New DNR gun and archery laws !

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

New DNR gun and archery laws !

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:16 am

Wow ! Apparently you can have an uncased bow now, just not an arrow knocked....

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/es/enforcement/act51_faq.htm

http://dnr.wi.gov/news/DNRNews_Lookup.asp?id=300#art2

2011 Wis. ACT 51 - Firearms, Bows & Crossbows in Vehicles - Questions & Answers

Q1: Do firearms still have to be cased before they are placed in or on a motorized vehicle, including ATVs, UTVs, snowmobiles and farm implements?

A: No. Effective Nov. 19, 2011 for rifles, shotguns and muzzleloaders, and Nov. 1, 2011 for handguns, firearms no longer have to be in a case in order to place them in or on a vehicle, or to transport them unloaded in or on a vehicle.

Q2: Do firearms still have to be unloaded before they can be placed in or on a motorized vehicle, including ATVs, UTVs, snowmobiles and farm implements?

A: No. However, if the firearm is a rifle or shotgun, it can only be in or on a vehicle which is stationary. Additionally, it is important to be aware that it remains illegal to actually load any long guns (rifles & shotguns) while the firearm or person loading it is still in or on the vehicle. All long guns must be outside and off a motorized vehicle before a person may load the firearm. Once loaded, the firearm can be set down in or on a stationary vehicle, but must be unloaded before the firearm is transported any distance in the vehicle.

Q3: Is there any time when a person is allowed to actually load a firearm when they are still in or on a motorized vehicle?

A: Yes. Handguns can be loaded by a person in or on a motorized vehicle. In addition, certain disabled individuals who hold a Class A or B hunt from a vehicle permit are still allowed to load a firearm and hunt from a stationary motorized vehicle.

Q4: Since the law has changed to allow a person to possess a loaded uncased firearm in or on a stationary motorized vehicle, does this mean a person can hunt and shoot from their parked and stationary motorized vehicle?

A: No. Except for the pre-existing exemption for certain disabled hunters with the proper permit, it is still illegal to discharge a firearm from a motorized vehicle. The laws regulating hunting and discharge of a firearm within 50 feet of the center of a roadway have not changed.

Q5: Now that it is legal to place a loaded uncased firearm into a vehicle, is it also legal for a person to be in the vehicle with the loaded uncased firearm.

A: Yes, provided the vehicle remains stationary.

Q6: Must the motor be turned off in order to place or possess a loaded firearm in or on the vehicle?

A: No. It is legal to have the motor/engine running, as long as the vehicle is not put in motion.

Q7: Since firearms generally no longer have to be placed in a case when in or on a vehicle, can a person roll up their firearm in a blanket, towel or sleeping bag to protect it from getting damaged if they do not have a firearm case?

A: Yes, however it is generally not legal to be armed with a concealed rifle or shotgun, and only with a handgun if authorized to possess a concealed weapon. So unless you are authorized by law to possess a concealed weapon and the firearm is a handgun, you need to place a firearm which is hidden from view in a location where it will not be within reach of a person while it is concealed in this manner.

Q8: Are there any situations or locations where a person is still required to have their firearm unloaded and enclosed within a case?

A: Yes. With some exceptions, firearm possessed within 1,000 ft of a school grounds (K-12) must be unloaded and either cased or locked in a firearm rack on a motor vehicle. In addition, firearms which are not being used as authorized for hunting in a state park, state fish hatchery and state wildlife refuge must be unloaded and cased. Note: under 2011 Act 35, persons with a CCW license can possess a loaded uncased handgun in these areas, but not on the grounds of a school.

Q9: Is there any reason that a person would have to still case their bow or crossbow?

A: Yes. With some exceptions, bows and crossbows must be unstrung or enclosed in a carrying case while in any state park, fish hatchery, or within 100 yards of any state campground, picnic area or other special use area designated by the department by posted notice. A crossbow, if left in a cocked position, must also be encased before it may be placed in or on a motorized vehicle.

Q10: In the past, it was not legal to possess or transport a loaded firearm in a motor boat with the motor running. Has this changed?

A: No. All firearms, except handguns, must be unloaded whenever the boats motor is running.

Q11: In the past, when a person wanted to hunt from a hay wagon or a hunting blind built on a trailer frame, these devices had to have the wheels removed and put up on blocks so they would not be considered a vehicle. Is this still true?

A: No. A new exception has been created to allow hunters who area lawfully hunting, to load and discharge a firearm, bow or crossbow from a stationary nonmotorized vehicle that is not attached to a motor vehicle.

Q12: I can legally hunt with a crossbow. What must I do before I place or transport my crossbow in or on a vehicle?

A: The arrow/bolt must be removed from the crossbow and:

* The crossbow may not be cocked, OR
* The crossbow, if cocked, must be enclosed within a carrying case.

Q13: I use a motor boat to get to the area where I normally archery hunt for deer. Do I still need to unstring my bow or put it in a carrying case?

A: No. However, you may not have an arrow nocked when the motor is running, unless the bow is being used for Bowfishing for rough fish.

Q14: If it is not legal to load a firearm while the firearm is in or on a motorized vehicle, but it is legal to place a loaded firearm in or on a stationary vehicle, how will an officer know if it was loaded before or after it was placed in the vehicle?

