Swamp donkey lives on!!!! Update, with pictures

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Goober

Re: Swamp donkey lives on!!!!

Unread postby Goober » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:37 pm

My "real" job is a firefighter/paramedic. But I also teach at a hospital, and work a second part time job on another fire department. In the winter I plow snow, and in the summer I do some construction and spend alot of time on the family farm. Those part time jobs all go on hold for october and november, and at my real job I work alot of OT and bank it for time off for hunting. We also get to do unlimited time trades, so I work alot of shifts for other guys then they pay me back during the fall. I am one of the blessed few who can only work one or two days (24 hour days) during oct and november. Truly blessed! 3 deer, alot of ducks and geese, and a turkey now fill the freezer for the long winter of working :-) Oh yeah and a few walleyes and trout too!

Goober

Unread postby Goober » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:39 pm

While I get to do alot of hunting, time for scouting is very limited :-( Boots on the ground and time in a tree have to make up for it in the fall.
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:39 am

Well, today is the day. Going to look at a new truck this morning, then in the afternoon going in after The Swamp Donkey. The wind is not going to be ideal, so I am not sure if I will get to where I wanted to be, or if I will have to choose differently. I may not even go up a tree. I may put chest waders in to access, then I may make my stand tucked in on the far stream back near his bed where I think he likes to cross. I have tomorrow afternoon as well, so if I get there and I dont think it is going to work, I may back out and save it. Time to make a move though, or it is going to be too late!!!
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:16 am

Go get em

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:52 am

Good luck!!! I really hope you put this bad boy to the ground!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:06 pm

Goober wrote:Dan, I did consider going in after him with the bow, but I didn't want to give myself away to the rest of the Orange Army who would have seen me up in the tree, then if anyone saw me dragging him out that spot would forever be invaded by droves of people. I'll wait untill the weekend warriors are back in the Lazy Boys watching football and playing poker, then if I get lucky enough to get an arrow into him, I can have a friend help me get him out under the cover of darkness. I'm sure you understand the need for stealth and discretion when going after a monster on public land :-)

I completely understand your sneaky approach hunting on public land. I am the same way and hate people knowing where I am hunting and do whatever I can to keep a spot secret. I am after a similar buck like you speak of and happy to see the orange army go away as well. Good luck to you!

Goober

Unread postby Goober » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:23 pm

Very bad news. I am 99% sure that Swamp Donkey got poached. I went in there today, a two hour walk in in chest waders in a waist deep creek to access without spoking him, even though his bed is less than 100 yards from a road. Got to the area and was sitting there gauging the wind, deciding if I should put my stand up or sit backed into the creek bank, when I looked up the bank and saw a large deer carcass, mostly eaten with the head cut off. My heart sank!! All ready sure who it was, I went up there and found a large deer carcass, mostly eaten, with the head obviously cut off with a knife. The neck meat was not eaten at all, and a clean cut, no saw marks to the bone, and no head nearby. About a week old in my estimation. Swamp Donkey's 2 near by beds I checked had tracks and crap in them, but nothing less than a week old. I figure that someone shot him during the stupid doe only season last weekend. UN BELIEVABLE. I took some pictures, GPS marked the spot and called the DNR tip line. Not that there is anything that they will be able to do about it now. Just sickening to me. Unreal that someone can do that to such an awesome creature.

Dang I hate public land right now.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:31 pm

That really sucks!! Sorry to hear that! Keep your eyes and ears open for somebody bragging about this buck. That person needs to be turned in.

wappkid
Facebook: Brian Stucker

Unread postby wappkid » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:37 pm

That's terrible

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:39 pm

Goober wrote:Very bad news. I am 99% sure that Swamp Donkey got poached. I went in there today, a two hour walk in in chest waders in a waist deep creek to access without spoking him, even though his bed is less than 100 yards from a road. Got to the area and was sitting there gauging the wind, deciding if I should put my stand up or sit backed into the creek bank, when I looked up the bank and saw a large deer carcass, mostly eaten with the head cut off. My heart sank!! All ready sure who it was, I went up there and found a large deer carcass, mostly eaten, with the head obviously cut off with a knife. The neck meat was not eaten at all, and a clean cut, no saw marks to the bone, and no head nearby. About a week old in my estimation. Swamp Donkey's 2 near by beds I checked had tracks and crap in them, but nothing less than a week old. I figure that someone shot him during the stupid doe only season last weekend. UN BELIEVABLE. I took some pictures, GPS marked the spot and called the DNR tip line. Not that there is anything that they will be able to do about it now. Just sickening to me. Unreal that someone can do that to such an awesome creature.

Dang I hate public land right now.

:shock: :shock: your kidding man that realy sucks .......
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:53 pm

:evil:

I can't even explain my frustration. Passing on this buck with a gun, finding his sheds, watching him grow up, disapear then come back, waiting for the perfect time to go in, not being able to make the drive a few times due to taking my wife hunting, then having the chance to go with decent weather, and then finding a rotting carcass that the mother f***rs didn't even take the meat.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:57 pm

Goober wrote::evil:

I can't even explain my frustration. Passing on this buck with a gun, finding his sheds, watching him grow up, disapear then come back, waiting for the perfect time to go in, not being able to make the drive a few times due to taking my wife hunting, then having the chance to go with decent weather, and then finding a rotting carcass that the mother f***rs didn't even take the meat.

:shock: OMG DUDE ........WOW MAN I WOULD BE IRATE TOO: :angry-banghead:

i would be ashamed
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:14 pm

man that freakin sucks. unbelievable what people do just for a set of antlers.
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:50 pm

Goober

Unread postby Goober » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:54 pm

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”