Lockdown

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetail4ever

Lockdown

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:38 pm

Ok, here is an interesting topic to bring up. What to do when they big boys are on lockdown...is it too early for that or about time for that to be going on. And, how do you change up your tactics when this is happening? Thanks guys...

The woods has so much to offer to the human soul...
BigHunt

Re: Lockdown

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:41 pm

this is were your spring scouting comes in my freind ..then youll know where the bedding areas are exactly and set up were necisary .... ;) this is a good time to hunt doe bedding areas cause were youll find hot does is probly were your going to find bucks
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
whitetail4ever

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:43 pm

Well well well, look who replied. Hey ya, I was thinking that would be an answer I'd get...especially from you. I hear ya. But, aren't the bedding areas anywhere along the thermal tunnels? Or, are you talking...doe territory all the way...?
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:47 pm

When bucks get locked down I hunt funnels mainly. Also like to get on a cut corn/bean field because in the evenings does have to eat and where there are does there will be bucks.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:47 pm

well mostly bedding but were theres a hot doe moving anyware there will be a buck with her most liky wating to mate and move on...but i also belevie that some buck stay with one doe and mate her as much as possible them move on
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:49 pm

muddy wrote:When bucks get locked down I hunt funnels mainly. Also like to get on a cut corn/bean field because in the evenings does have to eat and where there are does there will be bucks.

i could say it the way my dad says it but i think it to nauty for the beast :lol: i think you get my drift

where there is does theres buck ...something like this but a little differnt :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:51 pm

whitetail4ever wrote:...is it too early for that or about time for that to be going on. ...

I think we have about 4 or 5 days before we start seeing any sort of lock down. I"m still seeing does with their fawns and so are my buddies. Most times lockdown hits my part of Iowa around the 12-14th
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:52 pm

whitetail4ever wrote:Well well well, look who replied. Hey ya, I was thinking that would be an answer I'd get...especially from you. I hear ya. But, aren't the bedding areas anywhere along the thermal tunnels? Or, are you talking...doe territory all the way...?

there mostly right in the tunnle for full scenting advange ;)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
whitetail4ever

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:16 pm

I do feel that most mature bucks will shadow the doe in nearby cover as they are feeding, and not expose himself during daylight. So, ambushing a buck at this time would be perfect. However, stand placement is tough here, because it can be so unpredictable. I can't wait to scout in the spring, BigHunt. Truthfully, I want to just bypass this season and get to scouting...I know it will make hunting so much more rewarding and successful as well.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:26 pm

I've seen three different bucks who wouldn't leave a doe's side since Tuesday.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:58 pm

Interesting topic for sure.

Let's summarize for the sake of some that may not understand what some call the lock down period.

Pre rut: before the does are in heat. Bucks are chasing and looking for does that are coming around. The bigger bucks tend to do less of this, but big buck movement is more prevalent in thick heavy brush cover (hint). Bucks are not sequestered with does yet. Great time to kill a big one. I believe if you want to hunt a specific buck in a specific bed you have a good chance during this phase.

Rut: (peak) (lock down) period when many does come into heat. Bigger bucks bully over the smaller bucks and take the does to secluded areas to breed. You won't see these bucks moving around because they are locked down with does. They usually tend the does for about 3 days and then move on to another doe. This transition from one doe to the next is when you can get a big buck during the peak of the rut. During the peak of the rut bigger bucks are occupied with does so are less active and tougher to find and kill. My opinion if you are after a specific buck in a specific bed you are in for some very tough hunts. The bucks will not be in these beds but isolated (locked down) with does and who knows where?

Post rut: period after which majority of does have come into heat. Majority of the bucks are now free from being locked down with a doe. Big buck movement increases because the buck are looking for does in heat, and feeding more. Bucks are now in a transition phase from breeding to feeding. They are worn down from the rut and need to run less and eat more to build up body reserves for the winter. In my opinion this is the best time of year to whack the old boy. I believe you could find a specific buck in a specific bed during this time frame.

