What goes with you on a typical hunt?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

sticknstringarchery

Re: What goes with you on a typical hunt?

Unread postby sticknstringarchery » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:04 am

I am new and I feel I take way too much with me and plan on figuring out what I actually need. I have eliminated a few things since last season like doe pee and dominate buck urine. I don't really know what I am doinf with them so I figure its best I don't even buy them this season.

Bow (you would think that was a given but, I did leave it once this year. about 300yd away from my house I remembered it. half asleep.)
Back pack (I never leave without it. I have my quiver permanently attached to it now)
saw
bow hanger
scent eliminating spray (not sure I even need it since I hunt the wind anyways)
exctra bow hanger (small $.98 one from walmart)
Small bino's (another thing I am thinking about eliminating)
allen pack (never know. might need them)
batteries for cameras and for flashlights
small bright LED flashlight
headlamp
large knife
small knife
grunt tube (may leave it at home from now on. I tend to want to use it to blind call)
Little can call (probably need to leave it at home to for same reason)
hoist rope
I wear my harness
tree strap for harness
cell phone
wallet
face paint
grizzly (going to try quitting this soon)
Spit bottle
climbing stand (even though I have permanant stands I use this 85%+ of the time)
flagging tape
release
extra skull cap when its really cold (dropped my main one this past weekend was glad I had it)
Now that muzzle loader season is in and rifle will be in the 12th, orange neck warmer. I reverse it to cammo when I get on stand.
rain gear if the weather man says it may be needed.
Couple extra small bungies just incase.

GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:41 am

You guys bring wayyyyy to much crap with you. :lol:

Honestly I used to bring a ton of stuff and I realized that you never use a quarter of what you bring.....so I cut back. Now all I carry in is:

Stand / 3 Sticks / 3 EZ Steps
Bow
Release
Pull Rope
License / Pen
Knife
Grunt
Bottle of water
Range Finder
Milk Weed

Maybe a book and some snacks or sandwich for an all day sit.

The more crap you bring the more movement you have so you can use it all, the more weight you have on your back and you really never use half of it anyway.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:42 pm

Saw
milkweed( got a pocket full) :D
bow
stand
camera/ arm
flashlight
grunt call at this time of the year
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:59 pm

GRFox wrote:The more crap you bring the more movement you have so you can use it all, the more weight you have on your back and you really never use half of it anyway.

I hear that but I've always been an advocate of "It's better to have it and not use it than to need it and not have it". The stuff I actually use goes into a pocket once I climb up and I rarely dig into my pack once I settle in, only for water or a snack.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Goober

Unread postby Goober » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:52 pm

Stand with 5, maybe 6 sticks
3 arrows with broadheads and lighted nocks, one squirrel arrow
binos
pruning shears
milkweed
grunt tube
camelback with water (slides into backpack, very little movement required to drink while on stand, no noisy bottle)
paperback book
extra wool socks
GPS (maybe)
bow hanger
mdnabors

Unread postby mdnabors » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:49 pm

muddy wrote:
GRFox wrote:The more crap you bring the more movement you have so you can use it all, the more weight you have on your back and you really never use half of it anyway.

I hear that but I've always been an advocate of "It's better to have it and not use it than to need it and not have it". The stuff I actually use goes into a pocket once I climb up and I rarely dig into my pack once I settle in, only for water or a snack.

My motto too Muddy. Dang I take as much or more than all of you. Especially since I film all my hunts and the camera arm and camera add to the weight for sure. I just hate not having something I may need and I agree...I keep the most commonly used things at pocket's reach. I'm in stand at least a hour early so I have plenty of time to get everything ready and let the woods settle. All my stands are pre hung so no sticks or stand with me so that obviously lightens the load.
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference"
mcmidc

Unread postby mcmidc » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:32 pm

For morning or evening sits i take
stand and sticks
Bow, quiver and arrows or rifle
release and arm guard
Headlamp and flashlight
cell phone
gps and compass
wind checkers
water
small saw
On all day sits i add in lunch, thermos with coffee and hand/foot/body warmers(these have made all day sits so much nicer). I always pack my stand and stuff out first so i just keep all my field dressing equipment in the truck and bring it back in with the sled if i need it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:46 am

With the cold coming in I definately have extra clothes to put on as the sun dips.......
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:56 am

The obvious - bow, release, arrows, etc..

Then on my back is my stand and sticks, and a fanny pack strapped to my stand..which contains-

*Harness rope
*Compass
*Saw
*TP
*Bow Hanger
*Couple small bow hooks
*Camera
*Pull-Up Rope
*Rangefinder
*Headlamp

In my pocket is my windchecker (milkweed), gps if Im on new property, a small pocket knife, and my cell phone.

I still feel like I take too much crap, but there really isnt anything else I can leave behind..

I dont even bring my gutting knife with me.. Figure I can always go back to the truck and get it - Well that and Im colorblind as could be, so I need to go get help to track the deer anyways, so I can grab the rest of my crap then..

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”