Duffed It!!!!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stuart
500 Club

Duffed It!!!!!

Unread postby Stuart » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:20 pm

I have been hunting hard since opening day. Tonight with the first gun season only a few days away I knew I had to make a move before the woods got shot up (Public land). I slipped into the woods with my Lone Wolf on my back and setup where a known doe bedding area was.

I have passed these does up 3-4 times now but I knew if I didn't get them the orange army would. At around 5:30 what I thought was a doe came out and I got the camera rolling. Once I could see the deer though the cover it turned out to be a spike buck. Then movement caught my eye further to the right and knew this is a buck I would take. It was only a 100 inch buck but would be great for a first deer on video with a bow.

He was coming in fast, swung the camera arm to the right. My harness that was connected to the tree was getting in the way of me drawing my bow. I finally got it and drew my bow. I thought the buck was at about 40 yards away so aimed a little high with my single pin, but turns out he was closer. My luminok goes over his back!!! Dammit :? :? :?

I snort wheeze at the buck and grab another arrow, draw my bow and shoot again. The arrow looked a little forward but thought I made a hit. The buck walked off and bedded down 30 yards away from where I shot him. YES I THOUGHT :)

15 minutes later he gets up and keeps walking :evil:

It looks like I grazed him and didn't wound him because he slowly walked off and when you put a good hit on a buck he will always run out of there. Going in tomorrow to see if I can get my arrows or see any blood but it is unlikely. Back at the house I reviewed the film and couldn't see the shot because he just walked out of the frame which would set this whole thing straight :x

The rut is coming soon so shouldn't give up, hope you are having better luck than I am :lol:

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Duffed It!!!!!

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:26 pm

I have fatally shot deer and had them walk off... It don't happen alot, but you might of hit him better than you think. Take a better look in the morning.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:30 pm

a friend of mine called me and was telling me that he shot at a big ten pointer with his single shot 12 gauge shotgun... He said the deer looked up at him and then walked off, as soon as he tried putting another shell in it ran. He was really crying the blues telling me he couldn't believe he could miss with a gun at 10 yards... I couldn't believe it either so I made him take me to where he missed... Took me about 10 minutes to find his dead buck.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:33 pm

I've gut shot one deer.

That's pretty much what she did (what you described).

Good luck. I hope you missed (clean) or find him.
Lateral Bowhunter
BCam

Unread postby BCam » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:57 pm

I dbl lung shot a little basket racked 8 pt when i was in high school. He acted like nothing happened. 15yd shot, i was wondering what the heck was going on. He took about 5 steps and then started gettting shakey a few min. later. Fell over dead. pretty crazy!
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:20 pm

Keep your chin up......sounds like a liver or gut shot hit. Deer was sick and bedded right away and then walked off to bed again soon. If you were quite on your exit out he may not be far. Good luck.

[ Post made via BlackBerry Curve ] Image
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:38 pm

Good luck tomorrow Stuart! Looking forward to seeing some pics!
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:39 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:Keep your chin up......sounds like a liver or gut shot hit. Deer was sick and bedded right away and then walked off to bed again soon. If you were quite on your exit out he may not be far. Good luck.

[ Post made via BlackBerry Curve ] Image

Yep, killed a few bucks that walked off and found them the next day within 60 yards of the shot
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:02 pm

Stuart wrote:I At around 5:30 what I thought was a doe came out and I got the camera rolling.

He was coming in fast, swung the camera arm to the right.

The reason why I really never understood the desire to film. I'd rather focus on getting the job done than messing with the video aspect, just my personal preference.

The arrow looked a little forward but thought I made a hit. The buck walked off and bedded down 30 yards away from where I shot him. YES I THOUGHT :)

Some have commented on a liver hit, which I have seen such hit deer bed down quickly, only to get back up. You state "a little forward" which doesn't make me think liver.
The rut is coming soon so shouldn't give up, hope you are having better luck than I am :lol:

Not exactly sure what you mean by this statement, but I wouldn't give up on this buck so readily.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:14 pm

The doe I shot the other day acted like I missed, she only walked about 5 steps and stood there a little while till she tipped over. Good Luck
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:10 pm

Look some more tomorrow. And tell us what happened.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:48 pm

Give it a few more hours of searching grids, circles, water...

Good luck :pray:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:32 am

Bad news, didn't find the buck. Found both arrows and the second arrow had alot of hair on it and little blood, none on the shaft or vanes. I will still be in that wood lot hunting hear and there and will watch for any birds circling the area or news from other hunters.

I think it was a flesh wound by the front leg, there was no blood in the bed where he laid down.

Here are some pics...........

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”