subject i struggled in ....and writing and language and spelling :? :? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:51 am

Practice, practice, practice.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:52 pm

bowhunter15 wrote:Correct about the first insersection at 5-8 BUT Actually, gravity affects arrows equally no matter what the angle. Its due to physics.

Yes, you are correct about gravity affecting arrows equally...they all come down in the end, BUT Actually, gravity affects the angle of travel. If I shoot an arrow straight up it will stop and turn 180deg and come straight back down...due to gravity (the angle of travel will do a 180). If I shoot an arrow straight down the angle of travel will never change until it hits the ground due to gravity...gravity does affects the angle of travel. This is all due to physics.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:58 pm

Autumn Ninja wrote:
bowhunter15 wrote:Correct about the first insersection at 5-8 BUT Actually, gravity affects arrows equally no matter what the angle. Its due to physics.

Yes, you are correct about gravity affecting arrows equally...they all come down in the end, BUT Actually, gravity affects the angle of travel. If I shoot an arrow straight up it will stop and turn 180deg and come straight back down...due to gravity (the angle of travel will do a 180). If I shoot an arrow straight down the angle of travel will never change until it hits the ground due to gravity...gravity does affects the angle of travel. This is all due to physics.

man you guys are getting techincal on me hard to keep up :lol: :lol: :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:12 pm

This is a problem I have seen and heard about with a lot of people. This problem is also what started the myth that you need to aim low or resight your bow in when shooting from a treestand or elevated area. The truth of the whole matter is that your most likely dropping your bow arm down when you draw back. This in turn changes the relationship of the string to your face or angle of the string. What you need to do is draw back as though your shooting at something on the same horizontal plane, anchor and then bend at the waist keeping your bow arm perpendicular to your torso and your anchor the same. To draw straight at the animal on steep shots and keep your bow arm and anchor the same is very hard and takes tons of practice. I shoot tons year around and I still draw at the same horizontal plane as I'm standing on steep shots

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:43 pm

If off mark, I'd rather hit high than low. Low is often a brisket or one lung shot. Tough recovery, if any. I don't think there is a good answer for this one. After about 18' on level ground, the "sweet" spot gets a lot smaller. Its worse in hill country. I was up 20' today. I was eye level on one runway. . .the equivalent of 30' up on the other runway. Passed up a nice 2 year old with split g2s. I hope he makes it (public land). He'll be a slob next year.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:07 pm

a lot of it depends on how high your peep sits above your arrow at full draw.....generally the higher the peep is(low anchor point shooters), the worse experiences you will have with shooting deer right under you. The higher your peep=the higher your pin sits above your arrow=the further away your shot will have to be for their paths to be the same....besides just practicing, you could lower your peep if your willing or start using your 70 yard pin when their that close.
Imagine drawing your bow back, and shooting the wall at point blank....obviously the arrow is going to enter the wall much lower than your top pin when you are that close, where your furthest pin would have came the closest....same thing in this situation, there is not enough distance your line of sight to meet with the path of the arrow
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Josh

Unread postby Josh » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:12 pm

Yep make sure you bend at the waist and try to keep the same ancor point, good form.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:53 pm

Perhaps I should have been more clear. Yes, the angle of travel will change throughout its flight... I was referring to the fact that acceleration due to gravity is a constant -9.81m/s/s regardless if the arrow is shot straight out, straight down, or straight up as an initial angle and remains constant throughout the time of flight. Heck, there's even a force due to gravity acting on the arrow while its motionless on the rest, it's just balanced by an equal and opposite force from the rest. In fact, we can even split an arrows trajectory into x and y components. The horizontal position will follow a path equal to the initial horizontal velocity multiplied by the time. (friction from air resistance does slow this down, but its pretty much negligible at such close range). Conversely, the vertical position of the arrow can be described by y_0 +v_y,0*t + 1/2gt^2, where g is -9.8. This is why on angled shots, we always aim for the horizontal distance rather than the actual distance to the target. When shooting an arrow straight up, the horizontal velocity component is 0, so all the motion is vertical. Eventually, the acceleration component overcomes the velocity component in the y-position equation, and the arrow begins to fall. The angle of travel at any one time can be found by taking the inverse tangent of the instantaneous vertical velocity over the horizontal velocity.

Take home message...Aim for the horizontal distance, know your bow's POI at close ranges, and PRACTICE close range steep angled shots.

I'd rather hit high than low. Low is often a brisket or one lung shot. Tough recovery, if any. I don't think there is a good answer for this one. After about 18' on level ground, the "sweet" spot gets a lot smaller.

Completely agree. If it's a steep shot I'd ideally want to hit just under the spine, taking out the top of the near lung and the bottom of the far lung, which is a much smaller kill zone.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:58 pm

bowhunter15 wrote:Perhaps I should have been more clear. Yes, the angle of travel will change throughout its flight... I was referring to the fact that acceleration due to gravity is a constant -9.81m/s/s regardless if the arrow is shot straight out, straight down, or straight up as an initial angle and remains constant throughout the time of flight. Heck, there's even a force due to gravity acting on the arrow while its motionless on the rest, it's just balanced by an equal and opposite force from the rest. In fact, we can even split an arrows trajectory into x and y components. The horizontal position will follow a path equal to the initial horizontal velocity multiplied by the time. (friction from air resistance does slow this down, but its pretty much negligible at such close range). Conversely, the vertical position of the arrow can be described by y_0 +v_y,0*t + 1/2gt^2, where g is -9.8. This is why on angled shots, we always aim for the horizontal distance rather than the actual distance to the target. When shooting an arrow straight up, the horizontal velocity component is 0, so all the motion is vertical. Eventually, the acceleration component overcomes the velocity component in the y-position equation, and the arrow begins to fall. The angle of travel at any one time can be found by taking the inverse tangent of the instantaneous vertical velocity over the horizontal velocity.

Couldnt have said it better myself...haha
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:34 pm

I practice/sight in with the gear on including the close steep angles. With a fixed pin I set the top pin at 22 and that seems to take care of it. It's part of the reason I used a predator IV pendulum for so long, because of the short range stop that you set at 5 yards. That takes care of that.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:20 pm

Gotta practice the close shots. Closer than 10 yards I always aim a little low, right at the heart because I know my first pin is 20 yards and the arrow impacts a little high at 10. Hunting high can be challenging with a bow because of the angle. That is why I always try for the heart on those really close shots. Could have just been excitment though!

I am a way better shot when the deer suprises me, when they come in slow I get a little nervous and dont shoot quite as well.
BCam

Unread postby BCam » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:29 am

Do any of you hunt with a Tree Saddle? It seems like it would be easier to make these shots out of one? I have never used one but after doing a little bit of research on them, it looks like you could position your body a lot easier and better? I also think they are not made anymore either as i was trying to find one the last 2 years but finally gave up. I do agree with the other posts made, practice, practice and practice some more.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:34 am

maybe he just dropped

[ Post made via Android ] Image
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:20 am

dan wrote:I have issues with steep angle bow shots... I always hit high, and how high seems unpredictable... Anybody else have issues with that? How do you practice it? How do you deal with it...

This thread went from how do you prepare for it to a math lesson!!! :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”