What's your take on baiting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JV NC
500 Club

Re: What's your take on baiting?

Unread postby JV NC » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:59 am

I am 100% convinced there is more respectable bear than respectable bucks where I hunt and no shame is cast on a bear baiter.....but baiting for deer is almost taboo in the whitetal community. I don't understand why?

I’ve never understood this, either.

I’m for ANY legal manner of taking. I don’t bait. But, I support you if you choose to (where legal).
Last edited by JV NC on Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lateral Bowhunter
addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:01 am

I keep getting timed out as well :?
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:20 am

I have never baited BUT I have absolutely no problem with those that do and do it legally. I also will not say I never will do it, I just haven't to this point.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:31 pm

Do whatever you care too....

I do. :mrgreen:

Hunting a bait pile or the trails to it aint easy, probably the best method is a ground blind left at the bait site for a long time.

I agree that alot of folks do not know much else than to put out a corn pile and sit there...but they can always choose to expend time and effort to learn how to hunt differently, if they want too.

I do not use bait now but may in the future if I wanted too. :mrgreen:

Its all hunting- trying to kill natures creatures with a weapon.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:32 pm

I have not had a "time out" in fifty years.... :lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:33 pm

We do put bait out in the UP here and sit near those locations for days on end....I have no problem with it, and actually really enjoy getting the chance to see and video some pretty cool stuff over the bait
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:39 pm

Dewey wrote:
Hodag Hunter wrote:Just thought of another point......you hunt pretty hard core in the marsh area.....do you think you could teach a 10 or 12 year old to hunt that way? Walking in miles with a stand and sticks, water and muck up to their arm pits, maybe seeing a deer every other sit, much less shooting one. How long do you think a kid will keep at it like you do?

Bad example!! :mrgreen: That is the way I was taught to hunt by my dad at a very early age along with many others. Were all diehards!! :lol:

:

just like me i was taught the same dew 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:43 pm

i bait late sesaon in hill country the snow gets deep and felids are burried with snow drifts six feet high...i have one area i bait and onlt hunt two or three times and then let them have there way with it ...they need it after the long hard rut ....its allso good for shed hunting :lol: ;)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
mcmidc

Unread postby mcmidc » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:44 pm

g3s wrote:We do put bait out in the UP here and sit near those locations for days on end....I have no problem with it, and actually really enjoy getting the chance to see and video some pretty cool stuff over the bait

G3s were all those stud Delta county bucks you guys shot off of baited blinds?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:51 pm

g3s wrote:We do put bait out in the UP here and sit near those locations for days on end....I have no problem with it, and actually really enjoy getting the chance to see and video some pretty cool stuff over the bait

thats cool man what ever works for you ...

i dont mind baiting ..i could go both ways on it realy ...i like killing bucks in thier natural envierment as well as baiting them in to wacth and learn ...........i like to wacth and learn from them more than killing them ..im in that stage right now

unless its a shooter :lol: :lol: :lol: then i wacth for as long as i can before i fall out of the tree from shaking so bad :lol: :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:56 pm

and i also think that using minnerals is bait too so yes i do bait
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:46 pm

BigHunt wrote:and i also think that using minnerals is bait too so yes i do bait

Staying out of the debate, but I have to disagree with this statement..Deer wont hardly use minerals after bow season opens, so how do you consider it bait? Its maybe bait during the summer months (to get pictures), but during the fall, you arent attracting anything with it..

Even in MN where beiting is illegal, we can have minerals out near our stand if we want...
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:52 pm

I am 100% convinced there is more respectable bear than respectable bucks where I hunt and no shame is cast on a bear baiter.....but baiting for deer is almost taboo in the whitetal community. I don't understand why?

If you look at youtube videos bear hunters take a ton of crap from people who disapprove of shooting a bear over bait. Gets pretty nasty sometimes.

Growing up I learned to hunt off of corn oftentimes. Eventually I wanted to learn more about how to hunt and did. It was a personal choice and I'm glad I made it. But to look down on anyone else for not making that decision is a little harsh. Heck, sometimes to this day I'll still use corn during the late season. Often times I won't hunt over it, since experience tells me they'll hit it at night, but I'll hunt closer to the beds than the corn is in hopes that feeding on the corn will slow them down getting back to their beds and give me a better chance at seeing daylight movement in the morning.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:53 pm

cornfedkiller wrote:
BigHunt wrote:and i also think that using minnerals is bait too so yes i do bait

Staying out of the debate, but I have to disagree with this statement..Deer wont hardly use minerals after bow season opens, so how do you consider it bait? Its maybe bait during the summer months (to get pictures), but during the fall, you arent attracting anything with it..

Even in MN where beiting is illegal, we can have minerals out near our stand if we want...

I have pics of bucks at mineral licks late season when I used to run a lick 3 or 4 years ago (I quit). I agree that they don't need the minerals late in the fall, but I think they get used to the lick being the local "pick up bar" and troll by looking for does later in the year. They develop a habit of visiting them for social reasons.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:14 pm

Dewey wrote:
Hodag Hunter wrote:Just thought of another point......you hunt pretty hard core in the marsh area.....do you think you could teach a 10 or 12 year old to hunt that way? Walking in miles with a stand and sticks, water and muck up to their arm pits, maybe seeing a deer every other sit, much less shooting one. How long do you think a kid will keep at it like you do?

Bad example!! :mrgreen: That is the way I was taught to hunt by my dad at a very early age along with many others. Were all diehards!! :lol:

:lol:

If this is how you were taught at an early age; why were you baiting in the northwoods in the early 90's?......... I just made my point.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”