Heading Out To The Stand-Good Luck This Morning Alll!!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

sticknstringarchery

Heading Out To The Stand-Good Luck This Morning Alll!!!

Unread postby sticknstringarchery » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:14 pm

6:15am Here in NC and I am about to head out the door in the next 10min. Just wanted to say good luck to everyone who is out this cool fall morning!!! If you have any or don't have any luck let us all know how your hunt went!!

Edcyclopedia

Re: Heading Out To The Stand-Good Luck This Morning Alll!!!

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:19 pm

Go git em
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
DeereGuy

Unread postby DeereGuy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:49 pm

Ditto....good luck!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Be safe and enjoy!
Bob
2011 Parker Enforcer
1976 Bear Kodaik Magum Recurve
Summit Viper SD climber
Ameritech Stackhouse ground blind
Grim Reaper 100gr. Razor Cut SS 3 blade 1.75 broadheads
2 Wildgame D8 trail cams
Bushnell Yardage Pro Sport 450 RF
DeereGuy

Unread postby DeereGuy » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:02 am

30 mins late getting to my stand ....but the wind is perfect this am...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Be safe and enjoy!
Bob
2011 Parker Enforcer
1976 Bear Kodaik Magum Recurve
Summit Viper SD climber
Ameritech Stackhouse ground blind
Grim Reaper 100gr. Razor Cut SS 3 blade 1.75 broadheads
2 Wildgame D8 trail cams
Bushnell Yardage Pro Sport 450 RF
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:48 am

How did you do?
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
sticknstringarchery

Unread postby sticknstringarchery » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:07 pm

Stanley wrote:How did you do?

Well, this morning wasn't a complete disaster of a hunt. Really it went well. I sat a set I hadn't tried before. It was about 25yd off the edge of one of my food plots. I set up on a trail that went right to the plot. 14yd off the trail to be exact. I had pics of 2 different little bucks from earlier this week and some other relatively fresh signs. I was set up on the south side of the plot. To the north side is a 2acer old grown up pasture where I had my field archery range set up until earlier this year. I have a 100yd rifle sighting range there now that I set up for my brother to use. Everything is grown up about 4feet high except a 10' wide 100yd strip. I didn't have anything come into the food plot but, I did see one doe running right down the middle of the rifle range. While setting up, I had the best set up ever. It only took me 15 min to set up and that was with trimming a few branches of a neighboring tree on the way up. I felt like it was super quiet also. I came out at 11:00 due to a kids birthday party or els I would have stayed until my stomach made me leave.

This afternoon I headed in a little later than I wanted too. I was set up by 3:30pm. I would rather had been in around 1:30. At 4:06 I got a text from my brother. He had been watching Guss (a wide 8 point I have been tracking since may) for the past 20 minutes out of range. I have put all the pieces together on where he is bedding and times he has been coming through to a certain point but couldn't connect the last little bit of his travel rout from his bed on our property to the neighbors property. I finally know the last 150yd of his rout. I know this isn't concrete and he can go wherever when ever but, our cattle breeder who leases a small portion of on of our pastures spotted him a few times in the same area crossing the pasture at the beginning of the season. He caught him in the headlights as he came across the pasture but, couldn't tell exactly where he was crossing when he saw him since it was dark.

At 5:45pm I couldn't take it anymore. I climbed down out of my set next to my food plot. As I was walking out I found fresh deer droppings all around my tree, All withing 10yd. By fresh I mean it was still really soft and on top of leaves. They must have been in there while I was gone to the kids birthday party. I will be back to this set for an all day sit later in the next couple weeks.

Back to guss. I text my brother and let him know I was going to the house to get the 4wheeler and head his way. I wanted to do a quick in quick out scout for later this week. What I found was awesome!! for lack of a better term I will call it a historic rub line. There were rubs all the way down this ridge line. Most old and some new. I have no idea how I have missed this. In 30yd there were 10 old rubs I found and one new one and more as I made my way down the hill. I found my tree and got out.

I know since I haven't arrowed a deer before this may sound stupid to try as far as go after a big buck but, man, I swear I have lost countless hours of sleep thinking about this guy being my first. I have another plan for whacking some does that I put together after connecting some other dots I have been trying to since before season started.

Short answer, I didn't kill anything but, I gained a ton of knowledge and to me that adds up to more kills in the future.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:44 pm

Cool story and you had fun. That's the main thing.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
sticknstringarchery

Unread postby sticknstringarchery » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:18 am

Stanley wrote:Cool story and you had fun. That's the main thing.

Finally a hunt I didn't feel defeated on. :lol: Really though I feel really good for this up and coming week. I also think I have been hunting too many mornings and not enough afternoons. Early season here we see way more deer in the mornings or at least thats what we know due to thats when we usually hunt.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”