Swamp donkey lives on!!!! Update, with pictures

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Re: Swamp donkey lives on!!!! Update, with pictures

Unread postby Kodiakman » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:23 am

Major bummer doesn't even come close to summing it up. That's terrible. I hate hunters that do this crap. I hold their status cheap. Unfortunatly it happens way too much. That's horrible.

How far from the road was it?? If is was a road poacher good luck finding them. If it was someone who walked in... I would guess they will be going back.... next year or the year after..... Maybe dipstick would unwittingly reveal himself if you get to talking with him. I would be catty and talk with anyone who you see hunting there in the future. Be the nicest guy and play stupid. People are dumb and lazy and love to brag about themselves. Especailly the dopes that do this crap, that's how most get caught. He'll go back there again because it worked before. If he is a bigger fool he may talk about bucks he's taken here in the past. Might even have a pic on his cell phone. I have guys that come into the bar that are showing me pics of their mounts every chance they get. People love to brag. This could work, keep your eyes and ears peeled.

I just hope you nail the guy.

It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:34 am

That sucks big time. Hope they catch whoever did it and nail him to the wall! :evil:
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:09 pm

Kodiak, it is about 75 yards from the edge of a field that would have been 150 yards from a road. Possible, but I don't think so. I think it was someone out during the stupid doe rifle hunt that just got lucky to jump him while walking and had no ethics. Until they get busted for something else, which they will someday, they will get away with it. But everyday they will have to stare at that mount and know what they did.

At first I was regretting that I didn't shoot him with the rifle during the 9 day, but then he would be on my wall and I would be the one looking at it with regret everyday.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:41 pm

That wasn't a very good ending, sorry to hear Ben.

Sounds like I wasn't the only one following along and pulling for you.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:18 am

Goober wrote:But everyday they will have to stare at that mount and know what they did.

At first I was regretting that I didn't shoot him with the rifle during the 9 day, but then he would be on my wall and I would be the one looking at it with regret everyday.

Goober... sad story and I was rooting for you. This is the problem with public land.

It was very hard for some of us to read that you watched and passed him. These big deer are very tough to kill on public land and if your in a stage in your hunting career where youve knocked down some big bucks and only want to use a bow that your choice, but that choice may have consequences.

Dont kid yourself into thinking whomeever shot that deer will feel bad looking at the mount because they wont.
You can't kill em on the couch
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:37 am

Brandon, I wouldn't have felt right shooting that buck with a bow at all. I set my goal to get him with the bow, and after I made that decision, in my mind shooting him with a rifle would have been just as shooting him with a spotlight. The only difference is it was my rule and not the DNR's rule. I knew there was a possilblity that someone would put a tag on him, and while I would have been dissapointed, I would have been tickled to death for them. But I hopefully would have heard about it and got to talk to who ever shot him and share his story and get my hands on him.

I guess at this point I am just happy that I have 2 "out west" trips planned for next year. Pretty bitter about my backyard right now.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”