Deer Response to Wind direction change?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AB_Vinny

Deer Response to Wind direction change?

Unread postby AB_Vinny » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:07 am

If one is going out for an evening hunt for example and the forcast predicts a west wind that will shift to a south wind in the last 3 hours of hunting time will the deer get up and relocate to take advantage of the wind direction (i.e. move from a east-facing slope to a north-facing slope) or will it just affect the direction they approach their food source?
(question is for both hill bucks and those deer that bed in isolated thickets).

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Deer Response to Wind direction change?

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:48 am

Bucks move around in bedding areas irregardless of wind directional changes. Not too often a buck will bed down and stay put all day. This really holds true during the rut. If you know the bedding areas location and the wind changes you the hunter must change position along with the wind direction change. Another thing to remember the wind just doesn't switch from west to south it makes a swing through W, SW, then to South. A West wind usually covers a little West, WSW, WNW especially on light wind days. All things to remember. Good luck.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:07 am

I agree with Stan, but would like to add, that I hasve seen bucks move beds right after a wind change, but not far... I don't think the often move long distances. I shot my highest scoring buck by knowing where he was bedded and taking advantage of a midday wind change knowing there was no place for him to move to without going for a long walk..
AB_Vinny

Unread postby AB_Vinny » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:12 am

dan wrote:I agree with Stan, but would like to add, that I hasve seen bucks move beds right after a wind change, but not far... I don't think the often move long distances. I shot my highest scoring buck by knowing where he was bedded and taking advantage of a midday wind change knowing there was no place for him to move to without going for a long walk..

Ah so that is why they like points so much so they can just turn the corner. I guess I can use this to my advantage, knowing the wind is changing before the deer does!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”