Public Land Rut Hunt Questions?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Public Land Rut Hunt Questions?

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:04 am

Hey guys I am going to hit some public land tomorrow and Tuesday. Its supposed to windy and sunny tomorrow and windy/rainy/crappy Tuesday. I have not scouted the one piece but thanks to Dor know where I want to be. I am thinking of sneaking in at first light, like gray light, and moving in slowly and hanging my stand and sitting all day. If it's going to be raining and nasty Tuesday and I can find some scrapes should I set up on them? I have done a fair amount of rut hunting in the past but never on public land. I am anxious been seeing some good deer moving in daylight.

When do you guys see the best deer movement and what are the most ideal conditions. If I NEED to be in there when day breaks I'll go in a few hours before sunup, move slow and just wing it trying to find a good tree in the dark. I have heard talk of good deer movement occurring mid morning and early afternoon which is why I am thinking of creeping in around first light.

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
adrenalin
500 Club

Re: Public Land Rut Hunt Questions?

Unread postby adrenalin » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:24 am

If it's pressured public I would hunt it in the evenings only, from my expierence mornings are a waste of time on pressured public. If it's unpressured I would agree to go in at first light and sit all day. On the scrape thing, I would hunt natural funnels near bedding instead. That's where I've seen the biggest bucks cruising midday. I've also had good luck hunting the main trail that goes into doe bedding just outside the actual bedding area. I haven't had the luck some guys do with the down wind side of doe bedding.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:32 am

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately I have yet to set foot on this piece of property. We had a funky spring I went there to scout it and stepped out of the truck and the snow around me was up to my knees yet. I drove around the property (only 100 acres) and everything had a foot of standing water. So I never got to scout it however this is a spot Dor used to hunt when he went to school in this area and he shared some notes with me. Looks like an inside corner north of a swamp is a hot spot and the winds out of the south tomorrow should lead to massive amounts of cruising along the north transition. I am packing a lunch and planning for an all day sit.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:09 pm

I rarely set up over scrapes... If I do, its cause the scrapes are right where I intend to hunt anyway.
When and how you hunt the public depends on the type of public your hunting... Late morning rock in hill country, but not so much in pressured marshes.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:38 pm

Central WI pretty flat, a little marshy a mature pine stands and what appears to be a dense stand of hardwoods. Local rumor is two bucks that went p&Y were shot there last yr. The place isn't posted as public on the borders and its along a main hwy so it looks like it belongs to one of the neighboring houses. It actually is public though and I'd think hunting it on a Monday I'd have the place to myself...I haven't sat all day yet this year and don't do it much but I have nothing but time tomorrow so that is the plan. Should be fun in my little assault!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:36 pm

Good luck BackWoods!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”