Dinkasaurus - a public land buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

Dinkasaurus - a public land buck

Unread postby muddy » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:27 pm

This morning I was up and at 'em very early, around 0400. I looked at weather, ate some breakfast, and got stuff loaded up. I opened the garage door and there standing in the driveway in suburbia was a nice little 2 year old buck out crusing for petunias I suppose. I took it as a good omen and hopped in and drove to an out of the way chunk of public land that did not receive a lot of pressure due to it's way out of the way location. I had quite a walk and wanted to get moving.

This set is on an old fenceline that must have been a boarder between two old pastures or fields. The fenceline is thick, but has very large oaks on it. The areas to it's side are now EXTREMELY thick undergrowth and key doe bedding ares. I was positioned on the downwind side on the edge of a steep drop off with a drainage ditch below me. This location is bulletproof for being winded and a location I"ve been wanting to hunt since this springs shed hunt. Sure enough I had several bucks cruise the downwind side of this doe bedding area looking for love, but I was positioned perfectly.

I had a doe, her fawn, and a dink come thru fairly early. Then another couple dinks came thru on that does track. I immediately figured she was close to being hot because they were really dogging her. As I was sitting in stand I noticed another buck in the bottoms and grunted to him a couple times. As I was glassing him all of a sudden to my right the timber just freaking blew up. I looked over slowly to see a very nice looking buck taking his frustrations out on a tree. I can only assume he was following that does track and heard my grunting and came in blind.

He worked that tree over, made a scrape, peed in it and on himself and then started my way. Every step he would grunt loudly and posture and then after a few more steps he would stop and repeat the process. In total he made 5 scrapes and rubs in an EXTREMELY aggressive manner. I don't really know what happened when he got to 30 yards, I drew my bow knowing that he was smaller than any buck I've shot in 5 years but I didn't care. I was shaking on adreneline and this buck was about 30 seconds from taking on a Grim Reaper tipped carbon lollipop. When he stopped at 18 yards I punched him. He took 2 bounds and I was certain he was in deep trouble as he was REALLY pumping blood. I never saw him go down but shortly after he ran away another buck came from the same direction and kept looking back and posturing up at something in the deep brush.

I climbed down and immediately found my arrow and unbelieveable sign. At this point I thought it would be fun to video myself with my camera so I'll just post the video and you can see my reaction about 20 minutes after the shot. I accidentally hit the stop button so the video is in 2 segments.

Part 2 I guess.

Also for fun I decided to try and film the blood trail, I apologize it's a little shaky and also hard to see but you'll get the idea. There's also some footage of the buck when I get up to him, you will see it was indeed "smoke city".

Here are some photos of the blood trail. Freaking best blood trail I've ever had.

The end of the trail

The buck had, in my opinion, some ground shrinkage and I'll admit a twinge of disappointment but it soon faded, especially after I got home to show the kids. Their excitement made this public land buck quite possibly the best bow kill I've ever had simply because they knew daddy had done something cool. The following are some photos of the autopsy and a little tribute to Rancid and his knife.

Entrance lung

Exit side lung

I named him Dinkasaurus just to be odd. He's a great buck and one I'm very proud of. Here's a picture of him cleaned up and positioned a little. Thanks for reading the story of my first archey public land buck.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
BCam

Re: Dinkasaurus - a public land buck

Unread postby BCam » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:33 pm

I would have definitely flung an arrow at him! congrats.
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:35 pm

Now what? Muddy didn't you wait to start hunting the last week? That didn't take you long -great buck. You make it look so easy.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:38 pm

Great buck, shot and story Muddy. BTW- that is one gorgeous knife!
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:50 pm

Mud, awesome buck! I have to say though first public land buck? you live a charmed life, you dirty dog! congrats brother you allways impress.
Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:53 pm

Congrats Muddy on a great kill! Public land too.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:55 pm

Nice buck Muddy! :clap:
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:00 pm

Great story and great buck Mudd. I would have my chest puffed out if I were you.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:03 pm

That's a good buck, nicely done!!!
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:12 pm

Thats an awesome buck! I wouldn't have even had a second thought of shoot or not, the bow would have been at full draw! Congrats on a great buck (public or private, but especially public!) and a great story. The blood trail was superb to say the very least!
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:18 pm

Congrats, Muddy.

Very nice buck. :mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:46 pm

That is an awesome buck Muddy, Congrats to you mister!
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:49 pm

Congrats Muddy :D :clap:
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:52 pm

congrats muddy! thats no dink in my woods
DevinJD2007
500 Club