Canoe to the back lake

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Canoe to the back lake

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:52 pm

And I didn't get a deer, but I finally found some.

Work hasn't afforded much hunting this fall, but this week something even worse happened to get my mind off work. We lost a deer friend. We took some time for his family, also deer friends. Yesterday I needed to get outside. I wanted to check on those islands in the marsh. At 1pm I jumped in the canoe and paddled to the third lake back in a 20mph wind.

The area across the lake from me was opened to archery hunting last year, but has been a county park for the last 10 or so years, so I know the trails and lay of the land well, but only recently have I begun to unravel the marsh. These cattails are expansive and I have not figured out all the ways through. I have found some very deep spots in those cattails though during some failed attempts to navigate.

So I was out to try to get on these islands again.
here is a couple pics from a summer trip

with a WSW wind I came around to the north side of the first. Slinking through the cattails on the humps with my paddle in one hand and my xbow in the other. When I got on the first one, I thought to myself these deer have never been approached this way. Being the impatient hunter I am this was a "scouting "mission with a drawn xbow, I was after deer after all this effort. I crept along when the wind gusted . Finally I started to see trails, beds, then a gut pile and two treestands. Someone or more had been in here already. So I studied the area carefully and got back in the canoe.

On the way back I wanted to check on the other island, scout it and head back.
Here is a pic of this island this summer

I thought I was making too much noise, but I just wanted to access this island and check for activity. So I just had my paddle in my hands to assist in the somewhat short 30 to 40 yard test run. With about 5 yards of cattails left I look across the island and a buck is taking a poop. I ducked down and started saying oh poop, oh poop, (only I wans't saying poop) I got back to the canoe as quickly as I could changing my paddle for my xbow. Now trying to pull the cross bow back in the marsh was fun. I found a bog, put both hands on the string and almost fell over to my left as the bog sank. caught myself in the cattails and tried it again. With Xbow drawn I started back through. The buck was still there but seemed like he saw something was up. Now it looked like 2 or 3 deer moving away from me a little. I started thinking I blew it(which I eventually did) when all of a sudden 20 yds in front of me is a doe feeding my way. I pulled up and put it on her, I had a small opening right behind her ear. I squeezed off and narrowly missed. She hopped 15 yds to my left and gave me a better shot but cocking the xbow again couldnt be done where I was pinned.

She eventually got nervous and took the whole island with her about 4 or 5 deer on this island. Here is a pics of the tiny island from the way back

Not all hunts end with game. And so far this was my most exciting and is the only real adventure I have to share this year. I left with a smile on my face, as the few times out this year all I have been seeing is unreal hunting pressure in the park, so I finally dove into where I thought the deer might be. But even in there there was some presence. Found a treestand right in the middle of that little island.

Now I just need to figure out when I am going back.

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Dewey

Re: Canoe to the back lake

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:27 am

Sorry to hear about your friend.

That hunt sounded really cool with the canoe. Too bad others had the same idea but that's usually how it goes. At least you had an exciting day. Good luck in the future Lou. :)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:59 am

Cool hunt.

Sorry to hear about your friend
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:03 am

very cool hunt 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:20 am

Awesome hunt sorry to hear about your friend!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:08 am

Sorry for mixing the two topics and thanks for the replies.

Maybe I should have called it Island hoping. The weekend pressure should put them back in there and our lake doesn't look like it will freeze soon so I can't wait for a do over.

I might even try to set up some posters on the exit route(s) and blast them out of there again next week. But it wouldn't upset me to drop one on the island next time before blasting out the rest. I really enjoy creeping around and when you slink into a group of them that close, its fun.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:48 am

We have something in commen Lou... I like to escape from life when it gets to harsh by hanging out in a marsh too... Sorry to hear about your friend.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:44 am

Sorry to hear about your friend!! Looks like a cool adventure - good luck out there in the future.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”