Got a buck with the compound, taking the recurve out!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

Got a buck with the compound, taking the recurve out!

Unread postby Brad » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:50 pm

I have never killed a deer with a traditional setup, but with another week left of vacation time to use up, I kinda figure theres no time like the present. Can any traditional hunters give me some set up tips on what works best for you guys as far as shot distance, side of the tree you set up on etc., and cover around you when in the tree (long limbs could be a potential problem). Basically I have never taken the recurve out in the woods and need all the help I can get. I will be using a Hoyt Gamemaster II 50 lbs, 27 inch draw with easton legacy arrows with a 2 blade bear razer head (newer style) in 100 grains. Should I hunt out of a tree or possibly on the ground. I will be after a doe as I used up my only buck tag on halloween on my biggest bow buck to date.

Zap

Re: Got a buck with the compound, taking the recurve out!

Unread postby Zap » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:50 pm

Good luck. :mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:52 am

I think you just have to give it a go and figure it out as you go. I shoot a longbow (62") and like to "cant" it over to one side. However first time in a tree I found out a canted bow really limited my shot opportunitys. Like trying to shoot to your left if your a right handed shooter, the lower limb hits the seat on your stand, or the cables, or the tree itself. I have since gone to a more verticle hold, and it was a learning curve, but think I got it licked. Also if you havent shot from an elevated platform much with that trad bow, you will find drawing it is very difficult. The tip I can give ya is put 95% of your weight on your front foot, bend that leg a bit and seriously lean over to square up your shoulders with the deer. My ability to draw and make accurate shots went way up when I started using that technique. You can practice that on the ground a bit to get the hang of it. Pick a leaf or something 3ft away from ya, and lean forward and bend to square up your shoulders and shoot that leaf.
Good luck, nothing more rewarding then taking one with a Trad bow! Well until I get my Atlatl done that is. 8-)
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
NightwishMike
500 Club

Unread postby NightwishMike » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:34 am

Brad, Like Kenn said it's a lot of figuring it out as you go. I do a lot of "gear checks" when recurve hunting. Out of a treestand I would just think about your lower limb and form the whole time you are setting up.

I always think to myself: if I can square my shoulders to it I can shoot it.

So my recurve treestand placement to a shooting lane is a more rotated than with my compound. Hunting out of a ground blind is kinda similar. I tend to sit perpendicular to my shooting lane so my shoulders are already squared to the target. I also sit off to the left side of the blind so the top limb has more room (right handed shooter). The deer I shot this year was out of a blind through the shoot-through screen to mask my draw as much as possible.

Remember to pick a spot and good luck!
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:50 am

Lookin forward to kill pics my man 8-)
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:51 am

Thanks for the tips guys! I knew there would have to be a difference with the stand set up due to how long these things are. I hope to play some string music with the old girl and soon!!!
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:23 pm

Don't be going up no tree without practicing 1st from one. Hunting with a traditional bow Is a COMPLETELY different animal. Like has already been said you will have to trim much more so you have clearance for them long limbs. Practice like you hunt. I've been hunting with a recurve only for 16 years now, It's a blast and a great challenge as well.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”