Swamp donkey lives on!!!! Update, with pictures

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Goober

Swamp donkey lives on!!!! Update, with pictures

Unread postby Goober » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:49 am

So I don't spend alot of time hunting swamp country, mostly the hills for me. But 3 years ago now, I went into a local swamp where I knew some does to hang out, looking for some tender doe meat. Having allready tag 2 large bucks with a bow, strictly doe hunting now. Well, I am sure you can imagine what walks by my stand! Nasty, twisted, broken rack, full of stickers non-typical beast! It was pretty dark (bow allready lowered), so I didn't get the clearest look at him, but a Beast for sure. Saw him one other time through binos in the snow late season. 2 years ago hunted him about a dozen times, one "possible" encouter with the flashlight on the way out, and he ran behind me one time in the brush after a little buck. Went out after season then trying to find his sheds and beds, and nothing. Last year then went back and looked for his sign again, nothing. Assumed that he got shot or died back in the swamp. Well, HE LIVES!!!! I was scounting this morning, had my dog and duck gun looking for some puddle ducks, when he blasted out from his old haunt at 15 yards!!!!! He is a BRUTE!!!! I think he would actually score lower now than the last time I saw him, but I dont care. THE SWAMP DONKEY LIVES!!! I dont think I will sleep untill he is dead now! I am so pumped to go after this buck. I would guess him at 7 years old. Easily the oldest buck I have ever seen. He has a brisket like and old bull, and his face is even looking kind of saggy. never seen anything like this old boy. No doubt in my mind same buck. I wonder where he disapeared to for 2 years? Then came back? Anyone ever have a deer completly check out of any area like that then come back? Because I am pretty sure he was not there (anywhere inside the 150 acre swamp), but he is back now!!!!
Last edited by Goober on Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brandon
500 Club

Re: Swamp donkey lives on!!!!

Unread postby Brandon » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:08 am

I would setup tomorrow morning above that bed. He may come back sine his escape worked .

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
You can't kill em on the couch
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:37 am

Get him Ben.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:00 pm

Get him Goober!
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:45 pm

8-)
lynchpin

Unread postby lynchpin » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:17 pm

Great story! Hope you get a shot at him !
go DEEP or go HOME
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:33 pm

Good Luck!! I can't wait to see the photos of this swamp donkey!!!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:12 pm

In my parts swamp donkey's are Moose...

Sounds like you need a friend to take care of business, I'll send my application :)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:51 am

I took a little sneak down to Swamp Donkey's neighborhood yesterday with the strong wind's helping me out. I managed to sneak around to an observation point about 200 yards away and about 50 feet higher elevation. After about 90 minutes of glassing an area about 75 yards x 30 yards I found him taking a nap. I sat and watched until about 1/2 before dark, he got up once and streched, but didn't move more than 3 steps before laying down again. Beautiful buck. Funny how our priorities change, here I had pretty easy opportunity to kill a buck that has been haunting my dreams with on shot from the ol' rifle, but never even considered it. The worst part is, I gotta wait for rifle season to end, then muzzleloader, then 4 days of antlerless season before I will have a chance to go after the old boy. I hope he doesn't disapear on me again!!! Sleepless nights ahead for sure.....to be continued..................
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:29 am

Goober wrote:I took a little sneak down to Swamp Donkey's neighborhood yesterday with the strong wind's helping me out. I managed to sneak around to an observation point about 200 yards away and about 50 feet higher elevation. After about 90 minutes of glassing an area about 75 yards x 30 yards I found him taking a nap. I sat and watched until about 1/2 before dark, he got up once and streched, but didn't move more than 3 steps before laying down again. Beautiful buck. Funny how our priorities change, here I had pretty easy opportunity to kill a buck that has been haunting my dreams with on shot from the ol' rifle, but never even considered it. The worst part is, I gotta wait for rifle season to end, then muzzleloader, then 4 days of antlerless season before I will have a chance to go after the old boy. I hope he doesn't disapear on me again!!! Sleepless nights ahead for sure.....to be continued..................

:? Are you not hunting Wisconsin? Bow season is open during gun season now...
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:46 am

Dan, I did consider going in after him with the bow, but I didn't want to give myself away to the rest of the Orange Army who would have seen me up in the tree, then if anyone saw me dragging him out that spot would forever be invaded by droves of people. I'll wait untill the weekend warriors are back in the Lazy Boys watching football and playing poker, then if I get lucky enough to get an arrow into him, I can have a friend help me get him out under the cover of darkness. I'm sure you understand the need for stealth and discretion when going after a monster on public land :-)
rochester coops

Unread postby rochester coops » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:30 pm

wrap him in a body bag, i mean tarp and drag him out on a sled
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:31 am

Wow great update Goober... When are you going to hunt him?

I have to say, your a better man that myself... ida smoked em with the ole rifle! :mrgreen:

Keep us posted! :dance:
You can't kill em on the couch
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:59 am

Brandon, I don't know. I am staring at my calander right now trying to figure it out. Unfortunately, my time is really winding down. I take alot of time off in Oct/Nov, so this time a year I am back to working 80+ hours a week. I have about 6 hunting days in December, so hopefully I can get a good weather (wind) day to go after him!!!! He is literally haunting my dreams. One of these days I will get some motivation and time to upload some pics, and I will load the pictures of his sheds up for all to see, hopefully next to his new rack in my hands!!!!
NightwishMike
500 Club

Unread postby NightwishMike » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:03 am

Good luck Goober. What do you do for a living that has you working 80+ hours per week??

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”