I'm not a happy camper.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schultzy
500 Club

I'm not a happy camper.

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:03 am

My 4 year old daughter has been asking me every time I get In from hunting If I got a deer because she wants to go tracking so bad. I've been hunting my a$$ off hard the last 10 days so I can make that wish of my daughters to come true so she can go tracking and help get her dads deer. I've been close, I've had 3 very close calls on 2 different 4.5 year old bucks. Make that 4 close calls with this mornings hunt. At 8:45 this morning 2 doe's and a fawn were getting chased around by a buck north of me. I couldn't tell what buck It was until he got closer once the doe's made their way to me. After finally seeing him good I knew what buck It was and that I'd take him If the shot presented Itself. The doe's came by at 15 yards on both sides of my tree. He came with them, he hardly ever stood still. He was In pursuit of these doe's heavily. I drawed on him 3 times but every time I'd get to almost full draw he'd take a quick left or right trying to head a doe off that would try to move. Finally I was able to hit full draw with him at 20 yards and let the arrow fly. The arrow was going absolutely perfect to start with until he decided to go Into doe mode again and lower his body to take off after a doe that was to my right. He dropped a good 3 to 4 Inches I bet by the time my arrow hit him. It looks as though I hit him right on top of the spine. Maybe a Inch of penetration by the looks of It.

I did everything right but he had other things on his mind. As soon as my brother gets down from hunting this morning were going to go and track him. I know were not going to get him but ya gotta go anyway. Worst part Is I've gotta explain this one to my daughter. She's going to want to go with.

Dewey

Re: I'm not a happy camper.

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:06 am

Doesn't sound good :( Sorry to hear about that!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:10 am

sorry to hear that.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:16 am

Too bad Shultzy, hang in there.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:33 am

Impossible to recover them when hit in the steaks. Sorry, you will have better luck for sure.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
sticknstringarchery

Unread postby sticknstringarchery » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:39 am

I haven't shot one wih a bow yet but, my brother lost one earlier this season. I know it sucks bad when it happens. I know it sucks when you miss also. I missed the only animal I have ever shot at about 4 or 5 weeks ago.

It may be too early for this and may be different for boys than girls or may just depend on your daughter but, have you considered taking her anyways? If she knows from the time she can remember that it does happen from time to time and that is a part of hunting even if you do everything right. It may be too hard on her at this age but, then again it could help her out later in her hunting life.

Like I said it may be too early for her and may just depend on how she takes stuff but, if it were me, I would at least give it a thought. Naybe even talk it over with her mom and see what she says.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:49 am

Keep your head up, things will come together when they are meant to be. Good luck on your track job. Let us know what you find.
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:07 am

Sorry to hear this Steve! Hopefully your efforts will be rewarded!
NightwishMike
500 Club

Unread postby NightwishMike » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:23 am

Hang in there! Hopefully you'll get another crack at him.
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:32 am

hope you find him
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:59 am

Stanley wrote:Impossible to recover them when hit in the steaks.
Agree but you gotta go look anyway. Like I said I know where I hit him and that he's going to be just fine. Actually I don't believe I got much of the steaks at all. My arrow went In to low to catch the big part of the back straps. We tracked him a good 150 yards with not much blood. 100 yards Into the blood trail he started zigging and zagging. Every time he did this he was by doe beds. I believe he was chasing already again. Didn't find the arrow either, It's more then likely stuck In the spine some. I hope like heck that arrow comes out before the gun opener here tomorrow. It's gotta look terrible.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:49 am

Sorry to hear Steve, hold the course - you'll connect soon!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”