A: It may not always be possible to make this determination, however, if an officer observes a vehicle in motion and has cause to stop or contact the occupants before they exit the vehicle, any loaded firearm discovered in the vehicle will be prima facie evidence that the firearm was either illegally transported loaded or it was loaded illegally in the vehicle when it stopped.

Q15: Can I use my truck or car as a shooting platform to rest my firearm on when sighting in my firearm or shooting at a deer?

A: It is not legal to discharge a firearm which is located in or on a vehicle.

Q16: In the past it was only legal to lean a firearm against a vehicle if the firearm was first unloaded. Is this still true?

A: No. Now that it is legal to place a loaded firearm in or on a vehicle, it is also legal to lean a loaded firearm against a vehicle. Caution should be taken as vehicles can easily be jarred when a person opens or closes a door, or gets in or out of a vehicle, which might case the fire to fall to the ground. If loaded, this could lead to an accidental discharge.

Q17: Can a person operating or riding in or on a tractor, combine or other farm implement possess a loaded uncased firearm in these vehicles with them?

A: No. The firearm can be uncased, but it may not be loaded when the tractor, combine or other implement is in motion, unless the firearm is a handgun. Even then, it is generally still not legal to discharge any firearm from any such implement, moving or stationary.

Q18: Can a person possess a loaded uncased firearm in a horse drawn cart, carriage or wagon?

A: When the horse drawn device is in motion, firearms may be uncased, but may not be loaded unless the firearm is a handgun.

Q19: Can a person shoot a firearm from a horse drawn cart, carriage or wagon?

A: Only when stationary and or the purpose of hunting, as it would be considered a non-motorized vehicle.

What has & has not changed:

1. Vehicles, including ATV's, UTV's, Snowmobiles, Bicycles, Horse & Buggy, etc:

BOWS & CROSSBOWS:

* NEW - It will be legal to possess and transport uncased bows and crossbows, however, bows may not have an arrow nocked and a crossbow may not be cocked unless it is unloaded and cased.

FIREARMS (other than handguns):

NEW - It will be legal to possess long guns such as rifles, shotguns and muzzleloaders in or on a vehicle in the following manner:

1. When a vehicle is in motion, long guns can be uncased, but must still be unloaded.
2. On the vehicle which is stationary, long guns can be both uncased and loaded.
3. A stationary vehicle can have the motor running . “Stationary” means not moving, regardless of whether the motor is running.

* It remains illegal to load or discharge a firearm in or from any moving vehicle or a stationary motorized vehicle. The previous exemption for certain disabled hunters with proper permits remains the same (no change).

2. Non-motorized Vehicles:

BOWS, CROSSBOWS & FIREARMS:

* NEW - When lawfully hunting, it will be legal to load, possess when loaded, and discharge firearms (including handguns), bows and crossbows from a stationary nonmotorized vehicle that is not attached to a motor vehicle. This addresses the issue of hunting from hay wagons, blinds on wheels or utility trailers, so they no longer need to be put up on blocks or have the wheels removed.

3. Motor Boats:

BOWS & CROSSBOWS:

* NEW - It will be legal to possess and transport uncased bows and crossbows, however, bows may not have an arrow nocked and a crossbow may not be cocked unless it is unloaded and cased.
* The exception for shooting rough fish from a motor boat with the motor running remains in place (no change).

FIREARMS:

* It was already legal to possess uncased firearms in boat with the motor running, moving or stationary (no change).
* It was already legal to load and discharge a firearm from a boat without the motor running (no change).
* It remains illegal to load a firearm (other than a handgun) or discharge any firearm (including handguns) from a boat with the motor running (no change).

4. Aircraft (commercial & non-commercial):

BOWS, CROSSBOWS & FIREARMS:

* no change.

5. Definition of Unloaded for Electronic Muzzleloaders:

* NEW - The definition under s. 167.31(1)(g) of what it means to be unloaded for most firearms was amended to include a clarification for an electronic ignition muzzle-loading firearm. Such firearms will be considered unloaded when the battery is removed and is disconnected from the firearm. This allows a person to leave the ball and powder in such muzzle-loading firearms, similar to what is allowed for cap lock and flint lock type muzzle-loading firearms.

Last Revised: Tuesday November 08 2011

Brad

Re: New DNR gun and archery laws !

Unread postby Brad » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:42 am

Should make things easier during gun season when I sometimes get picked up by an ATV or other vehicle. I always hated carrying a gun sock around, but I also hated walking when I could be riding!
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:58 am

I'm just wondering if this could invite more poaching ? Hope not....
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:55 am

dreaming bucks wrote:I'm just wondering if this could invite more poaching ? Hope not....

Poachers will be poachers no matter what the laws are.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:00 am

Dewey wrote:
dreaming bucks wrote:I'm just wondering if this could invite more poaching ? Hope not....

;)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:02 am

Dewey wrote:

Agree 100%
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:24 pm

Great new laws!!!!! It's about time Wisconsin losened up a bit.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:26 pm

Bowhunting Brian wrote:Great new laws!!!!! It's about time Wisconsin losened up a bit.

X2!
When better is possible, good is never good enough
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:39 pm

RaisedByWolves wrote:
Bowhunting Brian wrote:Great new laws!!!!! It's about time Wisconsin losened up a bit.

X2!

X3!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”