I've tried to explain it as simply and accurately as possible. I believe most seasoned hunters would agree with most of the above analysis, not necessarily in its entirety. Not every buck or big buck is predictable so anything can happen, but for the most part this synopsis is how the lock down works. I hope reading and understanding the above assay may help you out.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:36 am

muddy wrote:
whitetail4ever wrote:...is it too early for that or about time for that to be going on. ...

I think we have about 4 or 5 days before we start seeing any sort of lock down. I"m still seeing does with their fawns and so are my buddies. Most times lockdown hits my part of Iowa around the 12-14th

I seen a doe w/ her fawn yesterday evening. I was downwind of a few does and they sure didnt smell like they were ready.
Lock down here in NC, from what I can tell is about the same time. However according to Feild & Stream, the 12th is the best day to hunt this year for what its worth. I thought that kind of odd but.... :think:
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:13 pm

Last year on the 15th my trail cam pics went pretty much dead when It came to bucks. There's sometime yet like Muddy said. As for where I hunt In this phase (lockdown) of the rut? I'll hunt heavy doe trails leading to and from a feeding source. No different really then the way I'm hunting now In the seek and chase phase.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:59 pm

Last year I had my best first hand witness of lock down. In the past I've jumped bucks with does plenty but not a lot of actual lengthy encounters watching the entire process. It was about Nov 8 or so and the stand I was hunting was close to a confirmed bedding area. Towards evening I watched a nice doe exit the bedding by about 30 yards and begin feeding on white oaks. Watching her back trail I soon saw a buck. Nothing unusual about that but the activity was the key.

She ate acorns like normal while he was ever vigalent. First he spent a good deal of time just watching from the thick stuff, he never moved a step, just kept an eye on the doe and did a lot of looking around. When the doe starting wandering beyond a 30 yard radius he came out to corral her. He did not bust around and do this aggressively, he was very quiet and simply walked ahead of her and corralled her like a dog would sheep. He ate a few acorns himself but not many, most of his time was spent keeping her in a very tight area and watching.

Now this buck was a decent 3yo 9 point and borderline shooter. I finally decided I wanted to take him. Not moving far I had to resort to some calling. Grunting only seemed to lock him up in a stare down and when he was content he couldn't see a buck he went back to moving. The snort wheeze got a big reaction, he jumped out of his skin taking 3 huge bounds and spinning around. Again a long stare down. I believe in this case a decoy would have been needed. Eventually he followed her back into the bedding. These 2 never left a 30 yard perimeter from the bedding.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:10 pm

Stanley wrote:Interesting topic for sure.

Let's summarize for the sake of some that may not understand what some call the lock down period.

Pre rut: before the does are in heat. Bucks are chasing and looking for does that are coming around. The bigger bucks tend to do less of this, but big buck movement is more prevalent in thick heavy brush cover (hint). Bucks are not sequestered with does yet. Great time to kill a big one. I believe if you want to hunt a specific buck in a specific bed you have a good chance during this phase.

Rut: (peak) (lock down) period when many does come into heat. Bigger bucks bully over the smaller bucks and take the does to secluded areas to breed. You won't see these bucks moving around because they are locked down with does. They usually tend the does for about 3 days and then move on to another doe. This transition from one doe to the next is when you can get a big buck during the peak of the rut. During the peak of the rut bigger bucks are occupied with does so are less active and tougher to find and kill. My opinion if you are after a specific buck in a specific bed you are in for some very tough hunts. The bucks will not be in these beds but isolated (locked down) with does and who knows where?

Post rut: period after which majority of does have come into heat. Majority of the bucks are now free from being locked down with a doe. Big buck movement increases because the buck are looking for does in heat, and feeding more. Bucks are now in a transition phase from breeding to feeding. They are worn down from the rut and need to run less and eat more to build up body reserves for the winter. In my opinion this is the best time of year to whack the old boy. I believe you could find a specific buck in a specific bed during this time frame.

I've tried to explain it as simply and accurately as possible. I believe most seasoned hunters would agree with most of the above analysis, not necessarily in its entirety. Not every buck or big buck is predictable so anything can happen, but for the most part this synopsis is how the lock down works. I hope reading and understanding the above assay may help you out.

Yup! :mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”