no rut activity during the day in my swamp

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

swamp-assassin
500 Club

no rut activity during the day in my swamp

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:44 am

As some of you may know ive had a rough season thus far. have not seen a single deer. now that the rut is here, im seeing some signs of rutting activity but im pretty sure its all nocturnal. not only that i think the relatively poor acorn crop in the area has forced alot of the deer that were in the swamp im hunting to look elsewhere for food sources..hence me not seeing much as far as any activity, i think the numbers are just low...
so my question is this...should i just continue to hunt buck bedding as if it were not even rut and just ignore the funnels and such? i know there are big animals in the swamp that are there for security..should i just focus on them or keep trying funnels?

"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image
headgear
500 Club

Re: no rut activity during the day in my swamp

Unread postby headgear » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:32 am

Hey swamp, everyones area is different but if you haven't seen much yet it might be time to change up tactics. Right now I try and hunt funnels all day and doe bedding in the evenings, it was worked well for me in the past. Then maybe get back to buck bedding towards the end of the rut. Usually once lock down is here we don't see squat so I might just walk around and see if I can't learn something.
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Re: no rut activity during the day in my swamp

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:16 am

Thanks headgear...the areas ive hunted in the past during the rut that have produced for me have been transition areas and doe funnels. not so much this year.. im thinking that the buck bedding areas may be the ticket for me because i think the bucks are only getting out and doing the rut thing at night.
"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”