Entrance/Set Up Advice

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kwaldeier
500 Club

Entrance/Set Up Advice

Unread postby kwaldeier » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:16 pm

5 Total sits with the run and gun BEAST Style 8-) -1 Button Buck :oops:

However i Can be a man and admit my mistakes and ask for advice on how to fix them before my final 2 archery hunts for a few weeks :? Fist off i try to walk slowly but with the crunchy CRUNCHY leaves it is very hard. Espically with some weight on my back i cant stop on a dime once i make a loud noise. That is problem 1,entrance. Proem 2 is set up. No matter how hard i try to quietly set up 4 sticks and a stand, I cant. Each stick always makes a sound once i lock it into place. The bark of the tree makes a noise once i stand on it. Also it seems like its takes forever for me to get my "Misc" accessories into place.(Camera arm, bow hanger, Rangefinder, the bare minimums). As always any help would be appreciated!

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Entrance/Set Up Advice

Unread postby dan » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:24 pm

Spread the noise out by taking your time...
Stay back a little farther with the noisy sets...
Make sure each item your bring, you need..
Watch each foot placment as you walk...
Use the terrain to block noise, sound don't travel thru hills, and cattails well.
Try to hunt noisy sets on days with wind cover, wet leaves, etc.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:49 am

A tip I have always used was to try and sound like a deer when you walk, where you walk several steps real fast and stop for 30 seconds or so. I always try to imagine that I am trying to sneak up on a buddies stand, and that I want to fool him into thinking a deer is coming up on him. It seems to work but if you get in a hurry it wont work. My furthest spots I like to hunt after a rain or during high winds if possible. I tried to do the whole stick thing, and I just cant do it, not to mention it takes me over 30 minutes to hang a set of sticks and stand and I get all sweaty in the process. I went back to a climber, I am way faster with it, more comfy, and more likely to hunt in the mornings with a climber rather than a hang on that I need light to set up so I don't fall out of the tree.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:53 am

I think first and foremost you must understand it's not easy. I have always said bowhunting is 5% getting 95% hunting. My advice if you want to set up a stand and sticks you should practice this in non hunting situations first. Do it a bunch of times to see what you need to do to be as quite as possible. You can't watch a video of someone else setting up a stand and expect to just go out and do it. Next thing I'm going to say; you can't be popping button bucks and does and expect a mature buck to walk by. Hunting mature bucks is not a walk in the park. Another thing to take into consideration it is tough to try and do everything all at once. Shoot big bucks, film shooting big bucks, hunting big bucks in beds, using sticks and a hang on etc. Crawl, walk, run so to speak. I hope I haven't offended you, not my intention. Hope I did help put reality in front of ambition. Good luck
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:11 am

I have a hard time slowing down in my set-ups. Thats just how I am, at work , at home. And when I hit the woods I'm always worse. Like others said , giving yourself enough time is critical ! If you think you need an hour to get to your tree and set- up, DOUBLE IT . WHEN I.m rushing nothing comes together right, then you start to make mistakes. It might sound silly but at home or in a spot you don't hunt , practice setting up . See what works for you. You really need to find a system. And until you set-up that same way numerous times there will be steps you skip or mess up on, eventually it becomes automatic.
When you find that system write it down, and take it wyith you until it is engrained.
I use to get to my tree and be climbing up and down , forgot this and did'nt do that. Brought the bow up b4 I had my hanger screwed in , stuff like that.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:27 am

Lots of good advise here man, but one more thiing... Never, ever give up.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:33 am

Again lots of goods advice. I have been in the same boat before. Like others said give yourself plenty of time, and practice. with a little practice you get a system down and do it the same way each time, which make you more efficient and quite when setting the stand.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:20 am

I am as clumsy as they come but slowing down also helps you manage the sweat effect. I find a good boot with flatter soles help tremendously with noise...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:25 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:I am as clumsy as they come but slowing down also helps you manage the sweat effect. I find a good boot with flatter soles help tremendously with noise...

Great point Ed.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:24 pm

Great advice guys.As i type it is snowing...Which i think is good because i love hunting in the snow. But i am worried by the time i get out it will be very crunchy and noisy. Also i have not did the LW hang on and sticks either!Oh well....Bring it on!8-)
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:42 pm

On those really calm days I try to get in my stand as early as possible so I can take my good ole sweet time getting in. If I don't get there early I will start to creep slow but begin to find myself picking up the pace and making more and more noise along the way because the time is ticking by and I want to get to my stand! BUT, if you get there early you don't have to rush. Just take your time. Rain and wind help A LOT in the marshes I hunt. I used to hate wind, but I'm starting to like it now. :). I have found myself improving each and every year on my quiteness to my stand. I have found myself liking to go slower lately, I feel like a predator, like a wolf. aaaaawooooo :o .
:mrgreen:
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:09 am

kwaldeier wrote:Great advice guys.As i type it is snowing...Which i think is good because i love hunting in the snow. But i am worried by the time i get out it will be very crunchy and noisy. Also i have not did the LW hang on and sticks either!Oh well....Bring it on!8-)

Actually, you will have the opposite. Snow is very wet this time of year and your entrance should be very quiet! Great day to sneak in and get a set up going!

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:15 am

I figured the top layer would freeze solid so it would be very hard to do??? Oh well i will just have to see! It was not the solid snow, it was that wet stuff that is really wet and almost gone already :?
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:50 pm

The one thing I learned years ago on a tip from someone else on how to slow down is measure your stride and cut it in half when walking through the woods. When you walk a step and before you move again wait a sec. take time to listen to your surroundings. You will be amazed at what you can hear beside the crunching under your feet.
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:21 pm

When god made noise he had me in mind. I'm the loudest hunter in the woods. The quieter I try to be the louder I am, like my seat falling on my platform while strapping it to the tree. Can't tell you how many times that happened. I found that walking, when approaching you sight location, is walk side step. That way you don't have a heavy heel/toe strike. The side step dissipates noise more efficiently. Move slow like everyone has mentioned. I have slowed down a lot when walking. Sometimes stopping a couple of times to let everything calm down. I hate the dark cause I can't see nothin', but if you don't slow down and not alert everything in a 10mile radius, your chances of a mature buck will surely increase. Just don't let you stand POW on top on one another :shhh:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”